• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions - Continued

"Until I hold the jewel case in my hand, and put my finger into the hole in the CD, I will not believe."

This ^^^ is exactly how I was feeling the morning of October 8, 1996, waiting for the postman to deliver the solo album by mail order. Would it actually arrive or would there be some sort of notification that A&M had had second thoughts (again) and withdrawn it? I honestly remember thinking that. But no, the postman rang the doorbell and delivered it into my hands around 9.30am, right on the day of its release. I rushed upstairs to my room, unwrapped the cellophane, lifted the (mint green!) disc out of the jewel case, put on my headphones, lay on the floor and pressed play...

••••••••••••

Interlude: I'd heard the first batch of solo tracks on 'Lovelines' in 1990 and had immediately fallen in love with them. They stood out from all the other songs on that album as a total breath of fresh air - and many friends and relatives I played them to said the same. Here was sultry, sexy Karen. Not what I'd been used to in the past - and I loved the sound. It was like someone had rejuvenated her and brought her into the 1990s. Two more tracks followed on the box set a year later, that I loved just as much. The minute I saw the '1979' date on the rear cover and read Richard's "from the sublime to the disco with this catchy period piece" comment, I knew this was more solo material. Now we had six tracks. Then in 1995 came the Yahoo group bootleg tape, with the rest of the material sounding like Karen was on helium and singing at 1.5x the usual speed, because it had been copied countless times, degrading the overall quality to the point where they were virtually unlistenable. I was nervous...the sound quality was awful and it was impossible to gauge what the production values were like on the rest of these tracks. I remember wondering whether that's why the album had been shelved and that the ones I'd heard on 'Lovelines' only sounded that good because Richard had slaved over them to complete them from their awful-sounding, unfinished state.

••••••••••••

...anyway, back to my bedroom floor. As soon as I heard the opening drums of 'Lovelines', I knew this wasn't going to be a simple cut and paste job from the 1989 Carpenters album. The intro was longer, the mix was different and Karen's voice didn't sound as 'present' on that particular track. It didn't bother me too much - I was just relieved that all the other tracks I'd heard on that dodgy cassette tape were also in amazing , sparkling stereo quality and when I read the liner notes, it became apparent they had been finished all along. Up to that point, we had been led to believe from various sources that the album was never completed, and that this was the reason it had been shelved. Yet here was Phil Ramone telling us in the liner notes that the song selections, mixes and everything else were exactly as Karen has approved them. I have to say, one emotion I remember feeling was of being duped, and cheated on Karen's behalf.

Regarding the artwork and photography that we have discussed so much on this thread, I remember looking at it thinking it was dire, but not caring too much, because I was far more interested in the liner notes and the prize that was inside.

I've left a track-by-track commentary on several other threads so I won't repeat it again here. Suffice to say, I've still got that original CD and it's still an album I can put on any time and enjoy immensely. Was it her greatest musical moment? Of course not. But the fact it's all her, that she sounds great, that she poured her heart and soul into it and that the tracks still hold up today, makes it just as special to me almost thirty years on as it was the day I first heard it in its entirety.

Last edited:
Since this subject is ALWAYS and ONLY about Karen's solo album being released "on time" back in 1980, you have to remember how extremely 'cold' Karen and Carpenters were in the eyes of the public. They were yesterday's news and looked upon as some relic joke of the past. No radio station was touching them - and I'm speaking of the US here. Even their golden hits from the early 70s were omitted from radio playlists. And lets not forget the power that radio had in that time. MTV wasn't around yet. Heck, home VCRs were still a new thing. So if you wanted a hit record, radio was still king.

This whole time was a fork in the road. Release Karen's album and there are two ways it can go. It's either a hit or a flop. The experts, knowing the lay of the land, the status of Carpenters as an act, didn't hear anything that said "MONSTER HIT". The other fork was to shelve this and try to re-establish Carpenters as a valued brand. I think we can all see that this was a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.

Richard obviously heard some "songs" he liked, not necessarily the recordings. And "Make Believe..." was reworked, and the other songs were remixed for an anniversary album (LOVELINES) when little else was left.

And finally in 1996, out came the whole album - and it, to date, still has gone nowhere.

We'll never know what could have happened with Karen's solo album. Phil Ramone promoting it would have meant very little. Richard promoting it would have meant equally little. The reason for that is obvious: neither of them is her. Had she been around to promote the release of the record through all the traditional means, we might be having a very different discussion about it...but we'll never know that for sure. Yes, Carpenters were commercially cold as ice. I contend that there was nothing to lose. Carpenters did end up getting back together to record "Made in America" which hardly set the world on fire. Hitting #16 with a comeback single isn't at all what Carpenters needed. It was over and they were the last ones to know it. Karen releasing her solo album was no more a financial risk than Carpenters releasing new work.

Ed

I had a thought about why most Carpenters documentaries when talking of the solo album always play ‘My Body Keeps Changing My Mind’. They don’t tend to play other songs from it and I wonder if it’s because they were trying to show that the solo album and its songs were a way for Karen to show she was trying to expand her musical horizons . It’s like they were saying “this is a different album to the ones from the Carpenters “ Because Karen was asked by Richard to not do any disco - she did anyway and it’s quite a catchy song. It shows us she was capable of branching from the traditional more Carpenters sounds and go along with what was popular at the time. She was experimenting with different styles

I had a thought about why most Carpenters documentaries when talking of the solo album always play ‘My Body Keeps Changing My Mind’. They don’t tend to play other songs from it and I wonder if it’s because they were trying to show that the solo album and its songs were a way for Karen to show she was trying to expand her musical horizons . It’s like they were saying “this is a different album to the ones from the Carpenters “ Because Karen was asked by Richard to not do any disco - she did anyway and it’s quite a catchy song. It shows us she was capable of branching from the traditional more Carpenters sounds and go along with what was popular at the time. She was experimenting with different styles
There's that Richard quote, "don't do disco".
I wonder if they were worried the fortunes of the album would be caught in the toxic narrative being disseminated via radioland at the time, driving the demise of disco, as is documented elsewhere. I'm not saying the album is disco.
But that phenomenon of 1979-80 which saw the sudden shift in music taste, with the cultural impact of disco very much swinging to the negative, would have coincided with the completion of the solo project. Maybe it simply failed on the sniff test of a suddenly changed environment around musical taste... and was simply a case of bad timing.
Has there been a discussion here about that and how Karen's album would have fared within that context?
Look what happened to the Bee gees that year.

I've always thought of the solo album as post-disco in sound.
Maybe, but I'm not sure that would have mattered. Anything with even a hint of disco was starting to get shunned, or worse, by that time. The 1979 "Disco Demolition Night" in Chicago probably hastened things, but the handwriting was on the wall ... for a variety of reasons, many of them not good. And some of the blame for that lands on the caustic humor doorstep I mentioned earlier, which was gaining traction at that time.

^^ Agreed. There was more than a hint of 'disco' on the solo album, which added fuel to whatever jokes the comics might have lobbied at Karen. If you didn't live through that time, it can be hard to understand the lay of the land.

^^ Agreed. There was more than a hint of 'disco' on the solo album, which added fuel to whatever jokes the comics might have lobbied at Karen. If you didn't live through that time, it can be hard to understand the lay of the land.
Agreed - had to be there. Doubtless, as you say, having a few disco-sounding songs would have made easy fodder for comics and "critics" to lambaste the album. But then it's my contention they would have disliked it regardless, in the same manner as they disliked most Carpenters stuff - most critics are, if nothing else, lazy - they prejudge and then write as though they've actually listened with a discerning, impartial, objective ear. Hah!

I would add that when the album finally WAS released, there were some decent (if not rave) reviews of Karen's solo album...but by then, critics were seeing it through a more sensitive lens, given her passing, and the rabid critical writing-style of the 70's had mellowed (although just a tinge).

I was about 10 at the time, I certainly remember the "disco is dead" t-shirts. Speaking of critics Paul Grein whom we are all familiar with and has been quoted many times in these threads has said, "would there have been hits? You bet." I am respectful of arguments on both sides although I'm in agreement with him. One issue I have is that Ethel Merman's disco album was released in the same year. Why wouldn't the disco fears have applied to that one especially when far more than merely disco tinged as Karen's album was? Just contributing thoughts, not trying to rile anything up, very cautiously....

One issue I have is that Ethel Merman's disco album was released in the same year. Why wouldn't the disco fears have applied to that one especially when far more than merely disco tinged as Karen's album was?

The big difference is Ethel Merman released her album in the 1979, not 1980. The Bee Gees were still flying high with singles like 'Tragedy'. I haven't heard the album but I looked it up and it was totally lampooned at the time. The Globe and Mail panned "the type of mundane, unimaginative disco back-beat that the trendsetters abandoned years ago".

If one thing let Karen's album down, it was the timing. It's hard to believe she went from tracks like 'Love Makin' Love To You' to the syrupy, chorale and string-laden medley for Music, Music, Music within just a few months.

Last edited:
Why was she even recording tracks that had any hint of disco? Shouldn’t Phil have steered her away from those type songs given that this album was not going to be released in 79’. I mean he’s the producer and he should have known better even if she really wanted to record songs with a disco flair. Doesn’t some fault lie on Phil? Shouldn’t Phil have said look now it’s 1980 let’s regroup this so there are no disco type tracks. It’s all too late by then, right.

Why was she even recording tracks that had any hint of disco? Shouldn’t Phil have steered her away from those type songs given that this album was not going to be released in 79’. I mean he’s the producer and he should have known better even if she really wanted to record songs with a disco flair. Doesn’t some fault lie on Phil? Shouldn’t Phil have said look now it’s 1980 let’s regroup this so there are no disco type tracks. It’s all too late by then, right.
She genuinely liked it. It's what she wanted to do. The whole point was to try new things and explore. One of her favorite songs at the time was "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer, she told Phil she would love to do something like that. She was having fun. Phil Ramone seems to me guided her in the directions she expressed she wanted to go in

While disco was on it's last legs for sure in 1980, there were still smash disco hits - think Cool and the Gang's "Celebration" or the songs "Funky Town" (Lipps Inc, if memory serves) and "I'm coming Out" (Diana Ross) - all #1 hits in 1980.

She genuinely liked it. It's what she wanted to do.

I've never read anything about Karen's feelings regarding disco music, although it makes sense to me that she probably did like it.

Personally, I think this speaks to my earlier post about a lack of focus and direction for the album. Karen wanted a hit, of course - and doing a little disco was "covering the bases" perhaps?

"Funky Town" (Lipps Inc, if memory serves)

Your memory serves you well. Me and a few friends used to dance to that track in the late 1990s in a great retro Seventies nightclub near me called 'Roxanne's'. It even had a sunken dancefloor that lit up, with the viewing area all around the outside so people could watch those on the floor. Think John Travolta on the dance floor in Saturday Night Fever (I don't mean me :laugh:). Great times that we still reminisce about now, even though they were 20 years after the original era.

I've never read anything about Karen's feelings regarding disco music, although it makes sense to me that she probably did like it.

Personally, I think this speaks to my earlier post about a lack of focus and direction for the album. Karen wanted a hit, of course - and doing a little disco was "covering the bases" perhaps?
It's in Little Girl Blue, she told Phil she thought a lot of disco songs were "beautiful."

She may have liked disco but that doesn’t mean she should have recorded any music for it. I personally feel that type of genre did not suite her voice. Look at Olivia, she never recorded any of that during 78-80.

It seems her solo album didn’t have any real direction. Still think Phil was not the best producer for her, in fact I never liked the album he produced with Olivia.

She may have liked disco but that doesn’t mean she should have recorded any music for it. I personally feel that type of genre did not suite her voice. Look at Olivia, she never recorded any of that during 78-80.

It seems her solo album didn’t have any real direction. Still think Phil was not the best producer for her, in fact I never liked the album he produced with Olivia.
I understand how you and some others feel but I've always really liked it. It's upbeat, lively, adventurous, I think everyone involved did a fantastic job.

I don’t consider Physical disco music at all. I also don’t consider Xanadu a disco album, the movie represented a whole era of different types of music, big band, Pop Rock, country and everything in between. The Xanadu album was not a disco album.

There were many artists who shouldn't have gone anywhere near 'disco', but it seemed irresistible to many. Remember, Herb Alpert had gone into the studio with Randy Badazz with the idea of re-doing some Tijuana Brass songs with a disco beat. He had enough sense to call that quits, but ended up recording the #1 slow-burn "Rise".

The Ethel Merman thing was, I think, a tongue-in-cheek, do-it-on-a-lark kind of thing. I'm sure it was never intended to be serious.

Even Sergio Mendes got swept up in the disco thing. "Summer Dream" from 1979.

Back
Top Bottom