1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Other Female Singers

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by song4u, Sep 11, 2012.

1. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I watch this thread a lot but I don't often post. Here's one I thought some of you might like to hear.

This song was a minor hit in the UK and I remember her performing this on Top Of The Pops and singing live when very few people did on that show. This song stuck with me for years and to this day, as young as I was, I still remember being so taken by her vocal technique, phrasing and timbre and couldn't understand why it wasn't a number one smash hit.

Fast forward all these years later and out of curiosity, I looked her up on youtube (and Instagram) and was blown away to discover not only that she's still going strong, but that she can still sing this song in the same key all these years later - with just piano accompaniment.

Top Of The Pops Live Vocal 1992

Memphis Music Festival 2015

Come In Out of the Rain - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Graeme likes this.
  2. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

Now this is a blast from the past. I remember it well.

3. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

Someone forgot about pop singer Janey Clewer. It also mentions the late Karen Carpenter. There are 9 CD's from the CD Baby website of her music at: Search | CD Baby Music Store Janey is big in Japan. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

4. AM Matt

Here is Janey Clewer (duet with Eric Carmen) "Only Time Will Tell" (from 1997): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Jamesj75 likes this.
  5. Brian

Brian Active Member

I've got a feeling that it's already been discussed here but I always thought that Renee Armand showed a slight resemblance to Karen in her vocal style on 1972's 'Raining in L.A.'

Renee Armand was a label mate of the Carpenters.

I have her 'Rain Book' CD. The other tracks on the album are mainly quite different from 'Raining In LA'.

Renee Armand also recorded an appealing version of 'The Morning After', from 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

I'm sure that this has all been mentioned here before but, just in case, here's 'Raining In L.A.'

Harry likes this.
  6. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR Active Member

U.K
    listening to BBC radio 2 last weekend, they played a song that I really enjoyed listening to, so looked up the singer on YouTube, who I hadn't heard before and now, I can`t listen to her enough :)
    HAILEY TUCK from Texas, but now lives in Paris.
    Aged just 23, she is inspired by the 1920`s, which is evident in her videos, but also a silent film actress from the era, LOUISE BROOKS.
    I`ve got nearly all her videos saved and just wondered what you guys thought. these are 3 of my favorites;

7. A favorite around here - and Renee Armand herself once checked into these parts. She's member @gracefarm in this old thread:

The Rain Book

Brian likes this.
  8. AM Matt

Brand new singer, 27 year old Alice Merton ("No Roots") might win the Grammy for Best New Artist come February 2019. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

9. AM Matt

I would like to see if Real Gone Music can reissue Renee Armand "The Rain Book" on CD!!! C'mon people, send a request in!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Brian likes this.
  10. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

First time I'd seen this on YT. Bonnie Bramlett performing Groupie (Superstar) with the great Leon Russell in the audience.

Brian likes this.
  11. Renee Armand, in addition to the album THE RAIN BOOK, also did a few other singles and one-off songs. She sings "Lost" on the BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN soundtrack, so she has at least that connection to Carpenters.

In 1973, she had written a song called "I Can't See You Anymore" which was featured in a television movie starring Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner called THE AFFAIR. In the film, Natalie actually sings this song in her own voice. Meanwhile, at A&M, Renee Armand recorded it for a single, and it was produced by the fellow who had the video about how he would have produced Karen Carpenter's solo album, John Florez.

From the 45 in my collection, here is that record. It's one of those start-quiet and gets-louder tracks, so here it is without any compression whatsoever - full dynamic range. Only a few clicks were removed.

Brian likes this.
  12. Now I'd like you to compare that sound with the same record also put up on YouTube by none other than the producer John Florez.

Brian likes this.
  13. Mr. Florez later posted this "improved" version.

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

On the 'Lowest Note Hit by Karen' thread, Karen was shown on a 'Top 15 Mezzo-Sopranos' list, along with Donna Summer. Here's a song that demonstrates Donna Summer's breathier side, (semi-operatic is the wrong description, but her vocals seem to show classical potential). I think her voice on recordings like this, where she doesn't let loose with her booming 'disco' voice, are very pleasant to the ear. Listen to the double-tracked vocal in the middle of the song, (at 3:14), and pay attention to the higher layer. She could sing fairly high - although she sings higher on a couple of other recordings. I like this side to Donna Summer's voice. By the way, whoever put the lyrics on this video made a couple of mistakes. For instance, "...ebb turns to flow", not "...ebb tends to flow". :)

15. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

At first I thought that was Kevin Arnold’s mother from The Wonder Years :laugh:. Leon Russell looked thoroughly unmoved by the performance :sigh:

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

I think that after Karen performed 'Superstar' on the 1971 BBC live show in the UK, nobody should have ever bothered performing the song ever again.

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

(Meaning that the performance couldn't be beaten).

18. song4u

song4u Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If I may recommend a male singer, I think Spencer Day is wonderful. He has great timing with a lyric and very good pitch.

19. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I agree, a stunning performance. That show is what made me a fan.

Brian likes this.
  20. One singer who I've started to listen to recently is Lana Del Rey. Her voice is reminiscent of Karen's (although not as good, of course) her voice is very emotional and her song "Groupie Love" has been compared to "Superstar"
    Other songs you should check out by her are "Video Games", "Young And Beautiful", "Born To Die" and "You Must Love Me" from Evita.

Does anyone else hear a little bit of Karen in her???

21. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

It sounds closer to the version Luther Vandros recorded.