• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Karen Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to watch this, but hope it is a truthful documentary instead of a sensationalised look at Karen's final days.

Put it this way, the guy who will be doing most of the talking is a leading forensic pathologist and has done a superb job in the episodes featuring the death of Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. In a strange way, I'm actually honoured that they've chosen Karen - despite the subject matter, it's all exposure for our favourite singer and as the saying goes, all publicity is good publicity :)

One thing I don't expect though is to hear any of their music - I don't recall any of Whitney's original music being featured in that episode, probably because it would push the royalty fees to produce the shows through the roof. I could be wrong though.

amsecure.jpg

A friendly reminder from your A&M Corner moderating team: Please refrain from posting any graphic images that might come up regarding the subject matter being discussed here. We would even prefer that graphic language be kept to a minimum on these sensitive topics of autopsies and death. Use Private Conversation threads with multiple participants to keep any of this stuff out of the public eye.

Thank you.

A friendly reminder from your A&M Corner moderating team: Please refrain from posting any graphic images that might come up regarding the subject matter being discussed here. We would even prefer that graphic language be kept to a minimum on these sensitive topics of autopsies and death. Use Private Conversation threads with multiple participants to keep any of this stuff out of the public eye.

Respect your admin direction Harry, thanks for the heads up :wave:
This has been a really great thread so far, lots of anticipation about a new KC :b-drums: (not a Carpenters) documentary. I hope it doesn't get locked through any unfortunate (even if well placed) comments. If we do find anything worthy of conversation that's not suitable for the forum please let me know and I'll host a private thread, because quite honestly I can't wait to see the debate over this documentary.

I'm registered with the ITV i-player but it's the same as the Channel 5 i-player. Not available outside the UK :thmbdn:. It'll be on youtube within a couple of days I'm sure.

Shame about that. It's quite ironic that the technology available to Karen would be more suitable in such a situation as us Brits could have taped the documentary on a VHS video recorder and then posted copies around the world

I watched the interview, which was done by Kate Garraway so I guess that Lorraine Kelly must be away or something, and it was good but there is no new information - not in that interview anyway.

It starts in 10 minutes :goodie:

DOCUMENTARY COMMENTARY:

Wow! Dennis Heath (who has aged terribly), John Adrian, Randy Schmidt and Brian Southall are interviewed. The Sue Lawley interview is also featured and they feature the outtakes from that clip where Richard kicks off with the interviewer. Carole Curb also features.

Very balanced so far :thumbsup:

any screen captures or quotes??
anything we haven't seen?

Frenda spoon-fed Karen at times, as did Frenda's mother! Even though Randy has just said that in an interview, I don't remember hearing / reading that before.

Also the medication prescribed for depression hadn't had as many tablets taken as should have by the time Karen died, so the effects would have been different and would have probably made her feel worse. I don't think I had realised that before either.

Well that was rather harrowing at times (though there was a warning before it started that it would contain disturbing scenes). I found it a bit sensationalist at the beginning but by the end I thought the documentary makers had done a good job. Certainly brought it home to you just what Karen was putting her body through. At times the actress looked very much like Karen (particularly the hospital scenes). The medication for depression was new to me. It featured Richard's addiction to sleeping pills and touched on the usual Agnes favouring Richard, how Karen was called "fatso" as a child and her reluctance to come up front from the drums and lack of confidence. No mention of her marriage, though one of the bottles of pills in the dramatised bits were prescribed to Karen Burris. Hard to watch at times. They hinted that Karen was still engaging in anorexic habits right to the to end. Very sad.

On a more positive note they showed that photograph of Karen looking fantastic in the red dress (which has been posted on a thread here somewhere).

Well that was rather harrowing at times (though there was a warning before it started that it would contain disturbing scenes). I found it a bit sensationalist at the beginning but by the end I thought the documentary makers had done a good job. Certainly brought it home to you just what Karen was putting her body through. At times the actress looked very much like Karen (particularly the hospital scenes). The medication for depression was new to me. It featured Richard's addiction to sleeping pills and touched on the usual Agnes favouring Richard, how Karen was called "fatso" as a child and her reluctance to come up front from the drums and lack of confidence. No mention of her marriage, though one of the bottles of pills in the dramatised bits were prescribed to Karen Burris. Hard to watch at times. They hinted that Karen was still engaging in anorexic habits right to the to end. Very sad.

I guess when a documentary maker knows that they only have about forty minutes to play with, something such as Karen's marriage may as well be left out as including it might end up taking the focus away from where it was needed.

It was good attention to detail to show the pills prescribed to 'Karen Burris' and I agree that 'Karen' (played by Lucy Drive and not some actress from an 80s TV show that I first thought she was) was pretty convincing.

It did make for some pretty difficult viewing, especially when Randy said that Frenda's mother used to cradle and rock Karen almost like a child. That's a rather sad image, although it's great that Frenda's mother could do that for Karen.

I hadn't realised that Karen had had an official diagnosis of depression. I wonder what doctor gave that?

Dr Richard Shepherd, the pathologist interviewed, did a good job in summing things up (from his point of view) and giving a medical explanation that was pretty easy to understand and seems plausible.

It was a well put together documentary, but showed Karen as being in a very dark place and in the grip of something that I don't think even she understood so there was little chance of anyone else being of any help. As well as not understanding it, I don't think Karen comprehended the danger that she was in....the poor love :sad:

This is the link Chris, but due to rights restrictions, Demand 5 is only available in the UK or where those overseas have a UK satellite box such as Sky. I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure it will be on youtube by tomorrow :laugh:

http://www.channel5.com/demand5

Yeah, it's not working I see the flash player and hit the play button but it's just a black screen and time does not start counting. I guess we can't see this. Did they actually show Randy being interviewed or was this audio only? I've never heard some of this stuff before about Frenda, how come he didn't put that in his book? Interesting.

Yeah, it's not working I see the flash player and hit the play button but it's just a black screen and time does not start counting. I guess we can't see this. Did they actually show Randy being interviewed or was this audio only? I've never heard some of this stuff before about Frenda, how come he didn't put that in his book? Interesting.

Randy appeared in the documentary several times.

Randy was interviewed on camera. Whether or not he was interviewed by the people that made this programme I'm not sure, but it seems likely that he was.

It is a shame you can't see it somehow, hopefully it will end up on you tube soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom