• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Maybe It's You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

This topic was brought up by Jorge (JonnyAngel) over at the Leadsister forum & thought it was worth crediting here. He says:

"Does anybody noticed a tiny difference between the original "Close To You" version and "From The Top" version in Karen's vocals?

"..Never been the kind that can pass a lucky penny by..."

Me:
I wasn't aware that there were 2 different leads recorded by Karen on this track. Is this true?

1. Original track on Close to You
2. Treasures-Japan Set remix 1987 version
3. From the Top-Remixed 1990 version

Karen sounds slightly higher in pitch on the opening verses on the Treasures track. Is this a whole different vocal lead? I realize that Richard added the DX-7 on this for Treasures in 1987 but the lead does sound different to me. Richard doesn't say in the liner notes that he is uses a different vocal lead. Also does Karen sound a tab slower on the Treasures track?

Now when I listen to the 1990 remix on From the Top is doesn't quite sound the same as the vocal lead on the 1987 mix.

Then why would Richard use one lead on the 87 & then go back to the other lead on the 90 version. Why would he switch back & forth.

Are these really 2 separate leads by Karen or does it just sound like it from the way Richard mixed it.

I tried to search the archives by using Maybe it's you but nothing came up.

Have we talked about this here?

BIG suprise on the track "Maybe It's You." This was a new remix for this collection, and not only was the track remixed with new keyboards (different from the 1987 remix, by the way), it contains an ALTERNATE VOCAL TAKE on verse one -- Karen actually sings the phrase "that I've never been the kind who can pass a lucky penny by" differently (both in terms of timing of the phrase and one of the notes she sings) than the 1970 original release or the 1987 remix. Unfortunately, the liner notes don't say anything about this change, so I don't know if this was an alternate lead vocal track (work lead or other take) recorded at the time, or if this was re-recorded later (like the re-recorded lead vocals for "Ticket to Ride," "Top of the World" and a few others).

From the wonderful site by David Grant.

Chris, do a comparison of "lucky penny by." The timing is different. "By" lasts longer.

Hi folks!
Now, reading Chris' post I realized that there are chances that this tiny difference has to be with the way that Richard remixed it, but I still think that these versions has different Karen's lead. It's not the same thing with "Crystal Lullaby" remix in which Richard corrected "Tumtimes when I listen to..." to "Sometimes when I listen to.."

Regards

Jorge

Hey Folks!!
I asked this same question about "Maybe it's you" to Richard Carpenter thru' the official web-site and this is his answer:

Good ears! In 1970, we punched in and got "maybe it's---- just that I have never been the kind who can pass a lucky penny by," as we weren't happy especially with "penny by" on the master lead. The trouble was, it was recorded on a different day and the sound and reverb don't quite match when remixed the second time, so we went back to the original."

Cheers!

Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom