If "Whipped Cream" is released again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
bob knack said:
Kai Winding-"More" The theme from the movie Mondo Cane. Translation: "The World is Going to the Dogs". Kai was part of the famous Kai & JJ Trombone Jazz group.

Classical Gas-Mason Williams?

Yep, Mason Williams did CLASSICAL GAS...

Dan

So it was the LP that failed to hit #1???

--Mr Bill
who recalls that one or the other hit #1, but not both

The album Rise made it as high as #6 and was on the charts for 19 weeks.

In order, Herb's albums rank this way on the Top 40:

Code:
Date___	Chrt	Wks	#of	
Charted	Pos_	@pk	Wks	Album Title
---------------------------------------------------------------
12/06/69	_30	___	__5	Brass Are Comin'
08/09/80	_28	___	__4	Beyond
07/19/69	_28	___	__7	Warm
04/25/87	_18	___	_17	Keep Your Eye On Me
03/05/66	_17	___	_13	Volume 2
01/26/63	_10	___	_51	Lonely Bull
10/20/79	__6	___	_19	Rise
12/18/65	__6	___	_52	South Of The Border
12/30/67	__4	___	_18	Herb Alpert's Ninth
12/17/66	__2	__6	_38	S.R.O.
06/10/67	__1	__1	_36	Sounds Like
05/18/68	__1	__2	_28	Beat Of The Brass
11/06/65	__1	__6	107	Going Places
06/12/65	__1	__8	141	Whipped Cream
05/21/66	__1	__9	_59	What Now My Love

Note: the rankings above consider the number of weeks at #1 a higher factor than the number of weeks on the chart. Looked at the other way around, Whipped Cream at 141 weeks would beat out What Now My Love at only 59 weeks.

Figures are from the Billboard Book of Top 40 Albums by Joel Whitburn.

Harry
...still humming Simon & Garfunkel tunes after seeing them last evening, online...

Mason Williams is still making music, and recently issued an EP of six instrumentals titled "Music for the Epicurean Harkener". Like an increasing number of performers, he's selling the disc thru his website for eight bucks - http://www.masonwilliams-online.com/ will take you there.

"Mambo Sinuendo" is a terrific album (Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban mostly playing guitars with a very latin sound, but of course a great trumpet solo on the title track from someone we all know...) especially the verion of "Secret Love" which charted here in the UK in 1964 for torch singer Kathy Kirby.

And one of the discoveries of my web station is Elliot Levine http://www.elliotlevine.com/ whose home-published album "The Funk, the Whole Funk and Nothin' but the Funk" is full of brilliant instrumentals with a jazz base. Regulars here will like it a lot.

Lots of good instrumentals out there still, but you need the web to find 'em!

Harry said:
...still humming Simon & Garfunkel tunes after seeing them last evening, online...

Of course, we'll be waiting for the Full Report™. :thumbsup:

:D

Warm didn't actually chart too poorly, compared to the later albums. It's just a natural drop-off in interest, like just about every other band out there.

Harry said:
The album Rise made it as high as #6 and was on the charts for 19 weeks.

In order, Herb's albums rank this way on the Top 40:

Code:
Date___	Chrt	Wks	#of	
Charted	Pos_	@pk	Wks	Album Title
---------------------------------------------------------------
12/06/69	_30	___	__5	Brass Are Comin'
08/09/80	_28	___	__4	Beyond
07/19/69	_28	___	__7	Warm
04/25/87	_18	___	_17	Keep Your Eye On Me
03/05/66	_17	___	_13	Volume 2
01/26/63	_10	___	_51	Lonely Bull
10/20/79	__6	___	_19	Rise
12/18/65	__6	___	_52	South Of The Border
12/30/67	__4	___	_18	Herb Alpert's Ninth
12/17/66	__2	__6	_38	S.R.O.
06/10/67	__1	__1	_36	Sounds Like
05/18/68	__1	__2	_28	Beat Of The Brass
11/06/65	__1	__6	107	Going Places
06/12/65	__1	__8	141	Whipped Cream
05/21/66	__1	__9	_59	What Now My Love

Note: the rankings above consider the number of weeks at #1 a higher factor than the number of weeks on the chart. Looked at the other way around, Whipped Cream at 141 weeks would beat out What Now My Love at only 59 weeks.

Figures are from the Billboard Book of Top 40 Albums by Joel Whitburn.

Harry

Interesting that SOTB did better than TLB after being rereleased, and WC was on the album charts for nearly 3 years!

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Interesting that SOTB did better than TLB after being rereleased, and WC was on the album charts for nearly 3 years!

SOB was a much better album than LB, so I'm a little surprised that it didn't do better.

Capt. Bacardi

I think WNML's shorter chart performance can be explained. By that time, the TJB had a built in fan base that would be well aware of a new album coming out and would "rush out" to buy it. Thus the sales happened faster than they did back in the earlier days when people were slowly discovering them.

I do think WNML is listed as their best selling album, correct?

:sad:
I'm new to the forum, which even I find hard to believe since I consider myself somewhat of a die-hard fan of the old TJB. It's rather sad that we all feel, as I do in a way, that there's very little future (as far as sales is concerned) in re-releasing TJB material at this "late hour", but then we should ask ourselves, why are we still here? I'm a firm believer in the power of the internet, right now it's proof positive that older musical interests can be brought back to life if we voice our opinions loudly and channel them in the right direction. Many recording companies are re-mastering tons of 60's material and making it available again, all they need to know is that there will be at least a ball park figure of possible buyers. Rhino has been releasing limited editions of re-issues, such as the Young Rascals box. All we need to do is find a way to make ourselves known. What do you think, webmasters?

Unfortunatly, the people that are currently running these (A&M) archives apparently don't have a clue about their product- clear and simple.
Most Important- Welcome Aboard!

The one thing to remember is that it's NOT necessary for a reissue to sell millions of copies to be considered a success. There are two types of reissues -- the standard type, such as on Rhino, that go to all the stores; and the "Rhino Handmade / Hip-O Select" type that are pre-sold and sent only to the people who order them (plus a very few extra copies are probably made, I would guess.)

The standard reissue is considered a huge success if it sells anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 copies. Those limited editions might only sell in the high hundreds to be considered successful. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that a Herb reissue might sell 50,000 copies in the US, if it was promoted properly.

That is why I really am digging Napster- and transfering to CDR and my Napster MP3 player. And it's getting a pretty fat catalog! :D

Steven J. Gross said:
That is why I really am digging Napster- and transfering to CDR and my Napster MP3 player. And it's getting a pretty fat catalog! :D

Is Herb on the new Napster? I haven't looked into the new site, but I heard that his music wasn't available on it.

Dan

Rhino Handmade and Hip-O Select are not made to order items but pressed in limited quanities one time only. For everybody's info-Collector's Choice also carries the Rhino Handmade catalog-they are probably ordering these on an "as needed" basis but I have found that their printed catalog is nice to browse through at my convenience. They are charging the same amount(usually about 20 bucks per disc) plus frieight. I wonder if Universal may use them and/or use their own Ebay presence to sell some of the Hip-O titles? Mosaic,a mail order jazz label with economic ties to EMI(and a benchmark for box sets) has occasionally put certain titles through retail outlets(e.g.-Tower & Borders have carried their Duke Ellington/Capitol box). mac

Hey Dan,
Believe it or not- Herb is NOT YET on Napster- Sergio, The Carpenters, Cat, Burt Bacharach and most everything else- is. Since I have been a Herb audiophile type- I don't even notice. Worth looking into, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom