Official Carpenters Website Update;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Chris for any web updates. And now we can have flowers delivered to her crypt. That's fantastic...Kenny

Becky Boxberger was busy yesterday as I received a reply to a couple of questions submitted.

Q: Why no USA live concert video?

A: They were not taped for "video". The production quality is lacking and Richard prefers to put out the best possible releases.

Q: What's CarpenterS 10 year forecast regarding the music legacy?

A: Richard will continue to promote and keep up with current technology by remastering and reengineering the original music.

Q: Will CarpenterS entire catalog go SACD?

A: This is akin to the Beta vs. VHS developments.

Q: Will we see a Spectrum or C's TRIO release?

A: Not likely.

Insofar as my forecast question I was somewhat disappointed that I wasn't met with any new release info.

Back to wishin and hopin,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for your input.

I'm not so let down by what Richard said because I have heard them say This is the last time Carpenters would put out their album (at that time I was disappointed and braced myself for such a misfortune) but we've had newer releases including compilations and thanks to that, Richard found Tryin' To Get The Feelin' Again.

Each cd is destined to be out of print someday but if any of it keeps selling, the label is willing to put out more of it and another box set may come to see the light, where unreleaed material will come to life.
It may be time for England and Japan to experience the revival of Carpenters popularity again now.

Official website is slowly , slowly taking shape ....ideally there will be more info on Christmas albums & TV Specials for us all in November / December :wink:

Good to see some details of Karen's resting place with the family and how fans from outside California & USA can forward their own flowers / personal messages in their own way :D

At present Richard is concerntrating on his own music projects and personal interests ....after all the problems / issues with As Time Goes By ...not surprising that further Carpenters projects are not top of his agenda ...sure some material / tracks will emerge -perhaps with a few surprises rather than a standard CD project .....:cool:

Peter

Ed, I think what PJ is referring to is all the red tape that Richard had to go through to finally get this CD released. It took like forever, the date kept getting push back further & further then there was talk that the Ella Medley was not going to be on it, there was so many legal issues. I wonder still if Richard had problem with John Davidson duet since that did not happen. The same kinda red tape is with all the TV Specials & the rights & such, just something too big even for Richard to handle.

Chris- do you mean with "Old Fashioned Way"?
That is one of my all-time "when-will-it-be-released?"- favorites!!

Mark, I was referring to You're Just in Love duet. But that is only my assumption regarding red tape with releasing tracks with Karen & other people. But I always thought that was what the big hold up was on finally releasing ATGB.

Remember when there was discussion that we thought the Japan release would be different than the US for rights of using other performers vocals.

It seems to me RC could get rights to John Davidson performances for a dime. Ella obviously another story. John Denver's estate and such I dunno. Maybe networks are troublesome. It slips my mind at the moment but did K&R own their TV shows?

Jeff

Actually, at one point, AS TIME GOES BY was to be released in the US with three fewer tracks:

"Como Medley", "Nowhere Man", and "I Got Rhythm" were the three that were going to be missing, so it's possible that those three could have been causing the problem.

Or, there could yet be another explanation for why there was such a delay - the number of tracks.

In the US, song usage and rights fees are paid to the publishers on a per song basis - more songs, more fees. But in other countries it works differently. I know that in the UK, the fees are divided up by the number of songs on the album. That's why back in the '60s, UK Beatles albums routinely held 14 tracks while Capitol in the US held the number to 12 or 11 per album. This theory could also explain why INTERPRETATIONS was shortened for US release.

Since AS TIME GOES BY, as conceived by Richard, had 15 tracks - cutting out three of them in the US would have reduced it to 12, making the venture less expensive for Universal/A&M in the States.

The album was complicated to begin with, given all of the TV rights, other parties and their estates, etc. It's a miracle it was released to begin with.

Harry
...with some theories, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Ed, I think what PJ is referring to is all the red tape that Richard had to go through to finally get this CD released. It took like forever, the date kept getting push back further & further then there was talk that the Ella Medley was not going to be on it, there was so many legal issues. I wonder still if Richard had problem with John Davidson duet since that did not happen. The same kinda red tape is with all the TV Specials & the rights & such, just something too big even for Richard to handle.

As Chris stated above and with Harry's follow up ....there were a huge number of delays BEFORE As Time Goes By album was finally issued in Japan .... :sad:

Richard started considering & collating possible tracks in late 1998 , working on, re-recording , completing tracks & medleys through 1999 and final selections , mixes & mastering in 2000 ... :o

First possible release date was September 2000 -but due to original artwork / test presses being rejected as unacceptable by Richard ...release slipped into 2001 ....until ATGB was confirmed & issued 1st August 2001(Japan).... :)

Possible USA release was set for September 2001...but as Harry reminded us minus 3 key tracks.... Richard blocked this release , plus other planned UK / European issues until ATGB as delivered (15 tracks) was released by Universal / A&M , Richard expressed his frustation at 2002 CPAC event... :shock:

Not until 2003 ((UK) & April 2004 (USA) did Universal issue ATGB asa originally delivered and then to spite themselves -just dropped this album into music stores etc without any support or promotion..... :oops:

With all this hassle, contract disputes and delays , Richard is in no hurry to issue another Carpenters rarities set or studio album ....which is understandable if disappointing both from Carpenters music legacy & further Carpenters / A&M sales / profits for Universal. ....

Richard actually worked on 25 tracks plus (including medleys ) during 1999-2000 -including Thank You For The Music (Studio), Coming Thru' The Rye / Good Vibrations (K&R Live Palladium 1976-the best version) , You'll Never Know (Music , Music out-take) , plus other Studio, TV, Radio & Demo tracks....all these were mixed / mastered ....and could be issued ...however due to ATGB saga ....sadly will take far longer to be released .... :wink:

Peter

PJ said:
Not until 2003 ((UK) & April 2004 (USA) did Universal issue ATGB asa originally delivered and then to spite themselves -just dropped this album into music stores etc without any support or promotion..... :oops:

With all this hassle, contract disputes and delays , Richard is in no hurry to issue another Carpenters rarities set or studio album ....which is understandable if disappointing both from Carpenters music legacy & further Carpenters / A&M sales / profits for Universal. ....
Peter

Isn't that sad, seems Richard had so many problems & who suffers, Richard & the fans-us. Somewhere I remember that Richard gave a short response on the street from an interviewer who asked him about how the release of ATGB was going & he responded very flusterated almost like he was giving up on it all. I wish I can remember where I saw that.

So much rare stuff on that CD that it's one of my favorites, can't imagine now not having it.

I wonder how many copies a release like ATGB actually sells. In other words, would another similar compilation sell enough to make it worth the work? Or do they do better with yet another compilation of all the standard hits?

Not surprising that Universal didn't put much promotional effort behind ATGB. After all, who buys this kind of package? Die-hard fans mostly. And most of them probably already know about it due to the net and word-of-mouth, so it's doubtful a huge campaign would drive a lot more sales.

I would bet that if a new fan were coming onboard, Richard would prefer that person be introduced to the Carpenters sound through one of the regular albums or a standard hits compilation, rather than a package of rarities and/or items that were originally meant for the cutting room floor.

mstaft: Are you talking about the song "The Old Fashioned Way" by Helen Reddy (from "Long Hard Climb") back in 1973? Last year, Raven reissued that album on CD (including the 1972 "I Am Woman") (2 records on 1 CD) as an import. Was there a Carpenters version of that song?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

RC worked on 25 songs for ATGB? I may have been in the dark here, but all this time I had no idea that so many pieces had been mixed and mastered. Clammering for information regarding this subject has been an uphill battle. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that this revelation has just now come to my attn. These recordings were potential Essential Collection rarities. This would've been the perfect opportunity to introduce us. Here we have solo material not mixed and mastered, or do we? I find myself weary wondering just what in the hoo-hay is the specific motivation behind harboring these important works for over 20 years?

Behind the canvas or in front of it?

