• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Hurting Each Other on CAROL BURNETT SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam89

Richard and Karen performing HURTING EACH OTHER on Carol Burnett Show...just saw this for the first time on youtube....

No problem...I also saw a clip of RC playing piano for Carol where Carol sits on the piano keys!!

An interesting tangent to this video is that, once I watched it, there were links to other videos at youtube, including a 1978 interview of Bette Midler. I was wondering whether the Carpenters would be mentioned in the interview (given the link); and sure enough, they were (after the 6:20 mark).

Most fans remember (or know the story) of Bette's interactions with the Carpenters: (1) I guess she (playfully?) made fun of them in her act; (2) Karen and Richard presented Bette with her Grammy for Best New Artist, in which Bette was sarcastically fawning over them upon meeting them onstage---I am old enough to remember watching the broadcast live; and (3) Bette subsequently dedicating "Superstar" to Karen in her concerts after Karen's passing. I don't have the entire history, but this is a basic summary.

Anyway, in this 1978 interview of Bette, she talks about Karen with praise and admiration, not only for Karen's great voice but also for Karen's drum playing, and she has more details about that milestone Grammy moment. It's a very sweet anecdote, one that provides a cathartic missing link for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom