The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases)

Woke up with a note from CDJapan that release has been bumped to 03/26/2014. Seems like it will coincide with the 45th anniversary. Works for me! I'm well used to this waitin wishin thing. Much cheaper than new collection re-issue. What's left for the 50th festivities? Maybe the diamond edition. Who knows what our fan friends across the Pacific will do next.

Just stopped by CdJapan and they're saying there are only 19 copies of this limited edition available for pre-order. ON your marks, get set and go!

Today a message from Amazon Japan stating the Singles 69-73 platinum SACD has been pushed back to 03/26/2014 as well. Two different outlets one release date for both platinum shmcd and SACD.

It looks like we may be waiting a little longer, CD Japan has pushed the date back to April 23, 2014
This is going to be one anticipated release, huh?

My Amazon acct still says March 26, 2014 for SACD...who knows. Jeez thank goodness I'm a patient guy haha

Jeff

Last edited:
I got the email today from CD Japan with the revised April date. They've always been accurate in the past, so I have no reason to doubt the new date.

Yeah, I got that too, but this is starting to smell a bit like Carpenters EVERGREEN. For those that weren't paying attention around the turn of the last century, EVERGREEN was the supposed title of the next Carpenters release around the years 1999-2000. The Internet was still in its infancy and information was not always quite accurate. But the sources we had back then all listed this upcoming Carpenters compilation with a date that kept creeping into the future. The title EVERGREEN remained on various database lists for years (it's finally been put to rest unless you really dig hard). When an album finally did surface, it was called BY REQUEST - we never got anything called EVERGREEN.

Harry

I sorta remember that Harry....I wonder how they got that name Evergreen, could there be a long lost title song from Richard and Karen called Evergreen and we don't know about it? :D

Well...I'm patient too, my order stays put for the SHM and the regular and if it gets pushed back again I'll gladly wait...heck I really want this thing!! I don't think they will change the title on this one. :laugh:

Dying to get both. I guess I need to go ahead and place my order.

However, at the same time, why doesn't Richard release this album as a high-resolution digital download on something like HDtracks.com? It would be so much easier...for all parties involved than to have to worry about understanding a Japanese website and then trying to figure out why release dates are pushed back so often. Of course, the same things happen with Streisand releases...

Update: Amazon contact stating SACD Singles '69-'73 release bumped to April 23, 2014. What the hell, I love anticipating a "new" release.

Jeff

I went ahead and placed an order through CDJapan as I've placed orders with them before and had great luck. Funny thing though. This time my credit card was declined the first go around due to suspected fraudulent activity. *rolls eyes*

I hope everything processes and ships...when it's actually released...if it's actually released.

Raz42289...my bank actually has that fraud protection feature as well against any foreign accounts looking for payment. A quick confirmation and my order went through for the 4/23 release. I ordered the platinum but not the sacd, but don't think I'm not looking into a sacd player just for this and the other CarpenterS sacd release. I'm really trying to justify it :confused:

I just recently purchased the first SACD off of eBay for a pretty penny. Oh so worth it though. Aaaaah! I am lucky in that our Sony Dolby Digital home theatre system supports the SACD technology.

The new SACD has the same songs on it as the first (just less). Are they different in some way? Wondering if I need the new or not???

Advice appreciated.

Amy :)

When an album finally did surface, it was called BY REQUEST - we never got anything called EVERGREEN

Funny thing, By Request was actually one of my favorite comps for a long time! The packaging, mix/remix selection...the whole kit and caboodle!

I have, so far , missed out on obtaining the By Request compilation.
I have thought about purchasing it, but never took the plunge.
Had forgotten about it, actually,until today!
Thanks, all!

BY REQUEST was an interesting compilation. It comes with a typically "fat" booklet that has all of the typical credits, Japanese notes from Yoku, lyrics to all of the songs in English and then Japanese, and then a dozen or more pages of actual requests that the compilers received from everyday folk. Naturally, most of these are in Japanese, but there are a few English ones as well. One of the requests came from a fellow poster over at Ran's old board, Bennett Turk. I don't think he ever joined this forum, but I still get a smile seeing his name inside the BY REQUEST booklet.

The requesters and compilers managed to do a good job of coming up with a very listenable compilation, and I see that it was reissued in 2009 with a different booklet pictured on Amazon. I'm guessing that it's the reissue that's available rather readily.

Harry

I love the album cover for By Request, such a great pic!!!
There are quite a few contributors (in English) that got featured with their story of the song they chose for this CD and their name listed. Can you imagine submitting your request and it making it to print and featured on the track list? That's awesome.

The new SACD has the same songs on it as the first (just less). Are they different in some way? Wondering if I need the new or not???

Advice appreciated.

Amy :)

I was wondering the same thing, Amy. All the songs on the new release were included on the first SACD, but I was wondering if perhaps we'd the get the special introduction that was on the original album at the beginning of 'We've Only Just Begun'. Going by what Richard said in his last interview with Chris May, any other chance to do new surround mixes are no longer possible because he said all those original multi track were burned in the fires. So will these tracks on the new release be any different from the mixes on the first SACD?

I was wondering the same thing, Amy. All the songs on the new release were included on the first SACD, but I was wondering if perhaps we'd the get the special introduction that was on the original album at the beginning of 'We've Only Just Begun'. Going by what Richard said in his last interview with Chris May, any other chance to do new surround mixes are no longer possible because he said all those original multi track were burned in the fires. So will these tracks on the new release be any different from the mixes on the first SACD?

Is this, Chris, my okra and tomatoes-eating brother from another mother? :uhhuh::goodie::love:

If you find out, let me know. I just dropped $121 on my copy of the first SACD, so if this one is the same in nature I'll pass on the new one.

Is this, Chris, my okra and tomatoes-eating brother from another mother? :uhhuh::goodie::love:

If you find out, let me know. I just dropped $121 on my copy of the first SACD, so if this one is the same in nature I'll pass on the new one.

:laugh: Yes, it sure is, Sis!

It's understandable that you wouldn't want to purchase the other if the tracks are exactly the same. I feel that way as well. I hope there is something different or special about them, but we'll probably have to wait until the CD is released to know.

BY REQUEST was an interesting compilation. It comes with a typically "fat" booklet that has all of the typical credits, Japanese notes from Yoku, lyrics to all of the songs in English and then Japanese, and then a dozen or more pages of actual requests that the compilers received from everyday folk. Naturally, most of these are in Japanese, but there are a few English ones as well. One of the requests came from a fellow poster over at Ran's old board, Bennett Turk. I don't think he ever joined this forum, but I still get a smile seeing his name inside the BY REQUEST booklet.

The requesters and compilers managed to do a good job of coming up with a very listenable compilation, and I see that it was reissued in 2009 with a different booklet pictured on Amazon. I'm guessing that it's the reissue that's available rather readily.

Hi. I have been reading the Forum for years but have never posted until now. I was lucky enough to be one of the contributors (so to speak) -who suggested a song for Evergreen - which later became By Request. As a long time fan, I wanted YOU to be added to this new release because I always thought it deserved more attention. YOU is a straight-forward, simple but very memorable song and then of course there is Karen's vocal. I have always thought it should have been released as a single. When I emailed my song suggestion - I was hoping that Richard would re-record the piano - as he had done with other songs, ie: One Love. Anyway, that never happened but the CD was released and I was delighted to see YOU listed on the playlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so awesome!!! Thanks for taking the time to join the forum to tell us about submitting your choice. I just pulled out the insert and read your notes, great job!! So did you finally get the sheet music and play it? It's too bad Richard didn't re-record the piano then we would have the original and another re-mix.

It would be really cool if someone read Japanese and could interpret all the other notes from the fans.

It's so nice to hear that you requested "You"! I've wished for a remix for it as well. Seems like the perfect choice for a remix and re-recorded piano. Such a gorgeous song and yes, it should have been a single. So many people absolutely love it.

I sure hope this release stays on course this time, the advertisement makes reference "2013 remaster supervised by Richard Carpenter" and here we are already into 2014. This was suppose to be released Dec 18, 2013 then Jan 2014, then March 2014 it keeps getting pushed back but why? I wonder when Richard supervised this project, summer 2013? I would think his part is done on the project so is it the label holding it up?

...with another month to go....

Back
Top Bottom