• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

35th Anniversary Box Set Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I think it would be interesting to know what numbers you have on your box set with the 13 albums in it. I'm still waiting for mine so I'll post the number that is on mine when I get it.

Wow Calvin that is a low #. I always heard the lower the # the better for limited editions.

I'll post mine too here when I receive it.

....who checked on my package online & it's arrived at KENNEDY AMC on January 16, 2004, online....

OMG!!!

The mailman just came & I recvd by boxset!!!!

I'm so HAPPY!! :rotf:

Man that was FAST Delievery. I just got the confirmation ship date email on the 15th & recvd box set today 17th . WOW!!!! Japan to Florida in 2 days.

May I come in?

----I'd like to know how the CD's are in order(turn?).
Mine were
"Offering"
"Close To You"
"Made In America"
"Lovelines"
"Voice Of The Heart"

"Christmas Portrait"
"An Old-Fashioned Christmas"

----My "A Song For You" cover tells 'Vurlitzer Electric Piano' not 'Wurlitzer'. Which is yours?

----Mine is
# 000284

I pre-ordered last September. I received on Christmas night from HMV JP.

I wonder if Richard has #000001?

Chris,

I love your number. I may think about trade. LOL

Sakura
P.S. Have you been to Ran's website lately?

Arrived today in the mail!

# 000320 is my number.

VOICE OF THE HEART was packed in before LOVELINES, followed by both Christmas albums at the end.

Harry
...more later, online...

My company just left, been entertaining all day. Have only had time to open box set & just look at covers. Tonight I plan to dig deeper into this set. From what I can see so far, the covers are brilliant, the artwork & colors are excellent, especially the Now & Then Cover, wow so bright & colorful red's, brilliant job in making these.

Sakura, maybe the flap took off the W & it looks like a V for the word Wurlitzer? Possibility? Cause mine looks like your, Vurlitzer. LOL

Yes, mine are in same order as Harry listed.

Yippe I finally got artwork for Offering cover, the first time for me!!!

...who thinks this set will be worth every penny to me, online...

Thank you, Chris!

How about "Lovelines" cover?
My cover of "Lovelines" Japanese release, pccy-10022, is very much daker than a cover in box set.

Sakura

I was hoping that I would get a lower numbered set but my order was cancelled and delayed, and had to re-order again!

Finally, it arrived on Friday morning and the number is 001126. I haven't open it so I can't tell what order the CDs are in.

I'm a little concerned that front bottom sides of the box got dented. Aside from this, I'm glad that it is finally here! Can't wait to read the new liner notes!

SakuraSYayoi said:
Thank you, Chris!

How about "Lovelines" cover?
My cover of "Lovelines" Japanese release, pccy-10022, is very much daker than a cover in box set.

Sakura

LOVELINES is a bit lighter in this box set. The original album and CD were quite dark. Interesting that the dark/light splotching patterns on all of these releases is different. The Remastered CD and the old LP feature the splotching pattern in the Carpenters logo at the top, but this new box set reissue has the logo solid white.

Most of these mini-LP covers are quite accurate, not only in the pictures, printing and overall graphics, but down to the texture too. For example, OFFERING features a 'drop-down logo' and catalog number in the upper right corner. Back cover fonts are quite accurate. Inside the innersleeve is reproduced, though it is not a paper sleeve, just a single paper with the IH-7-POP advertisements on one side, and the "Pretty World" menorah on the other. The actual innersleeve that holds the disc is a soft cloth-paper sleeve that won't scratch the disc. Disc label is the old classic ochre color with the A&M logo at 9 o'clock - A&M in red. Fonts are close. (As a semi-interesting side-note: I'm now the proud owner of all-but-two of the albums featured on IH-7-POP in at least one format. The two I'm missing are Liza Minnelli and the Alan Copeland Singers albums. Really recent additions are the two Jimmie Rogers and the Chris Montez, which just arrived the day before this box set.)

CLOSE TO YOU accurately reproduces the original silver color of the first-edition LP though it places a smallish A&M logo in the upper-right corner, something that occured with later-issued LPs. Innersleeve is black&white 'Preserve The Sound Outside' Ansel Adams. Disc label is identical to the styling on the OFFERING CD.

CARPENTERS (tan album) accurately re-creates the envelope-flap style of the original LP, though to my eye, the tan coloring is a bit light. Perhaps mine has darkened over the years. The logo is properly embossed. A duplicate of the Ansel Adams innersleeve appears inside this album. Carpenters logo appears on the label for the first time, just as it did on the LP.

A SONG FOR YOU features the small flap on the back. The texture of the CD mini-LP cover is more linen-like than that of the original LP and the stylized logo-picture on the flap is not embossed. There appears to have been a printing error regarding the word "Vurlitzer." It appears that had it been properly printed, the flap would have intersected the "W" exactly halfway, resulting in the "V". The custom lyric with pictures innersleeve is accurately represented, but devlishly difficult to read - as it should be at this size. Label is still ochre, and again we get the Carpenters logo at the top.

NOW AND THEN features the trifold cover, just like the LP. Custom innersleeve with lyrics and car-collection pictures. Ochre label with Carpenters logo printed in red. Oldies medley is separated into individual tracks on the CD.

HORIZON has the top-rear flap, with the logo embossed. Coloring is accurately reproduced silver. Custom innersleeve with picture on one side and teeny-tiny lyrics on the other. Then-new silver and tan label is reproduced on the face of the disc, with the A&M logo accurately occuring at the 6 o'clock position. Label fonts are also accurate.

A KIND OF HUSH - one of the best Carpenters graphic packages is accurately reproduced for CD here. Backwards view out the window on the back - repeating white Carpenters logo printed on yellow inside the jacket - custom label with the back cover picture on it - and the custom innersleeve with picture and credits on one side, lyrics on the other.

PASSAGE, another interesing graphics LP, features the gatefold cover with lyrics and liner notes inside the fold, no innersleeve, and custom PASSAGE label.

MADE IN AMERICA gives us a custom innersleeve with lyrics on one side, picture on the other, and the early '80s red label with proper italic font, and the white-on-red A&M logo flying off into the black rim at the 2 o'clock postion.

VOICE OF THE HEART reverts to the silver-and-tan label with a custom innersleeve.

LOVELINES, as mentioned above, has a lighter coloration in the splotching on the cover. Though the album came out in the CD-era, and was designed as such, the LP that was issued had all of the lengthy liner notes printed on the rear cover, and that's accurately represented here. A truly lovely black/white/tan label graces the CD itself, again with proper fonts and graphics, though the color white is used as opposed to the original LPs more silver printing.

CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT has the proper silver and tan label and the parchment innersleeve. As mentioned elsewhere, this is the remixed version of the album with the hefty amounts of reverb. The liner notes talk about the original having been stored on a deteriorating self-destructive tape.

AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS again re-creates the original label's silver and tan design. No innersleeve here as the liner notes explain about this being a mid-line album, much to Richard's dismay. It's nice to finally have this album's original graphics in CD form.

Each of the albums have, in addition to their old A&M catalog numbers, another, newer Universal/Japan UICY number printed near it.

The set also includes a Carpenters logo handkerchief packed in cellophane, a book with over 200 pages, though much of it is in Japanese or just lyrics in both languages. Richard's notes about each album are fascinating as usual, and more candid as the years go by. There's not too much in the way of new information other than what's already been mentioned.

I've also saved the blue "obi" that was pasted on the cellophane outer wrapper, sticking it inside the box for future reference or value.

All in all, a worthwhile addition to this Carpenter fan/A&M geek's collection.

If only the Japanese people were as interested in Herb Alpert or the Baja Marimba Band... Sigh...

Harry
...with his take on the aesthetics of this expensive set, online...

We think alike Harry, I also peeled the Japanese blue obi off the cellophane outer wrapper & stuck it to a white piece of paper & placed into the box for validity of my sealed set purchase.

I read all of Richard's liner notes & learned a few new things, had wished the little black book contained a little more from Richard, like you said it is mostly lyrics in both english & japanese which takes the bulk of the book. I wish I could read Japanese, I noticed too that Yuka Ogura name was listed in alot of areas, Her email is even listed after the discussion Lovelines Japanese writing and her name after discussion of Christmas Portrait. Did she provide the Japan translation for this?

Like I mentioned, I wished that Richard had written a little more, guess I just hunger for more of his writing about each song from the albums. Also I got the feeling that towards the end of the albums, Richard wrote less & less about the tidbits. Had also wished he would have said that Karen was proud of the recordings from her solo album. (Has he ever acknowledged this?) Instead of always telling us, Karen later decided not to release it. Of course she decided to not release it after all the negative feedback she got from it. (I'm only going by what the Ray Coleman book says) To this day I still don't feel comfortable about the whole story behind this. But this box set was not about any of that so I'm not suprised he didn't elaborate more.

Another interesting feeling I got from reading all the notes from Richard is the fact how he mentions more than once how the managment team at A & M pushed them too hard in the beginings (too much touring over 200 in a year) & how they would say one thing & do another (example telling Richard that Old Fashioned Christmas would be released with promotion & full lyrics & whole package but he says it turns out that it was A & M's plan all along to release only as mid-line album. I don't think Richard regrets making the album, just I hear him saying sometimes the management team at A & M were not always right. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Is he referring to Herb Alpert personally? or some other management team? Little confused about that.

Also what are those interesting pages at the end in yellow about the songs & all the pencil writings on them, why are they there?

As far as the CD's: I have only listened to Offering-love the original artwork & it's special for me cause I have never seen this up close in my hands before. The offering cd sounds excellent to me, the clarity surpasses my original Ticket CD. Been enjoying it so much that I haven't listened to any of the others. :D

Lastly, I wanted to mention that I was really impressed with CDJapan with this whole order process. Went very smooth, I was little hestitant about ordering overseas like this & thought it would get lost & I'd be out 300.00 buck. But not only did it come within 2 days of my email, it arrived in bubble wrap to protect it during shipment...so no dents in the box at all for me, just perfect. Now I might get Treasures's from them also. :wink:

...with box set in hand, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I don't think Richard regrets making the album, just I hear him saying sometimes the management team at A & M were not always right. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Is he referring to Herb Alpert personally? or some other management team? Little confused about that.

Probably referring to the bean-counter types. I don't think Herb had much input as to which albums got mid-line treatment.

Also what are those interesting pages at the end in yellow about the songs & all the pencil writings on them, why are they there?

There's no explanation, but they look like the pasted on labels to the master tape boxes, complete with original scrawled notes. The first one has the entire OFFERING album, while the others seem to be for individual songs.

Harry
..whose weather has now changed back to snow, online...

Harry said:
CARPENTERS[/b] (tan album) accurately re-creates the envelope-flap style of the original LP, though to my eye, the tan coloring is a bit light. Perhaps mine has darkened over the years.

Yeah the tan color is pretty light on this mini lp cover, my original Lp cover is more a darker tan-ish color.

The little details are amazing on the covers. The tan Carpenters cover feels just like the album cover (kinda paper feeling, not shiny) then the cover for A Song For You is just like the larger LP cover, feels just like it with that textured paper feel to it. Simply amazing. Now & Then is also very cool, even the key lock in the door shows up clearly, the reds & greens are brilliant. Unfold it & it looks like a picture postcard. A Kind of Hush is one of my favorite covers & it is replicated here perfectly, the details of the water misting on the window is nicely done. The insert holding the Cd's remind me of rice paper sleeves, only cloth, I think this is a nice added touch. My separate mini Lp CD I purchased from the older box set had that thin plastic inserts for the CD, didn't like those as well as they never stay in one place & always bend & crease & fall out of the cardboard sleeve easily.

I can't stop opening the box & looking at them. Almost as much fun as I had when I first opened "From the Top Box Set" :)

...a very wet & rainy day here, online...

Thank you, Harry.
Thank you, Chris.

When I opened the box set, I felt the tan color is lighter than my LP's, both American release & Japanese release. But the differnce is smaller than "Lovelines." I thought it would give you image that it is lighter if I asked wheter it was lighter or not. So I only asked about "Lovelines".
Thank you very much!!

Harry said:

There's no explanation, but they look like the pasted on labels to the master tape boxes, complete with original scrawled notes. The first one has the entire OFFERING album, while the others seem to be for individual songs.
According to an interview with Shun-ichi Okano, who is credited as 'Japanese Project Coodinater' on 35th box set, in a book "Carpenters" which was published last May in Japan, when 30th box set was produced, Richard brought recording data attached to original master tapes and they take pictures of them.

Sakura

Hi Sakura,

What is the mood like in Japan over this new box set. Are the fans buying this one if they already have the other box set? Is there any write up's in the local papers about it, has Richard talked about them to anyone over there to promote it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

to tag onto this, who designed this whole package? How would that work with approval from Richard, Don't you think that Richard would need to look at the final product & give his ok? So would he go to Japan to do that? Or would they just communicate through phone & fax or mail? Whose idea was it to even make a mini style LP CD?

Hi Chris,

I have read that the advertisements for Caprneters' CD's were on the newspaper on New Year's Day. The newsapaper was one of famous newspapers in Japan. I'm sorry but I didn't get the newspaper and I don't know if the advertisements were for 35th box set or not.
I have read that younger fans bought the box sets so far but I don't know if fans who already have 30th box sets bought the new sets. (After I posted to Carpenters Mailing List last year I received the email that told that core Carpenters fans never posted to Carpenters Mailing List in Japan. Only Yuka?)
Yuka's website in Japanese has not updated this year.

Sorry I cannot help you.

There is STAFF CREDITS on last page of liner notes.

Sakura

SakuraSYayoi said:
There is STAFF CREDITS on last page of liner notes.Sakura

Right you are, I see that, I guess basically alot of the Japan Universal Directors that were involved in this and US art director too.

If you don't mind me asking, Sakura, what did you have to pay for the new boxset? I paid total $309.00 ship to U.S. If you don't want to say, just tell me I'm nosy. LOL

Chris,

It seems that I posted my previous message while you were editting your message.
According to a book "Carpenters" which I mentioned, Shun-ichi Okano said that he had thought about plans both for new fans and old fans. He planed the 30th box set. They tried to make mini LP's just like original LP's on artwork about covers, innersleeves and lyrics on innersleeves. Richard gave a permission to them for using "Offering" cover in 30th box set

My box set:
27,000yen + tax 1,350yen

I wonder which is cheaper for you receiving the box set from JPOPHelp or cdjapan.co.jp.
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21612&highlight=#21612
(I editted the link.)

Sakura
....hoping 350hunny will post a message about the mood in Japan over this new box set....

Japanese in light blue sticker on box set

The 35th anniversary of a debut
Carpenters Original Album Complete Collection
Degital remastered box set with paper sleeves of original studio albums which include Chiristmas albums for 35th anniversary
1 beautiful gorgeous box :rotf:
2 paper sleeves
3 numer
4 booklet with liner notes, lyrics and Japanese translation for lyrics
5 handkerchief with Carpenters logo

Sakura
....thinks "obi" means belt in Japanese....LP had "obi" but she wonders if sticker on CD case is "obi"....

I noticed too that Yuka Ogura name was listed in a lot of areas, Her email is even listed after the discussion Lovelines Japanese writing and her name after discussion of Christmas Portrait. Did she provide the Japan translation for this?
I have not answered your question, Chris.

Here is my message to another forum.

-from Yuka Ogura's liner note
"Offering"
...When I asked Richard about lyrics of "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" written by Neil Young, he said that he liked chorus part of 'sing'. The contents of this album was John Bettis' taste. 4 songs in this album were not new recording , but added to demo tape. Richard said that only "Ticket To Ride" was in "Offering" if they recorded debut album at that time (without containing demo)....
While Karen went to Jo Osborn's garage studio , Joe gave a bass guitar to Karen and gave her lesson. Karen plays the drums on all of songs of this album and plays the bass guitar on "Eve" and "All Of My Life". After Karen passed away, Richard replaced Karen's bass part to Jo's bass. Karen plays the bass guitar in this box set.

Yuka wrote translation for Richard's introduction and notes, Ray Coleman's comment and 'about box set', her liner notes and translation for lyrics. But almost all of them seems to be written for 30th box set.

Sakura

Still haven't received mine yet. I know U.S. was listed as 4-5 days, it seems to have taken 2, whereas U.K. was lsietd as 5-8 days, so I'm hoping Mr Postman rings twice this morning or tomorrow.

Yours rather jealously,

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom