The hit collection that might have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

After reading the liner notes for Carpenters Gold 35th Anniversary Edition, I was surprised to learn that "I Just Fall in Love Again" had been considered for single release; I think it would've done well had it been selected (Anne Murray's later success with the tune offers evidence to that effect). But that got me to thinking about all the other songs that might've and perhaps should've been hits too. For example, "Help" was supposed to be the Carpenters' second single until "Close to You" came along. And "Let Me Be the One" was considered for release but "Superstar" won out instead. And "Desperado" was in the running at one time as well.

I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. And since the Carpenters were known for recording quality songs, their list of hits could've been a bit different than what it came to be. With that in mind, here's my short list of songs that under different circumstances might've been hits too:

1. "All of My Life"
2. "Help"
3. "Let Me Be the One"
4. "This Masquerade"
5. "One Fine Day"
6. "Desperado"
7. "Sandy" (or, perhaps, "You")
8. "Trying to Get the Feeling"
9. "Two Sides"
10. "I Just Fall in Love Again"
11. "Ordinary Fool"
12. "A Song for You"
13. "Happy" (was this released in the UK?)

I realize this is an exercise in imagination, but I'm curious what the rest of you think. Are there others you would add? Any you think wouldn't make the cut?

Tony

"Help!" was seriously once considered for the Carpenters' second single? Probably better that it wasn't, 'cause I don't think it would have fared that well chart-wise ("Ticket to Ride" missed the Top 40, after all, as well ...). But I've never really cared for for the Carpenters' Beatles remakes, though; I much prefer the Beatles originals. (Personally, I think the Carpenters cover versions that work the best are the ones that weren't already widely known before, which is why I guess their version of "Desperado" and the oldies medley on "Now and Then" have never really done anything for me, either.)

Some really good choices on your list! "Let Me Be the One," I agree, should definitely have been a single (probably would have kept their Top-Ten-hits-streak at the time going). "I Just Fall in Love Again" would have been a good single and probably would have fared pretty well. "This Masquerade" could have made a fine single (not too sure how it would have fared Top 40-wise, though; George Benson obviously had a huge hit with it, but his version's a bit more commercial-sounding). And "Happy," I think, easily could have been the third Top Ten hit from "Horizon." Next to "Only Yesterday" (which "Happy" was the B-side for), it's my favorite song on the album. Makes for a really killer 45, those two songs back-to-back!

Of all the Carpenters album tracks, the ones I most wish had been singles are definitely "Happy" and "I Kept on Loving You" (although the fact that there sadly never was a Richard-sung A-side probably would make it a very unlikely consideration.)

I have the Honolulu City Lights Single w/ B-Side being I Just Fall In Love Again.
Too bad I don't have the cover.

Here are my shoulda been a single picks:

From Close to You- I have always thought "Baby It's You" would have been a smash. Killer sax solo.

Tan album- "Let Me Be the One". Nice follow up to the torchy "Superstar".

Now and Then- "Masquerade"

Horizon- "Desperado" overlooked obvious choice.

Made in America- "Strength of a Woman", reminds me of "Woman in Love" by Barbra Streisand, but with Karen's warmth vs Barbra's cool.

Voice of the Heart- "Ordinary Fool" MBIYFT was too bland with its MOR choir. "Fool" would have made folks think twice regarding what Karem could do!

Lovelines- "Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night"- elegant and intimate.

Mark

HAPPY was played on German radio again and again in the Seventies. I think it was released as a single in Europe. Simple lyrics, bur very catchy melody. I always wondered, why it wasn't released as a single in the US, and I keep wondering, why it isn't included in any compilations except the British SINGLES 1974-1978 and the Japanese TREASURES.

I think, REASON TO BELIEVE should have been released as a single, too.

Bruno
enjoying some days of vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom