UMG Repressings - Any News

Lover Of Great Music

It has been nearly 3 weeks since I sent off photographic evidence that I had destroyed my 12 LPs and I know for some, it has been longer. Has anyone heard anything from UMG whether the new pressings have now been done or notifications that replacements are being sent out in the coming days. Bearing in mind this problem and how it would be resolved was acknowledged around 3-4 months ago, the saga seems to be dragging on a little longer than I anticipated.

Why don't you call them directly and then report back. I was one of the early buyers and I sent mine back end of Nov, so it was around the last week of Nov that I got UMe emails about destruction and re pressings. So it's been about 3 months exactly. I'd think they should be ready pretty soon.

Someone on the Newville Avenue page on Facebook said he’s received his replacement batch of vinyl from Universal - with the same problems as before (torn centre holes etc).

They sent me the 12 discs, not the original box (which I kept). I also noticed they didn't correct the words on the "singles" booklet. They look like Egyptian hieroglyphics! So I guess they just resent the original pressing”.

Why don't you call them directly and then report back. I was one of the early buyers and I sent mine back end of Nov, so it was around the last week of Nov that I got UMe emails about destruction and re pressings. So it's been about 3 months exactly. I'd think they should be ready pretty soon.
I’d love to call them directly, but not from the U.K. Probably cheaper for you. I’ll drop my contact an email in the next few days.

Oh yeah then email is your best bet.

It would be nice if they identified a marking in the run off on all the re pressings so customers would know for certain these were re pressed. Has that ever been done before?

Someone on the Newville Avenue page on Facebook said he’s received his replacement batch of vinyl from Universal - with the same problems as before (torn centre holes etc).

They sent me the 12 discs, not the original box (which I kept). I also noticed they didn't correct the words on the "singles" booklet. They look like Egyptian hieroglyphics! So I guess they just resent the original pressing”.
If you recall from the (now locked) big thread on the box set, several members of this forum received emails from Universal stating that the sets were not going to be re-manufactured. It follows that the replacements they are sending are from the original pressing. They made a lot of copies of each album to sell individually, which are sitting in a warehouse somewhere - did anyone honestly think that Universal was going to destroy them? Likely someone at Universal is visually inspecting the replacements for obvious defects before sending them out, and hence the delays. Unfortunately, as we already know, the LPs were pressed poorly, so just because the disc looks good visually, doesn't mean it will be free of audible defects. I expect we'll be hearing from a lot of disappointed people in the coming weeks.

I can tell you now, if they are replacing these bad vinyl`s with the individual albums already out there, there`s going to be a lot of angry customers out there, because they are all just as bad!!
as well as the box-set I bought, I also got three individual albums, which visually, look pristine and as good as the Japanese albums, but when you play them, they sound like they are covered in scratches. I`ve returned all 3 for refunds and won`t be buying anymore and to see that universal aren't getting these re-pressed properly and dealing with this like professionals, is frankly, disgusting! stick to originals guys and dump this junk like a bad habit :)

I received my replacements earlier this week. I had emailed to check a couple of weeks ago and the lady replied that the new pressings were almost ready.

I listened yesterday. They sound need great. The hole was a little tight but I can deal with that.
Jonathan

If you recall from the (now locked) big thread on the box set, several members of this forum received emails from Universal stating that the sets were not going to be re-manufactured. It follows that the replacements they are sending are from the original pressing.

I had emailed to check a couple of weeks ago and the lady replied that the new pressings were almost ready.

From the above, it would seem Universal have emailed some people telling them that new sets are being pressed and told others they are not. So which is it? Are Universal re-pressing these or simply sending out the best of a bad bunch as replacements?

I’m glad I stayed away from this purchase because it’s been a calamity from the very start. I agree with the post above advising people to stick with the originals.

Last edited:
Not to go back over the ground already covered (as I don’t want this to be locked like the first one was!), but the points mentioned here are of great concern to me. I have been promised brand spanking new pressings which were (allegedly) in the process of being manufactured. I have an open mind and wish to give Universal creedance and time to deliver on their promise!. I hope for my sanity that I don’t get left overs from some warehouse as the LPs even though most looked in fine fettle sounded the exact opposite. New pressings hopefully but I somehow doubt it!.

Also the fact remains that the original sets are still being sold, even today as I type this but hopefully these will indeed be re pressings but the proof is in the seeing and I haven’t got anything as yet!.

it begs an additional question - are these repressings or not?.

The only way to tell is the matrix numbers in the lead out groove. I am going to email them to find out if indeed they are repressed or being done at present.

I was told via Universal last week that they were getting redone completely and due to this the albums individually would be sent out - I understood that to mean completely new copies fresh from the manufacturer plant?.

From the original thread, this is from an email sent to Wayne from Universal:
Unfortunately, we will not be re-manufacturing complete box sets and will only be providing replacement LPs.

Member "friedchicken" then replied:
Yes, I just received the same e-mail. The customer service person just received word that they will not be re-pressing the box set and only replacing the individual faulty albums.

But now Wayne says that:
"I have been promised brand spanking new pressings which were (allegedly) in the process of being manufactured."

What exactly is going on here? Will the replacement LPs be from a new pressing, or pulled from existing stock? If they are being re-pressed, will these newly re-pressed LPs be sold to the public, or are they only making enough to fulfill the requests for replacements? Are the customer service reps at Universal as clueless as CSRs at most major corporations, and every one tells people something different? I guess we won't really know until more people get their replacements, and report on their condition and how they sound.

Straight from the Horses mouth this is from an email they sent me , this says to me completely new pressed product?.

Once we have the necessary information, we will process your reorder for your replacement LP(s). The re-manufactured product is almost ready. We will notify you once all requested information is received and it is ready to ship.

This email was sent to me on 2/2/2018

The conundrum here may be in the details: They say they "will not be re-manufacturing complete boxed sets".

That's different than saying they will not re-manufacture albums individually. To wit: Once we have the necessary information, we will process your reorder for your replacement LP(s). The re-manufactured product is almost ready.

I read this as - no re-manufactured complete box sets, just individual albums, which they will replace.

That’s good enough for me, as they are sending me the complete set!. As long as I get 12 brand new repressed albums as they have told me I’ll be more than happy.
But, if I get what has been discussed exhaustively ie, (albums pressed before Dec 2017 and sent out to try and hoodwink me). I will be angry and completely dismayed!. But I’ve got an open mind and Universal I trust to come through as they have promised to do so.

Last edited:
That’s good enough for me, as they are sending me the complete set!. As long as I get 12 brand new repressed albums as they have told me I’ll be more than happy.
But, if I get what has been discussed exhaustively ie, (albums pressed before Dec 2017 and sent out to try and hoodwink me). I will be angry and completely dismayed!.

Note also that they instruct those who want replacement albums to destroy the bad albums but say nothing about destroying the box and all other materials. Seems to support the above premise.

Regarding the manufacturing complete sets issue, how come “more stocks due soon” of the box set is being mentioned on certain websites?, if they ain’t releasing a fresh batch of complete box sets rectified ever, how can this be the case?.

If I get any reply from Universal about the repressings I will of course let others know. I’ll leave it at that until I find out something useful.

Perhaps @Harry can explain why the extraordinarily popular thread on the vinyl box set was closed to further replies as well as why certain threads are closed to further replies in general... It can be frustrating when a member does a search for a certain term or thread, only to find out that a particular thread has been closed to further replies. Sometimes revisiting a thread, as we do routinely for many others, is in order.

PS: I am not being critical, only inquisitive...

hopefully this one won’t go the same way as that one!, as it is after all discussing new subject matter which I feel is very important and requires members to contribute to get a good grounding and concensus.

If member A gets brilliant pressings with new matrix numbers and member B gets pressings with many issues I feel it is important to have a thread like this?, to ensure we all get a fair deal and offer each other support.

At the end of the day we all want repressings and not old stock left overs!, even though they looked ok they had issues as was discussed previously.

Last edited:
If you recall from the (now locked) big thread on the box set, several members of this forum received emails from Universal stating that the sets were not going to be re-manufactured. It follows that the replacements they are sending are from the original pressing. They made a lot of copies of each album to sell individually, which are sitting in a warehouse somewhere - did anyone honestly think that Universal was going to destroy them? Likely someone at Universal is visually inspecting the replacements for obvious defects before sending them out, and hence the delays. Unfortunately, as we already know, the LPs were pressed poorly, so just because the disc looks good visually, doesn't mean it will be free of audible defects. I expect we'll be hearing from a lot of disappointed people in the coming weeks.
I think they were simply stating that they are not going to be reproducing any new box sets of 12 albums. If as you say that it is impossible to visually check for audio defects, why would UMG having "someone" wasting time doing that. If the only way to satisfactorily check the stocks is to play each record, then that would take ages. Why would they risk spending time and money in sending out product that could still be faulty and then get a load of flack over it and more returns. Does not make sense.

I think they were simply stating that they are not going to be reproducing any new box sets of 12 albums. If as you say that it is impossible to visually check for audio defects, why would UMG having "someone" wasting time doing that. If the only way to satisfactorily check the stocks is to play each record, then that would take ages. Why would they risk spending time and money in sending out product that could still be faulty and then get a load of flack over it and more returns. Does not make sense.

That is very fair comment and logical, but to read above that one of the other members has had tight and torn labels in his ? New stock suggests that there could be further storms ahead regarding this saga!. It also suggests potentially (until we find out otherwise), that people are maybe getting old stock?.

Back
Top Bottom