• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Top of the World-Which Version?

Top of the World-Favorite Version?

• Original 1972 Version

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Remixed Version (new lead)

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Which version do you like better?

Top of the World literally sweep the nation back then & to Richard & Karen's suprise & there record team, it was one of there biggest hits. Even though Karen & Richard thought it was just gonna be a nice album cut. Richard says that once they started singing this track at concerts, the response was overwelming, he says the fan mail didn't stop coming in & it became Gold in Japan. It charted based on fan requests alone. (That's amazing to me cause it wasn't even a single, right?)

Then later they re-mixed it & re-cut new vocal lead w/ diff steel guitar.

It amazes me that for a song to get that much response why did they feel the need to re-do it? In any case I'm glad they did. The re-mix is nice & polished.

However I like the original 1972 version better, the way Karen pronounces some of her words & her expressions just seem more intimate to me. I can almost hear her smiling when I listen.

Is the 1972 version the album version you're referring to? If so, that's the one. I never listened to radio or singles back then, so I grew up with the album version. :)

I picked the original album version too, mostly because I think it's a better recording. Whenever I listen to the remixed single version, I can hear the edit points where Karen's lead is spliced in from another take. On the original album version, I don't notice it at all.

Harry
...sticking to the originals, online...

Since we are on the subject, not to be negative, but how many of you CAN NOT STAND the "Top Of The World" remix from 1991?? I'm not trying to be dramatic here, but to this day can't figure out why Richard remixed it the way he did! The kick drum sounds like it's out on it's own island somewhere away from the rest of the song. It's also out of time in some spots, which is not uncommon for a track, however the mix is extremely crucial and this certainly isn't it. I am very disappointed with the way that came out and wish he would have left well enough alone... -Chris

I don't quite know how to vote. I prefer the original vocal, but I MUCH prefer the new intro music of the single version. One thing I am sure of though, is that the 1991 remix is dreadful, absolutely DREADFUL!

EDIT: I really should stop being so indecisive... so I voted for the single version. That new intro made the difference...

Murray

I am going to disagree with all of you. I prefer the 1991 remix of the 1973 version. It could be because I am younger. But I do prefer the album version to the original 1973 version.

Hope you could understand all of that. :D

I voted for the remix because I thought you meant the remix in the 70's. They released a single version separate from the album version. Which C.D. has the 1991 recording? :oops:

I was wondering that too. Is the 1991 remix of the single version on the The Singles 1969-1973 CD (either the REMASTERED CLASSICS one or the pre-RC disc)? I like that CD version more than the original album track mainly because I'm most familiar with it. Karen's lead in the album track sounds much countrier:), which I wasn't used to. Although her reading, like Chris says, seems more intimate in that version.

Or is that remix on the pre-RC A Song For You CD?

...not as informed a voter as I'd like to be, online

I guess I could have broken up the remixed versions & what year but I kinda just wanted to get an idea regarding Karen's vocal lead whether everyone like the original 72 version or the re-record 73 version (hence a remixed version) There is a big difference in her lead vocal from the original 72 version vs the remixed (new vocal lead) version.

Would have to vote for original Album 1972 version as warmer vocal ....1973 rerecording and remix is more clinical :confused:

1991 remix is poor compared to other remixes ....and one of the worst
offenders is the 1990 UK #1 Album Their Greatest Hits with some remixes that sound awful ....sad that so many new fans bought these versions as their introduction to Carpenters music :!:

Peter

I've come upon an interesting fact that's not been discussed here: that some Carpenters promo singles, in many cases used the HAECO-CSG system for their pressings, while the stock singles were normal, straight stereo. I uncovered this fact this morning while checking out the single of "Top Of The World".

So, in fact, you can add yet another "mix" to the mix. This promo single has that off-balance phasey sound to it, while the one on SINGLES 69-73 is a straight stereo presentation.

And to further compound the issue, the mono side has two differently-recorded final notes on the pedal steel guitar. These are different than any other version I've heard.

Harry
NP: radio at work

PJ said:
1991 remix is poor compared to other remixes ....and one of the worst

Peter

The 2nd 1991 remix of Hurting Each Other is the worst, not Top of the World. There is so much tape hiss, it is unbelievable. The 1990 remix and the 1991(on Original Master Karaoke) are okay, but not the latest 1991 remix. It must be something similar to the 2 1991 remixes of There's a Kind of Hush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom