One&Done @ A&M: Sea Train / (self-titled) -- SP4171

JOv2

• Comments, questions, conjectures and stories are welcomed.
  • Released in 1968
sea-1.jpg

sea-2.jpg

Notwithstanding that the group issued back-to-back self-titled LPs (getting a jump on Peter Gabriel) and that the CD release sported a different cover, I do believe the following is the correct music from the subject LP.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
According to Wiki, for what that's worth, their first album was called SEA TRAIN, and the second SEATRAIN.

AM Matt

The 2nd self - titled album is on Capitol Records which has the song "13 Questions" in early 1971. Their 3rd for Capitol was "Marblehead Messenger" in late 1971.

LPJim

Staff member
There was a non-LP single, A&M 1106, "Caroline, Caroline" with "Suite for Almond."

JB

JOv2

I listened to the LP for the first time and like it. The first selection comes on a bit strong but then the LP settles into some good melodies and thoughtful ensemble arrangements. The ensemble interplay is not unlike a toned down, accoustic Mothers. The 3/4 instrumental number featuring flute calls to mind Tull which, in 1968, was just beginning to pick up steam. I didn't spend too much time with lyric content (oh yeah, the wordzzz...), but a few snippets seemed a idiosyncratic, which was part of the '68 progressive break, I suppose. The Edsel CD does not include the non-LP single. A used CD it's quite pricy, which suggests there's a cult following to some degree.

They are definitely a very good band and I'm sure Herb must have appreciated the solid musicianship. Don't know what the circumstances were with their time at A&M; but that Capitol would release their second LP with the same title was peculiar to say the least. This must have drove the record shops mad (along with the one-stops) when it came to ordering "the Sea Train LP" that a couple customers asked about...

LPJim

Staff member
A&M single # 994 has two album titles, "Let the Dutchess No" and "As I Lay Losing." The first song is the LP version but the second is instrumental while the album version has vocals.

JB

Top Bottom