New Karen Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony P, definitely agreed, it is Karen's talents and music that should always be foremost in our hearts and minds.
However, I simply observe that it is not necessarily this thread on this forum treating this documentary as
a 'Ghoul-fest', as that is almost how the program was pitched to the British audience. This episode focusing
on Karen's tragedy reached nearly two million people in the UK when first aired and did well ratings-wise.
However, while most fans on this forum recognize the mistakes in the program, the average viewer might not be
as aware of those mistakes, and that is a disservice to Karen's memory on the part of the program's producers.
As one who helped produce television newscasts in the late 1990's, I can tell you that those mistakes should not have
gotten through any creditable editing. If those mistakes remain upon airing, either the producer's are quite inept, or
they were meant to be aired for sensationalism.
Either way, a disservice to Karen Carpenter.

I agree, Gary. Some of those errors were large ones indeed. I know they're working under a deadline, but somebody was asleep at the wheel to miss things like incorrectly dated subtitles.

I wish it had a better ending. But with a show called Autopsy....What struck me were the parallels between anorexia ie: compulsion and that of my own substance abuse. I have said before that the recovery does sit squarely on the shoulders of the afflicted. However disease or even dis-ease is a grim forecast for many. I was told in treatment that 1 in 25 of us would claim one year of continuous sobriety out of the gate. Over the course of many moons now I've watched em fall like dominoes. I'd love to believe that given todays understanding of these maladies Karen could've risen to the challenge as mentioned in the doc. But I dunno cuz if Karen wasn't ready to wrestle the devil to defeat, the outcome would more than likely resemble that of '83. I had two stabs at this recovery thing. In '86-'94 total success til I let my guard down and POW!!! I began to dabble with everything all over again. 13 years of self torment resulted in 1 more opportunity to get it together. A moment of clarity said now or never. Sh*t or get off the pot. Leap of faith or what have you has garnered a better understanding of what makes me tick. Sounds simple to the non-sufferer, but choice and all that goes with it can be a heady time indeed. Still, thru the ranks of heroin, meth, coke and alcohol I persist to a happy, satisfied end. I don't judge other people by my experience here, however I dooooo believe if I can pull thru, anybody can. The single most uncomfortable, irritating emotion I must endure w/o sedative is grief. A lot of people do it. So can I. I'm trying to refine my approach to loss with dignity and self-respect. Self-annihilation isn't the journey I forecasted at the time of that Avatar pic. Clearly this AUTOPSY doc topic is thought provoking and hence I've reflected on what could've been my own episode. Karen had every fighting chance as we all do. The message I heard here is that her damage was done and the writing on the wall was in permanent marker. The reminder for me is that I get one liver, heart and all the guts once. Who knows when the final line is crossed? Actually, Karen inspires me in a round-a-bout way....kinda like hang on little brother death could be you.

Keepin on and on,

Jeff

I wish it had a better ending. But with a show called Autopsy....What struck me were the parallels between anorexia ie: compulsion and that of my own substance abuse. I have said before that the recovery does sit squarely on the shoulders of the afflicted. However disease or even dis-ease is a grim forecast for many. I was told in treatment that 1 in 25 of us would claim one year of continuous sobriety out of the gate. Over the course of many moons now I've watched em fall like dominoes. I'd love to believe that given todays understanding of these maladies Karen could've risen to the challenge as mentioned in the doc. But I dunno cuz if Karen wasn't ready to wrestle the devil to defeat, the outcome would more than likely resemble that of '83. I had two stabs at this recovery thing. In '86-'94 total success til I let my guard down and POW!!! I began to dabble with everything all over again. 13 years of self torment resulted in 1 more opportunity to get it together. A moment of clarity said now or never. Sh*t or get off the pot. Leap of faith or what have you has garnered a better understanding of what makes me tick. Sounds simple to the non-sufferer, but choice and all that goes with it can be a heady time indeed. Still, thru the ranks of heroin, meth, coke and alcohol I persist to a happy, satisfied end. I don't judge other people by my experience here, however I dooooo believe if I can pull thru, anybody can. The single most uncomfortable, irritating emotion I must endure w/o sedative is grief. A lot of people do it. So can I. I'm trying to refine my approach to loss with dignity and self-respect. Self-annihilation isn't the journey I forecasted at the time of that Avatar pic. Clearly this AUTOPSY doc topic is thought provoking and hence I've reflected on what could've been my own episode. Karen had every fighting chance as we all do. The message I heard here is that her damage was done and the writing on the wall was in permanent marker. The reminder for me is that I get one liver, heart and all the guts once. Who knows when the final line is crossed? Actually, Karen inspires me in a round-a-bout way....kinda like hang on little brother death could be you.

Keepin on and on,

Jeff

Jeff, thank God you have made it through your ordeal and "wrestled the devil to defeat." Your linkage of addiction to Karen's illness makes total sense to me. If only her outcome had also been different...

I don't want to be too forward or intrusive, but I have to say that I am in awe of you. I sense that you are a source of strength to others who have faced these same travails. It is wholly inspiring and most appreciated that you would share these details of your journey here with us. I wish you continued success with this recovery path as well as health and happiness.

In my on-going strides to turn negative responses into positivity this mention of Karen's documentary and my subsequent inspiration helps to be a useful tool in my grief combat. To reflect on and learn from a legacy, gleaning all that's meaningful is allowing me to move to a place of gratitude. Before, it was solely thank you dear heart for the voice. Saddened by the loss of the voice, the tragedy as later revealed, it's significance is coming full circle. Now, I have to say my thank you is on another level. More personal and substantial. So, my quest along the way has been to search and destroy inhibitors with the 'boots on the ground'. Enabling a freedom from bondage, torment and suffering. Now, I'm finding a gift identifying with Karen's story and the fortitude I'm fortunate enough to experience therein. So, my negative to positive. Not a grief to relief, but maybe a balm.

Once again James, you have proven to be a very kind, compassionate individual. But I caution, don't be in awe of me. Rather the process of regeneration employed and it's miraculous results are awesome. I must thank you for championing my health and well-being. I wish the same for you, yours and all.

I hope this hasn't detracted too much from posted topic. But, sometimes a boy does go on...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I adore you as a person and am so glad you are around! My reactions were similar watching Autopsy. Unfortunately it appears even though Karen was on the road to recovery she was still using ipecac and thyroid meds at the end. She never surrendered completely. So it appears. And that makes me sad, and is a wake up call. Thankfully, I too have been given another chance.

It's being rebroadcast in the US on ReelzChannel this Sunday, 14 August 2016, at 8pm ET/PT.
The channel is hosting a 13-hour "Autopsy: The Last Hours Of" marathon all day starting at 10am ET/PT.

Thanks, Glenn, for the heads-up. I was going to watch, but caught parts of two other episodes in the same series earlier in the day (Philip Seymour Hoffman and another). After seeing a lot of repetition (padding) and straining to draw conclusions, I decided to not stay up for the Karen episode. It was past my bedtime anyway (11 PM). :winkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom