New Karen Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just let me say thank you to all the Brits gracious enough to post running commentary on this important documentary! Your virtually real-time posts have been descriptive and helpful. Cheers! And thank you again!

Long time, no see. Been VERY busy this summer. I too am nervous Jeff! :shock:
Thank you to all our friends across the pond who are keeping us most informed. :love: Hope this shows up on YouTube stat!

The facts about Frenda spoon-feeding Karen and Frenda's Mom cradling her are both mentioned in Randy's book. It's just so horrible that she ever got to such a tragic place. But she was so firmly in the grips of that insidious disease by that time. It's like watching someone deteriorate from substance abuse or severe alcoholism....same result.

I was listening to a radio show featuring Karen and Richard from 1981 on an old cassette tonight. She sounds so happy and together....little did we know.

The facts about Frenda spoon-feeding Karen and Frenda's Mom cradling her are both mentioned in Randy's book. It's just so horrible that she ever got to such a tragic place. But she was so firmly in the grips of that insidious disease by that time. It's like watching someone deteriorate from substance abuse or severe alcoholism....same result.

I was listening to a radio show featuring Karen and Richard from 1981 on an old cassette tonight. She sounds so happy and together....little did we know.

Ahh, so much in that book hard to remember all that was said. I guess I need to read it again but it just makes me so sad. This movie is likely to put me over the edge yet I would like to see it. I'm listening to the UK Gold Foil Singles 74-78 LP I just got and it's all so bittersweet. The music lifts me up....Karen voice is a security blanket.....knowing what happen to her and how it all ended "always get's me down"....

I thought it was pretty sensationalist, really, with 'see what happens next, after the break' mini cliff-hangers. Pretty typical of something ITV/C5 would make. Really brings home how lucky we are to have the BBC.

There was one glaring error - a clip from 1973 was described as 1970.

I
i wonder what Richard will think if he watches.
Well his hope that Karen be remembered as one of the greatest singers of all time and not the singer that died from anorexia probably won't be helped much by this documentary (though a number of interviewees expressed the view that she was one of the greatest singers). Their music didn't get much of a look in. In fact I only remember snippets of 3 songs being played during the programme: Please Mr Postman, We've Only Just Begun and Touch Me When We're Dancing.

A friendly reminder from your A&M Corner moderating team: Please refrain from posting any graphic images that might come up regarding the subject matter being discussed here. We would even prefer that graphic language be kept to a minimum on these sensitive topics of autopsies and death. Use Private Conversation threads with multiple participants to keep any of this stuff out of the public eye.

I've started a chat in private messaging about last night's documentary. I'm not sure who else would want to participate so please shout up if you'd like an invite. I've allowed anyone in the conversation to invite others to make it easier :)

I've started a chat in private messaging about last night's documentary. I'm not sure who else would want to participate so please shout up if you'd like an invite. I've allowed anyone in the conversation to invite others to make it easier :)

Invite me.

I did catch a few errors. The subtitle for Karen's last night at Bob's Big Boy stated 'September 3rd, 1983'. Big oops. Then, they never went into why the dinner with Dennis Heath was important, and what had happened prior to Karen getting up from the table. Weird.

But, overall, they did a decent job of detailing Karen's final, tragic days.

British news outlets are reporting very good ratings for this episode.
I, too, noted some inaccuracies in the program.
And, in the end, nothing particularly new has been revealed (at least, not to longtime admirers).

And, in the end, nothing particularly new has been revealed (at least, not to longtime admirers).

I'd bet you any money though that the general public would be absolutely shocked by the 'findings' presented in last night's episode. Even I found myself shaking my head in disbelief at one point as the pathologist spelled out the depths to which she'd plummeted in her battle against the disease.

That was really hard to watch, so sad. I wonder how long ago this was put together, was that a recent interview with Randy because he looked different than more recent. I think this covered a lot more in depth than any previous documentary. There were times the actress looked very much like Karen (drumsticks at hospital) then there were other times not so much. I noticed a photo at 22:38 and shows again at 43:46 that I had never seen before in color. Thanks for making this available for the US fans to see.

I noticed a photo at 22:38 and shows again at 43:46 that I had never seen before in color. Thanks for making this available for the US fans to see.

Great minds Chris! I hadn't seen this before either (taken around late 1981):

kc_zps359b4d65.jpg

I will add that, although I learned nothing new in this program (i.e., regarding the Anorexia Nervosa, etc.)
it would be rather a shock to learn of these behaviors, for the general viewer.
As,indeed, I was shocked , when first I heard (read) of these behaviors. (1983 ,1985, 1996,2010, etc.).
I would also add that certain issues have not been answered, or addressed.
(i.e., What doctor would prescribe thyroid med to an anorexic patient? Pharmacological half-life of emitine? Many others....)
But, then, this 'mystery' (why?) will never be resolved, as far as I can ascertain.
Karen Carpenter, still an enigma to me.
Karen Carpenter, irreplaceable.

funny, it's the day after I watch the special and it still haunts me. I was glad they took a more medical angle with the special, and not as much mental. We've all heard the sotories about what pressures contributed to her illness. Yet, this new program is much more medical and clinical.

I prefer to remember Karen happy, healthy, and doing what she loved. That being said, I have always thought that if her private fight with anorexia nervosa being exposed helps anyone, in any generation, to realize how very dangerous it is and seek help, it's worth a bit of sensationalism. I would imagine those close to her would feel that way, but it might be very difficult for some to participate in or even watch this type of program. If it were my family member or close friend I don't know that I could do it.

I

Well his hope that Karen be remembered as one of the greatest singers of all time and not the singer that died from anorexia probably won't be helped much by this documentary (though a number of interviewees expressed the view that she was one of the greatest singers). Their music didn't get much of a look in. In fact I only remember snippets of 3 songs being played during the programme: Please Mr Postman, We've Only Just Begun and Touch Me When We're Dancing.

I would imagine that copyright issues prevented too much music being played and, to be honest, when I'm watching something like that I want information rather than music.

They are so tight for time on a project like this, so giving time away to enjoy a few minutes more of a track or two would be a bit self-indulgent of the producer I think.

I agree with those that said it was a tough watch, but I think it's essential to watch stuff like this. As much as we want to remember a happy, smiley Karen it wouldn't be fair to her memory not to watch things that make us sad or uncomfortable - just because we'd rather not feel sad or uncomfortable.

For anyone still unable to watch it, the guy behind leadsister.com has been circulating the link to his Facebook page which, I think, has a link to last night's documentary on it:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/321040037161/10152595033392162/?notif_t=group_comment

I enjoyed the documentary, especially due to the portrayal of Anorexia. As a long time sufferer of an eating disorder, I get angry when Anorexia is described as simply wanting to be thin. As said in the doc, "it's a psychological disease with physical symptoms". It breaks my heart knowing Karen wasted away. What a lovely woman gone too soon.

I was impressed with the documentary. I found it to be neither sensationalistic nor simplistic. What a great loss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom