• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Merry Christmas Darling "The CD Single"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

What would you think if Richard had decided in the past few yrs to have issued a physical CD Single of "Merry Christmas Darling". Do you think it would sell in stores or online retail shops. I know we are in an age of downloading but I still think alot of people buy physical CD's. Richard could write liner notes about each song. Would it sell? Would it sell out? Limited Edition?

Let's hear your ideas and what you would like to see on it, what should the cover art be?

Here is my idea:
Merry Christmas Darling-CD Single by Carpenters

Track 1 Merry Christmas Darling-Original 1970 version
Track 2 Merry Christmas Darling-1978 version
Track 3 Merry Christmas Darling-Live version 1978 from Bruce Forsyth TV Show
Track 4 Merry Christmas Darling-Karaoke version
Hidden Bonus Track-Alternate Version of Ave Maria

Cool. There was a Japanese CD single of this song, but there was a misspelling- it was Merry Christmas DARING. It was one of those smaller CDs (i.e., in terms of diameter).

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Here is my idea:

Track 4 Merry Christmas Darling-Karaoke version

In lieu of the live performance (which could be complicated, rights-wise), it could include the 1992 Time-Life remix. That one hasn't been heard by all that many people.

Harry

Oh, your right Harry, I missed that one, I knew there was another. Although I'm not quite sure Richard would include it as it's a bit of a misfit to my hears, sorta like that speed up Ave Maria on FTP boxset.

Here's an updated list, are there anymore??

Track 4 Merry Christmas Darling-1992 Time Life Version w/ keyboard/piano re-recorded
Track 5 Merry Christmas Darling-Karaoke version

I guess we will never know if they did record BOTH Ave Maria's...Schubert/Bach-Gonaud. They could have recorded an instrumental of the latter, but just decided not to cut it and went instead with the Bach version...I would have loved to have had her do the Caccini version of AVE MARIA...that would have been out of this world...especially with her crystalline range...

I would buy it just for the alternate Ave Maria and an official live MCD. Though, I don't see how copywrite would not let Richard use it. The only thing I can think of that would stop it releasing is when Karen goes "Merry Christmas, Brucey". And I think they did record both versions. At least with Karen's work lead on the alternate (just not finished).

The audio and video of the television performance belong to whoever controls the rights to the Bruce Forsythe show. Permissions and such would have to be worked out for whatever territory(s) in which this mythical single were going to be released. That could be a pretty expensive proposition for a "single".

Thus the reason I suggested that the live version be deleted and in its place, the already-in-Richard-and-A&M's-control Time-Life remix.

Naturally any previously unreleased tidbit would be huge to big fans like found here, but the reality is that there aren't that many of "us" to make such a proposition a big enough sale to justify the costs involved in production and distrubution of a pressed disc.

Harry

Well I guess in reality if this were to ever materialize the live version from the BFS would not be included but I think it's one her her finest performances. The costs of this may haunt Richard back to ATGB days of yore.

A better choice from a marketing standpoint would be to include one of their other hits such as The Christmas Song or better yet the single version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

To the general public, I bet this CD would sell alot because the public who may not be huge fans of the Carpenters will look at the CD and say, OMG I love that song, it's one of my fav Christmas songs and there more opt in buying a single then a whole album of their songs. So in that sense it could be a seller if marketed correctly. Stickers placed on front, One of the worlds most loved ballads never before released as a single CD, "Merry Christmas Darling" CD single collectors edition with bonus tracks. I mean com'on there has to be money in this somewhere, huh? :D

I'd use the single version of "Santa Claus..." with the original sax solo in it, not the later remix.

Oh BTW...doesn't it need a couple of remixes? Maybe one by Thievery Corporation? Or a mash-up with Black Eyed Peas? :D

Spreading merriment (hopefully :wink: )...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
So in that sense it could be a seller if marketed correctly. Stickers placed on front, One of the worlds most loved ballads never before released as a single CD, "Merry Christmas Darling" CD single collectors edition with bonus tracks. I mean com'on there has to be money in this somewhere, huh? :D

Perfect for the checkout lanes in grocery stores, Target, Walmart, etc.

Harry

Harry said:
The audio and video of the television performance belong to whoever controls the rights to the Bruce Forsythe show. Permissions and such would have to be worked out for whatever territory(s) in which this mythical single were going to be released. That could be a pretty expensive proposition for a "single".

I read that the video for We've only just begun for the Gold DVD was also recorded for broadcasting on someone else's TV show, so this is not impossible.

richard_sloat said:
Harry said:

I read that the video for We've only just begun for the Gold DVD was also recorded for broadcasting on someone else's TV show, so this is not impossible.

It was from an October 1971 Bob Hope TV special.

My point above is that the Bruce Forsyth Show is an international entity, being based in Great Britain. International rights are an entirely different and complicated matter. It's the reason why LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM and LIVE IN JAPAN are not released in the US.

Harry

Who else's rights are involved on those two albums apart from the Carpenters' ones themselves???? I doubt what you're saying... I bet they are not released in the US because Richard doesn't care enough about them, like he said himself in the official website.

Hmmmm...I purchased both Live at the Palladium and Live in Japan here in the U.S. Someone had to release them for me to be able to purchase them in a record store (at the time when record stores existed).

Right, imports are a whole 'nother ballgame. Sometimes (very rarely) an import will sell enough to cause the record label to decide on a domestic release. That happened with Cheap Trick's AT BUDOKAN album -- Epic Records had no plans to release it here, but stores (including ours) were selling the imported version by the boxload at over $25 a pop, so they finally relented and put it out. But it's one of those things that almost never happens.

Do people even buy CD singles anymore?

I doubt what you're saying...
Why would you doubt? He is correct... it's highly probable that the rights to those live recordings are owned (or co-owned) by some other entity besides Richard or A&M, and coupling that with the fact that Richard does not like live recordings, it's easy to see why they haven't surfaced in more countries.

Was the WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN on the GOLD dvd...was that not in 1973? For the Bob Hope Special....

Yes it was 1973. You can easily tell by Karen's haircut and weight (this was around the time she was using the trainer and had bulked up a bit).

Sorry, I might have mistaken the year above. I listened to Richard's commentary on the track and thought he said '71.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
I doubt what you're saying...
Why would you doubt? He is correct... it's highly probable that the rights to those live recordings are owned (or co-owned) by some other entity besides Richard or A&M, and coupling that with the fact that Richard does not like live recordings, it's easy to see why they haven't surfaced in more countries.

Just tell me WHO would that be. I can not think of anyone and of any reason for that. You shouldn't be saying "he IS CORRECT" and then "it's HIGHLY PROBABLE", do you know or do you not?

And when you told about the Cheap Trick album, you have not mentioned any question about whosever rights whatsoever (does that word exist, "whosever"??? Lol!).

You shouldn't be saying "he IS CORRECT" and then "it's HIGHLY PROBABLE", do you know or do you not?
I meant that Harry is correct that international releases are a complicated matter. And, I said it's "highly probable" that other entities own the rights to those concerts because it IS highly probable. But not definite.

In fact, it's also very possible that Richard owns all rights himself, which would explain why they haven't and likely won't be released in the U.S.

The situation with Cheap Trick -- I don't know what kind of negotiations had to happen for the album to be released here, but I'm sure the domestic company saw all those dollars flowing out of the country and had a big wake-up call followed by a hasty series of meetings. Plus, that band was never as big as the Carpenters were so it's quite possible that they had absolutely no say in the matter. In other words they didn't have as much power to make a decision as Richard Carpenter did (and does).

Admittedly a lot of the above is educated guesswork but as a person who has been in American music retail for nearly 40 years now, I think I'm fairly qualified to speculate.

Sorry, I might have mistaken the year above. I listened to Richard's commentary on the track and thought he said '71.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
The situation with Cheap Trick -- I don't know what kind of negotiations had to happen for the album to be released here, but I'm sure the domestic company saw all those dollars flowing out of the country and had a big wake-up call followed by a hasty series of meetings. Plus, that band was never as big as the Carpenters were so it's quite possible that they had absolutely no say in the matter. In other words they didn't have as much power to make a decision as Richard Carpenter did (and does).

You know, I THINK I have Cheap Trick's DVD Live in Budokan... well, it's live in SOMEWHERE... let's see... no, it is the LIVE IN AUSTRALIA one. Anyway, they're OK and they had a song which is one of my favorites ever, Surrender... that song ROCKS plus it is a great lyric, I think about MY mom and dad as I hear it... can you believe they're married for TWENTY NINE YEARS now and still they spend together every moment they can??? Sometimes I HATE them, I am the one who's on my late twenties and I was the one supposed to make much more sex than them!!!!!!! And I don't!!!! Still when Cheap Trick goes:

"Whatever happened to all this season's losers of the year?
Ev'ry time I got to thinking, where'd they disappear?
When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch.
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out."

I got wet eyes!! I don't know why, I just find it so beautiful!!! It's interesting my mom and my dad remind me of John Lennon and Yoko Ono in that sense and Cheap Trick have played in their Double fantasy album, which is one of my favorites ever, as I said a few times before. Their contributions didn't make it to the final cut though, people say Yoko found them to be taking some kind of advantge out of John and had them off the sessions.

Mike Blakesley said:
Admittedly a lot of the above is educated guesswork but as a person who has been in American music retail for nearly 40 years now, I think I'm fairly qualified to speculate.

That's great, in fact I'm amazed you are not QUITE SURE of it, being so experienced, lol! Whish my life was that fun, working with law is not any musical.

OK then, I'm quite sure.

I like "Surrender" too. One of the best rock & roll songs ever.

By the way that Cheap Trick BUDOKAN album has surfaced in several ways:

The original album
The extended version
The CD + DVD box set version which contains the whole concert, plus video

But unfortunately they don't cover "Merry Christmas Darling" on it. (Just trying to keep on topic!) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom