• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Merry Christmas Darling "The CD Single"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry said:
Perfect for the checkout lanes in grocery stores, Target, Walmart, etc.
Harry

Exactly, hey whatever sells and I have a feeling it would sell. Someone needs to put a bug in Richard's hear that this would make a great single and put some sparkle in the holiday season for next year. On the back of the single include photos that the single is taken from their original album and have someone market the heck out of it. (call taylor swift for help with marketing strategy) :laugh: If his Christmas CD is being shelved, he needs to channel his energy next Christmas season with something new for the fans.

I have a better idea...Merry Christmas Darling CD Single (with tracks listed above and include a limited edition DVD of the title song taken from their tv show. Donate all proceeds of the CD sales to a charity in honor of Karen. How about that for a fan sell out item. :D

This morning I heard MCD 1970 and I think I prefer it to the 1978. I like Karen's vocals as they seem a little huskier. Still like Christmas Portrait vocals absolutely! Especially Have Yourself.....But there's something to be said for original C's outings. Much like the '69 TICKET recording or the orig Top Of The World. Karen's post 1975 sound is a little edgier while later she is more refined and silky. Fascinating to have witnessed this transformation from '69-'82 first hand.

Jeff

Here is another idea that would be possible on this mythical CD single-a karaoke version of the song.

Harry

Harry said:
Here is another idea that would be possible on this mythical CD single-a karaoke version of the song.

Harry

I think I listed that as track #4 on my 1st post. :) It would be a cool one especially with backing vocals, suprised it never made it to the official karaoke CD. The karaoke CD really makes you appreciate all the work that went into the Carpenters songs by both Richard and Karen.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I think I listed that as track #4 on my 1st post. :) It would be a cool one especially with backing vocals, suprised it never made it to the official karaoke CD. The karaoke CD really makes you appreciate all the work that went into the Carpenters songs by both Richard and Karen.

Too bad they haven't used the original mixes...

I came upon an interesting story about MCD, I was not aware of. Thought you all might enjoy it as well.
The author goes on to say:

I met Frank Pooler in 1995, I was submitting a song to him called Triumpth of the Human Spirit that was to be used for the 1996 paralympic games, hoping that he could get Richard Carpenter to give it a listen. It was just before Christmas and when I delivered the cd he was sitting at the piano in the front of his home. I handed him the cd and told him the story about the possible licensing of the song by the paralympic comitte and he was interested. We talked a little about the impact the song could have and then the conversation turned to christmas songs. I told him that I loved the song Merry Christmas Darling and he smiled, and asked me if I would like to hear the story behind that song. Of course I said yes. He said that it was some lyrics that he wrote back in the 40's and it was about his relationship with his Fiance whom he was engaged to here in the U.S. and he was in WWII in Germany. It was Christmas time and he was lonesome and wrote these words to tell her how he felt being without her at Christmas.

He then told me that he was just eating dinner at a local restaurant and he said he did not eat home much since his wife passed and he said he was sitting there eating and there was an older lady eating across the dining hall from him and he said she looked familiar and asked her her name, she told him her name it turned out that she was his old sweetheart that he was engaged to during WWII. They both could not beleive it. Needless to say they had dinner together that night and he proceeded to tell her the story about the song Merry Christmas Darling and that the song was based on a letter that he wrote to her when he was lonesome at Christmas in Germany. He said she was speachless, and they both with a tear and a smile in their eyes finished dinner.

After Frank told me that story I was in tears. I love the song and I love the story behind it.

John C.
- john, lakewood, CA

Another thread reminded me of yet two more versions of the song, the surround sound version on the SACD, and the folddown stereo version on that same SACD.

Now, putting a surround sound version on a CD single would be techically problematic, but the stereo folddown *is* a different mix of the song.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom