Songs by the Carpenters (not solo songs)

cam89

If you had to choose 5 songs sung by the Carpenters, and ONLY 5...which ones would make the cut, and please explain....(they also cannot be Christmas songs, that will be asked as Christmas draws nearer)...

If you had to choose 5 songs sung by the Carpenters, and ONLY 5...which ones would make the cut, and please explain....(they also cannot be Christmas songs, that will be asked as Christmas draws nearer)...

I would choose....

1)Someday....I always feel it is a beautiful recording, and she had that melancholy edge in her voice that showcased itself in her recordings, and especially on this one.

2) I Can't Make Music....just a gorgeous reading....very understated...

3) Those Good Old Dreams....classic Carpenters...I especially love the sound of her deep vocals in this catchy tune.

4) Boat To Sail....I just love this fresh song...very stylish, and kind of something way different than what they had ever done before....her phrasing is GORGEOUS!

5) Solitaire...said it before, and Ill say it again...her crowning achievement....she just soars effortlessly thru this song....and the deep notes at the end enthrall me....

For me, I'd pick these 5.

1. Goodbye to Love. My all-time favorite Carpenters song, one that is gripping from start to finish, with a melancholy vocal from Karen and the fuzz guitar solo. A haunting juxtaposition that I never tire of, no matter how many times I've heard it.

2. Only Yesterday. A song that still sounds fresh, includes the best of Karen's lower and higher register, and the creative vocal arrangement and harmonies that made them successful. Also, a song that captures the best of the Carpenters' happy/peppy music, but still against the backdrop of the melancholy of 'yesterday.'

3. Rainy Days and Mondays. A riveting arrangement serves up Karen's mournful voice. I like the post 1991 remixes, where the strings behind the sax solo are eliminated, leaving a rawer sound.

4. Our Day Will Come. The 1997 remix (without the DJ interrupting) is my favorite. I love how versatile Karen is in lending her voice to this fun, jazzy song. Her voice is at its peak during 1973-75, in my opinion.

5. Let Me Be The One. The 1991 remix with outtake is my pick here. The bridge is heart-melting, with Karen in her warm, lower register, against the coldness of the piano and starkness of the arrangement. ("A loving touch" - and then the drop in the bass). It is one of the most understated and beautiful moments in all of their music.

All You Get From Love Is A Love Song - Favorite song and probably the Carpenters best.

Prime Time Love - Karen really sounds great on this track.

Crystal Lullaby - Karen and Richard really sound nice on this almost-duet.

The Uninvited Guest - Karen sounds really delicate here, plus this song, even though it's great for Halloween, it is still a great song to listen to anytime throughout the year.

My Body Keeps Changing My Mind (1990 Carpenters mix) - Really great dance mix, and really out of there for the Carpenters.

1. Close To You: perfect arrangement from vocals to instruments: prefer Close To You album version with harpsichord sounding keyboard and extended druming plus overdubbed wasss. A signature song that has showcases the balance of Karen and Richard used in a lot of songs moving forward.
2. I Won't Last A Day Without You: one of my favorites with a perfect bridge that steps back into a perfect song for the early 70's.
3. Solitaire: Karen's voice is showcased at its best picture painting at every brushstroke with her silky interpretive phrasing. The single version edit creates chills upon every listen.
4. Yesterday Once More: the Carpenters original at its best with a great balance of words, music and performance. The single version is my favorite. A great vehicle for Karen with perfect brother sister overdubs at each specified moment in the arrangement weaving in and out of the song with perfect layering interweaving.
5. A Song For You: this is the best arrangement that has standed the test of time for it is the only version that is smooth and melodic because Karen approaches the difficult phrasing as a ice skater on an ice rink making it appear easy inside Richards perfect arrangement of the song. I like both the album version and the remake on the Gold CD.
If I could choose a sixth, it would be Hurting Each Other, not just for its message but for a remake sounding as an original. (It is also my favorite video). Not only is st a great arrangement but you can hear and see the enjoyment of the song as they perform it at the pinnacle of their career before the excessive touring took its toll.
In each of these songs, since it is Karen who is singing, she trancends into another world but brings us back to a safe place by the songs finish. A gift she performs effortlessly that sets her apart from the competition.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom