• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

I hate this picture!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we just get this thread removed entirely? Harry? Rudy?

There is no reason that anyone should have posted this here (even though Andrew apparently "had" to post it).

Dan

I think it's OK to post a LINK to the offending page, since it leaves viewing discretion up to the person reading the message. (Maybe with a warning that the picture at the link is in bad taste.) The picture didn't bother me personally--I've seen far uglier things on the 'net (I guess one becomes numbed to it after awhile), and unfortunately the persons who create these images probably won't remove them at anyone's request. They hide behind "free speech" excuses and phony e-mail addresses.

I wish there was a way to bring it to the attention of someone in the Carpenters camp, but I'm flat out convinced they don't even know we exist.

This whole incident's nothing to be upset over either. And if a link to that web page prompts one or two folks here to "go vigilante" and try to get it removed on their own, it's not entirely bad either. Sometimes the increased awareness helps bring about a change.

Just post the link to the picture - and a warning that it's in poor taste.

The curious will go see it - those who wish not to will then not be offended here at the Corner.

I hope you'll continue to post here Andrew - your sharp ears have turned up some interesting things regarding Carpenters recordings.

Harry

I don't know what the pic was but I'll add my 2 cents. :D

There lots of pictures of Richard & Karen on the net, so I probably have already seen it anyway, however with that said, I'd rather this site be used to up lift the duo rather than show something that is less disturbing. If it's pics of Karen looking unhealthy or Richard not looking great, believe me there not hard to find just search the net youll find them.

But I think if something like that is going to be posted here, it should be given with some kind of warning about what we are about to see if we go there. it's only fair. Saying that I hate the pic could mean anything, really.

With that said, please don't stop posting over something like this Andrew, it's not worth not having you here. :)

Well, actually, if Andrew didn't post it, someone else may have. Nothing to get upset about. But if a photo DOES upset someone enough to take action and try to get the person posting it to remove it from their website, then maybe we've done just a little bit of good in the world. It isn't really a BAD picture, just a stupid one IMHO.

Just my rather worthless two cents....

What's so terrible about this picture? It's just a bad joke, but it doesn't offend me in any way. After reading the warning, I had thought " My God, what will I see? Shall I look at it, or rather not?"

Bruno
on a rainy sunday afternoon

That's it? This is the picture that caused so much trouble? What a tempest in a teapot. This picture is really just a stupid, poorly written (What the hell does "mental brain" mean? Is there any other kind of brain?), juvenile attempt at humor, and it doesn't succeed on any level. But it's hardly anything to get all bent out of shape over.

I've seen and heard far worse. Have any of you ever seen Joan Rivers rip into Karen Carpenter? Now that's offensive.

Tony

Well, there was another thread here which had a link to an even more offensive picture--a drawing of Karen. That, I thought, was even worse. :mad:

I really don't see any kind of a "connection" in that photo of Karen, or maybe I just don't get the joke. :rolleyes:

It just seems as though people are just out to poke fun at others in every possible way they can--even if a lot of their "tactics" don't make a lot of sense--like this one doesn't. :confused:

Dave

I suppose tasteless photos of any celebrity one can name are floating around online. If it truly offended me, I would simply ignore it rather than dignify it by passing the link around.
Doing so just provides free advertising.
JB

In all fairness, Andrew was just presenting it as an attention-getter, wondering if there was a way to get it removed from the 'net. And as I said earlier, if someone were to get motivated enough to campaign for its removal, that's all for the better. I did not find it that offensive either, just juvenile...and not in any way humorous, which is apparently what the creator intended. There are far worse things out there; let's just let it pass.

In some cases, massive e-mailing campaigns can work. On another forum I frequent, one of the members is autistic, and has his photo posted online on his own home page. He does look different, but someone latched onto the photo and put his image on an "ugly people" website. When the forum found out, there were literally a couple hundred members bombarding these websites with requests or demands for removal, or at least just pointing out how tasteless their actions are. The majority of the sites removed his photo, and some good did come of it. I just think it's too easy for someone to throw together a web page and put up anything they want on it, and hide under a false umbrella of "free speech".

It will be interesting to see how the libel laws evolve when it comes to online activity. As it stands anyone who is considered a 'public figure' is fair game, at least in the U.S. However, that's not the case in every nation, so it's conceivable someone claiming to have had his or her reputation damaged by world-wide pubication of a defamatory article or photo might be free to shop around for a friendly jurisdiction.

I agree the better course is to ignore it, or conduct a protest if one is inclined, but one of these days someone will get incensed enough to sue - maybe in England. While they're unlikely to collect damages, they could make life miserable for the offender.
JB

I thought of one possibility: has anyone seen the original photo before? If so, would anyone know who owns the copyright? Unauthorized use at the very least. A legal contact from the copyright holder might be enough to dissuade someone from using and defacing the photograph.

I would think that A&M (Universal) would own it. I think that it is the picture taken the same day that the picture on the Christmas Collection was taken.

I don't consider this all that offensive, at least not in comparison to the photo that is featured on that bootleg, you know the one with Karen talking on the phone in her bra and underwear. Word has it that was a personal photo that slipped out of the Carpenter home much to Richard's dismay. Now THAT was tacky! -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom