🎵 12" SotW Prince: "Let's Work" b/w "Gotta Stop (Messin' About)" (Warner Bros. DWBS 50028, released 1982)

Prince:
"Let's Work" b/w "Gotta Stop (Messin' About)"

Warner Bros. Records DWBS 50028
Released 1982
Speed: 33â…“ RPM

A1: Let's Work (Dance Remix, Long Version) [8:02]
B1: Gotta Stop (Messin' About) [2:55]

1692558605327.png

For most Prince fans, buying a 12-inch single was more about getting the non-album track on the B-side than it was an extended or remixed A-side. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first 12-inch single that followed this formula. Released around the time of the Controvery album, "Let's Work" gets extended a few minutes beyond the album version with an added section beyond where the album version ends, like an extended jam, and a few parts of the main tracks are looped to extend the intro. Our local radio did work "Let's Work" quite a bit, but aired "Gotta Stop (Messin' About)" so much that many, like me, thought it was another single.

When I found this single, it was already a year or so past being on the radio and I ended up buying the last new copy I would ever see. Where the A-side was more in a rock-with-synths style, the B-side took a bit of a shot at New Wave. It's short, and makes its point rather quickly. Copies of this are not too hard to find on vinyl, and the B-side appeared on the third disc of the 3-CD compilation The Hits / The B-Sides (and may be on later compilations--I have not checked).

Back
Top Bottom