Jeff

Matt,
Yes, that same song. It was a duet with John Davidson. Karen hits her lower register several times to good effect. The lyrics and arrangement are in synch thematically as well. It is from the Space Encounters special. Hope this helps.

Jeff, I think that maybe the unreleased solo sessions have been mixed since 1996. On the bootleg CD of Karen Carpenter Unreleased Last One Singin the Blues sounds like it has been mixed. It's different than the one that appeared on Karen Carpenter.

Not surprising that Universal didn't put much promotional effort behind ATGB. After all, who buys this kind of package? Die-hard fans mostly. And most of them probably already know about it due to the net and word-of-mouth, so it's doubtful a huge campaign would drive a lot more sales.

Well that is really the role / task of music companies -one of their problems is sticking to the tried (tired?) & tested ....and not backing non-compilations from recent or legacy artists / acts :o

There is no point in Universal looking at ATGB sales figures and claiming ....this album sold 50% or 75% less overall than last major hits / singles compilation ...if Universal barely supported or promoted ATGB :wink:

Die -hard fans of any artist will purchase nearly every release ....however the key to a successful & on-going album release / sales is to promote to that wider music audience ...for instance had A&M UK actively promoted ATGB ....platinum sales were assured from loyal Carpenters music lovers ....however you need to promote this set and place multiple copies in all music stores , shopping mall shops , supermarkets etc ....make this set widely available& fans aware of its availability....given the success of so many UK albums with Standards songs ...Rod Stewart , Robbie Williams etc ...potentially a million seller could be achieved from UK sales alone :cool:

Re : USA -Universal needed to involve Richard actively with TV / Radio / Cable shows & promotion and link ATGB with Carpenters audience to series of highly successful Carpenters TV Specials & TV Shows ...and so on with other markets / countries ....of course this relies on commitment ....something lacking from Universal re : new Carpenters albums :o

The potential is there to promote new & great Carpenters tracks ....having invested time & effort from Richard plus $ costs for Universal to complete ATGB ....it is self -defeating not to actively support such releases ....the audiences are out there ....but music giants like Universal are too lazy , too rooted in set policies and lack imagination to actually achieve anything with ATGB type albums -both for Carpenters and several other label artists .... :sad:

Does beg the question ....whether Richard will in next few years gain the Master Tapes / Carpenters Catalog rights ....then he could offer a few compilations to Universal ( or successors)... :!: and new / rare Carpenters material to another more interested / committed company :cool: ....perhaps future internet downloads will change these issues forever ..... :wink:

Peter

djn said:
Q: Will CarpenterS entire catalog go SACD?

A: This is akin to the Beta vs. VHS developments.

Clueless non-answer. :shake:

Dance in The Old ....may have been one of the 25 plus tracks completed by 2000 ...sure Richard considered this great TV Special song ....understand there is a Karen / Richard vocals version in the archive ..... :confused:

Actually one of the reasons -Richard completed Karen / Richard versions of Without... & You're Just....is that John Davidson sought large advances / payments to allow the original TV Specials versions to be included .... :!: Always surprising just how much money some performers want for their limited contribution .....this was one of the reasons that delayed the intended Box Set release (1991) of Karen / Ella medley .... :o

Whereas Perry Como was very generous / helpful in agreeing to release Carpenters / Como medley in 1999 -when approached by Richard ....:cool:

Peter

I would think John Davidson would be glad for the exposure.

I did not know there was a Karen and Richard version of "Dance". But that only makes sense.

Does this mean there is also a Karen and Richard studio version of "Good Vibrations"? Just the harmonies in this song give me the goosebumps...

A side note, I would sure like to hear "I Dont Need You" and "Some Guys Have All the Luck". Maybe one day...

But, I'll be honest, I'd be pretty happy with any new release with previously unreleased material!

Mark

Oops- How about a compilation of all the "standards" on one disc?
Might be some interest with all the success of Rod Stewart's albums of late.

Could include everything from "I Can Dream Can't I?" to the Ella/Karen medley to maybe even "Masquerade" and ending with "Sometimes" (which would fit in mood-wise quite well).

And a great cover photo from Musicx3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom