• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Other Female Singers

With the discussion on the ‘Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions’ thread, I searched ‘Jazz / Funk / Pop 1979’, and a track that I really like that scraped the lower regions of the Billboard Top 40 that year came up: ‘Street Life’, by The Crusaders and Randy Crawford.

You can see some (very slight) similarities between this track and some of the up-tempo songs on Karen Carpenter’s solo album. The Crusaders’ song, above, is maybe a bit ‘harder’ and raw, whereas Karen’s album is very produced, (which it has to be, with all those background vocals).

This is a 1981 re-recording from a Randy Crawford solo album, rather than the hit 1979 version.

It aired last night over here on BBC. It's really good! Lots of unseen footage :)

I saw the special last night. It would be nice to have some of the songs from their live performances released that were never included on studio albums along with the different lyric to some of their well known songs.

I have no idea who this is, but she is sort of a singer, and Karen would absolutely love watching her work on that drum set...love those twirls.

Lately I have been recordings some of my albums on to CDs and then converting them to MP3s. Today's album was Anytime Anywhere by Rita Coolidge. Rita has a really nice voice and I really like this album. I should have transferred this a long time ago. It is that good. I was a little surprised when I pulled the album out of its sleeve though. I was surprised because the label on side 1 is completely blank. It is just a white label with no printing on it at all. Nothing. Nada. Side 2 has the usual A&M label with all the songs listed. I think this must be the only record in my collection that has a blank label on it. Anyone else have this experience?

Another discovery for me today, after years of waiting, is that Yvonne Elliman's later back catalogue has started to be added to Spotify in the UK. I absolutely adore her voice.

IMG_6939.jpeg

I just stumbled upon this song from the singer Mitski, and couldn’t help but notice that she sounds somewhat like Karen…

I actually like this song. Reminds me of a ‘60s country standard.

"My Love Mine All Mine" is a terrific song! It's been one of my most listened to since it came out!

It really has a Carpenters feel to it, somewhat similar to "The Uninvited Guest" with its country vibes. I felt very strongly that it would be a perfect song for Karen & Richard the second I heard it. It would fit perfectly on Lovelines.

Another discovery for me today, after years of waiting, is that Yvonne Elliman's later back catalogue has started to be added to Spotify in the UK. I absolutely adore her voice.

IMG_6939.jpeg
“If I Can’t Have You”
Love that song, brings back memories it was played all the time on the radio. I use to sing along to this all the time when it was on the radio. No wonder I like Karen’s solo disco songs so much. Yvonne was laying the ground work.

Yvonne Elliman sang in a Busch beer radio commercial "It's that time of day when you can say come on & head for the mountains, you know the best...is coming your way" in early 1980. Heard the commercial on "The Great American Radio Show" (with the late host Mike Harrison) during the Top 20 Mainstream Rock countdown.

Back
Top Bottom