Buy.com
Price: $13.97

Shipping: FREE
http://www.buy.com/prod/40-40/q/loc/109/212317864.html

DeepDiscount.com
$13.97

Free shipping
Label: A&M Records (Canada)
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewpro...paign=Google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=ANM713357

About a week ago I visited Universal Music Hong Kong site, but there were not new Carpenters releases. They still had the nice mini site for the Ultimate Collection.
Now they have 2 Carpenters at front page. One is "40/40".
20091016092430_7.jpg

October 13
With "Leave Yesterday Behind"
Title is "Carpenters - 40/40 best collection" but cover with "40/40" only
http://www.umg.com.hk/classic_detail.php?company_id=1&newrelease_no=1161

And they have mini site for 40th Anniversary with AUDIO.
http://www.umg.com.hk/minisite/carpenters_40/

I picked up the US release of 40/40 today. I found it in a Barnes & Noble store where I was looking for a particular title on DVD, so I picked this one up too.

Differences from the Japan version:
- As mentioned previously, the title is just 40/40 with no mention of "Best Selection".

- US booket is more detailed, with a fairly long set of liner notes by Mike Ragogna from conversations with Richard.

- The track list inside the booklet is detailed, listing session musicans and when the recording was remixed.

- Credits list that the compilation was produced by Richard Carpenter and digitally remastered by Richard and Bernie Grundman.

- There's a list of current other Carpenters discs available, and a list of ringtones you can buy for $2.49 each!

- The discs have a different cosmetic appearance, with disc one being cream-colored with brown text; disc two being the inverse, brown with cream-colored text.

- Each disc has its track list on the face of the disc.

- Back panel printing is a slightly different font, it has a barcode in the lower right corner, with an FBI Anti Piracy warning above. (But it's not the "blue" panel pictured on Amazon.)

- The jewelcase in which it comes is not quite as "fat" as the Japanese version, which had to contain not only the color booklet but the very thick Japanese-text booklet too.

- The discs, of course, are NOT SHM-CD's, like the Japanese discs are, but are standard CD's.

- Sound quality is quite good - I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference betwen these and the Japanese SHM-CDs.

- "Touch Me When We're Dancing" does indeed replace "Leave Yesterday Behind"

Harry

These are the remixes as listed in the booklet:

40/40 Track list
Disc: 1
1. Yesterday Once More (1985 remix)
2. Superstar (additional recording in 1985, remixed in 2004)
3. Rainy Days And Mondays (remixed in 1991)
4. Top Of The World (add. recording & remix in 1973)
5. Ticket To Ride (add. recording & remix in 1973)
6. Love Is Surrender (remixed in 1987)
7. Maybe It's You (add. recording & remix in 1990)
8. Reason To Believe (remixed in 1987)
9. Where Do I Go From Here? (mixed in 1989)
10. This Masquerade (remixed in 1990)
11. It's Going To Take Some Time (add. recording & remix in 1989)
12. One More Time
13. Those Good Old Dreams
14. For All We Know (add. recording & remix in 1990)
15. Crystal Lullaby (remixed in 1987)
16. I Believe You
17. (They Long To Be) Close To You (remixed in 1991)
18. Bless The Beasts And Children (add. recording & remix in 1990)
19. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
20. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (remixed in 1989)

Disc: 2
1. I Need To Be In Love (remixed in 1990)
2. Now
3. Solitaire
4. Please Mr. Postman (remixed in 1991)
5. Hurting Each Other (remixed in 1991)
6. I Won't Last A Day Without You (remixed in 1991)
7. Sweet, Sweet Smile
8. A Song For You (remixed in 1987)
9. Ordinary Fool (add. recording & remix in 1983)
10. When You've Got What It Takes
11. Goodbye To Love (add. recording & remix in 1985)
12. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (add. recording & remix in 1983)
13. Sing (add. recording & remix in 1994)
14. Baby, It's You (remixed in 1987)
15. Let Me Be The One (add. recording & remix in 1990)
16. Only Yesterday
17. Jambalaya (remixed in 1991)
18. Touch Me When We're Dancing
19. We've Only Just Begun (add. recording & remix in 1985)
20. When It's Gone (It's Just Gone)

Harry

Harry, is the recording of "Let Me Be the One" on the U.S. version actually the 1990 remix? The Japanese version of 40/40 says "1985 remix" in the liner notes, but it's the unremixed album version on the CD. I figured the 1985 part was a mistake, but listening to the CD, it's definitely not the remixed version.

David

Looking at those dates, could it be that Richard is done remixing? Only one remix in this set was done later than 2000, and the majority of them were done 18 or more years ago. Amazing how time flies!

davidgra said:
Harry, is the recording of "Let Me Be the One" on the U.S. version actually the 1990 remix? The Japanese version of 40/40 says "1985 remix" in the liner notes, but it's the unremixed album version on the CD. I figured the 1985 part was a mistake, but listening to the CD, it's definitely not the remixed version.

David

The US version does indeed contain the 1990 remix, as it appeared on FROM THE TOP. It's the longer version, with the drumstick count-in, and the "...figure out where the rest of the melody is, I'll sing it" ending.

Looking at my Japanese release, I see no mention anywhere of a "1985 remix". In fact, there's no mention that I can find about any of the remixes - at least in the English part, which is quite limited compared to the US release. Even searching through the Japanese text in the white booklet, under "Let Me Be The One", the only Arabic numerals seem to be "1975" and "'71".

Am I missing something from my Japanese set?

Listening to the Japanese SHM-CD, it clearly uses the old original mix of "Let Me Be The One."

Harry

In Japanese song note of "Let Me Be The One" the following is written.
Al Wilson's "I Won't Last A Day Without You/ Let Me Be The One" became #70 in 1975.
Album "Superstar"(Japanese name of tan album) released in 1971

I have heard the version on YouTube.

QVC has photos of back cover and discs.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...c.Carpenters-40th-Anniversary-4040-2-Disc-Set

Download site in New Zealand?
http://www.digirama.co.nz/searchsummary.aspx?AuthorID=51699

Somewhere in Europe
http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/carpenters/40_40_the_best_selection/

Review from Denmark?
http://www.kulturplakaten.dk/4040-nyt-greatest-hits-album-fra-the-carpenters/

HMV Hong Kong? with TV spot that I saw at YouTube
http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/rockpop.asp?sku=763368

Who are the song writers that wrote "Superstar" in the liner notes of your country release? Thanks.

Sakura

Isn't it interesting that not a single track from Made In America has ever been remixed. I guess it's testament to the fact that a. the recording techniques were such by 1981 that they were able to get exactly the sounds they wanted and b. that they spent more money on this album than any other (with the exception of 'Christmas Portrait').

newvillefan said:
Isn't it interesting that not a single track from Made In America has ever been remixed. I guess it's testament to the fact that a. the recording techniques were such by 1981 that they were able to get exactly the sounds they wanted and b. that they spent more money on this album than any other (with the exception of 'Christmas Portrait').

How about "Only Yesterday"?

SakuraSYayoi said:
newvillefan said:

"Only Yesterday" is from HORIZON.

Harry

Harry said:
SakuraSYayoi said:
newvillefan said:

"Only Yesterday" is from HORIZON.

Harry
Sorry I thought Stephen was talking about remix. I always felt that "Only Yesterday" and songs from "Made In America" are Richard's favorite product. He doesn't have to remix them.

Is there any word on how sales are going on this album in the US? or is it too soon to know anything?

I bought the Japanese version and won't be buying the US release..

jonathan

SakuraSYayoi said:
I always felt that "Only Yesterday" and songs from "Made In America" are Richard's favorite product. He doesn't have to remix them.

I remember when Richard appeared on 'This Morning' in the UK, he enthused about 'Only Yesterday' and said that song featured probably the most vocal overdubs done by the two of them on any of their records.

On this score though, it's weird how Richard removed or softened the synth at the end of 'Those Good Old Dreams' but doesn't consider it a remix. It is in my book.

newvillefan said:
SakuraSYayoi said:
I always felt that "Only Yesterday" and songs from "Made In America" are Richard's favorite product. He doesn't have to remix them.

I remember when Richard appeared on 'This Morning' in the UK, he enthused about 'Only Yesterday' and said that song featured probably the most vocal overdubs done by the two of them on any of their records.

On this score though, it's weird how Richard removed or softened the synth at the end of 'Those Good Old Dreams' but doesn't consider it a remix. It is in my book.

I'm not sure what is remix or remaster after listening SHM-CD "40/40". lol
Why only "40/40" let me feel like this? Because Bernie and Richard were able to remaster it as how they would like to?

How was "This Morning"? What year? Do you think I have watched it? Thanks.

Sakura

Harry said:
Looking at my Japanese release, I see no mention anywhere of a "1985 remix". In fact, there's no mention that I can find about any of the remixes - at least in the English part, which is quite limited compared to the US release. Even searching through the Japanese text in the white booklet, under "Let Me Be The One", the only Arabic numerals seem to be "1975" and "'71".

Am I missing something from my Japanese set?

Hey Harry.

I think we might have discovered the difference between the limited edition "low price" 40/40 and the standard release -- I didn't get the limited edition copy; I bought the standard Japanese release last month.

The notes on the remixes are included with each of the lyrics in my Japanese booklet, which is 68 pages long. I've scanned page 44 so you can see the notes:

4040pg44.jpg

The "Additional recording and remix done in 1985" is clearly a mistake with "Let Me Be the One." (Although when I first read that note, I was very excited that perhaps we had uncovered a previously-unheard remix.)

This is what the front of my Japanese 40/40 booklet looks like:

4040japcover.jpg

Don't know if this is the same book that came with the limited edition version or not...

David

Interesting.

What came in the first edition that I got was was the color booklet (only a few pages with basically track listings and pictures; a black and white booklet looking like yours on the front, but inside that black & white booklet, other than the track listing, is mostly Japanese text, and an English lyrics section. The English lyrics though are just that - no notes like you pictured.

These are the pictures I'd posted of that first Japanese release:

DSC02616.JPG

DSC02615.JPG

DSC02614.JPG

DSC02613.JPG

DSC02612.JPG

DSC02617.JPG

DSC02618.JPG

Harry

I can't believe it, but I just ordered 40/40 at amazon.de, even though there are no unreleased tracks on it. Am I a fan or not? :)

amazon states, that the release date was October 20th. Price is 20 Euro. Delivery time: 1 to 3 weeks.

Let's see, which version I will get.....

Bruno

Got my copy at Barnes and Noble. Seems like "Carpenters peforms Carpenter" was JUST released (ha! make that 6 years ago!).

All these compilations! This one's mighty similar to GOLD.

This new 40/40 package is a definite dissapointment.While the track selection is very good,the mastering(or remastering???)is terrible.It almost sounds like this was mastered from an old cassette.And,of course,Richard used alot of those horrible remixes.(has anyone noticed the rerecorded bassline on the "Close To You" remix?It sort of has a "fart" sound to it-maybe Richard was eating too many beans when he did that remix!)And,if all that isn't bad enough,Richard(or Universal) used the same liner notes that go on every comp plus the same cheesy photos.(the cover photo is good-but the back cover and booklet photos could've been better).On a positive note,It's good to see great tracks like "Ordinary Fool" and "One More Time" included on a compilation.To sum it all up: Good track selection,Bad mastering,worse remixes and cheesy liner notes & photos.
Incidentally,as far as remastering goes-the "Essential" boxed set and "20th Century Masters-millenium collection" have the absolute best sound quality of any Carpenters release-and several of the "remastered classics" album reissues(from 1998) were excellent,also.And,the Readers Digest boxed set deserves an honorable mention-fantastic sound and probably the best boxed set ever released.

mr J. said:
While the track selection is very good,the mastering(or remastering???)is terrible.It almost sounds like this was mastered from an old cassette.

That's a bit harsh - and I believe hardly accurate. Can you be more specific as to which songs you think sound that bad? The SHM-CD version from Japan sounds superb, and this one's just a redbook CD version of that.

And,of course,Richard used a lot of those horrible remixes.(has anyone noticed the rerecorded bassline on the "Close To You" remix?It sort of has a "fart" sound to it-maybe Richard was eating too many beans when he did that remix!)

This release is almost exclusively remixes.

And,if all that isn't bad enough,Richard(or Universal) used the same liner notes that go on every comp plus the same cheesy photos.(the cover photo is good-but the back cover and booklet photos could've been better).

Well, the "story" doesn't change, and Richard seems to favor only the barest minimum of pictures. There must be tons that he dislikes.

On a positive note,It's good to see great tracks like "Ordinary Fool" and "One More Time" included on a compilation.

Agreed.

Incidentally,as far as remastering goes-the "Essential" boxed set and "20th Century Masters-millenium collection" have the absolute best sound quality of any Carpenters release-and several of the "remastered classics" album reissues(from 1998) were excellent,also.And,the Readers Digest boxed set deserves an honorable mention-fantastic sound and probably the best boxed set ever released.

Again, agreed.

Harry

mr J. said:
This new 40/40 package is a definite dissapointment.While the track selection is very good,the mastering(or remastering???)is terrible.It almost sounds like this was mastered from an old cassette..

Are you kidding me? an old cassette? lol. I think you should return your CD and request another...you must have a defective CD.

I, myself, thought it sounded excellent. I had my headphones on and the lights off just to enjoy the album!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom