• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters 55th Anniversary Celebration - April 2024 in Downey

The event organizers made large centerpieces from all of Carpenters album labels for each table in the room. Every album was represented, and looked exactly like the 12” vinyl albums. Credits and all. He’s holding the one from the A side of Horizon. I handed it too him, and said he repeated a crack at the strange fact that it took 4 writers at Motown to come up with a simple 4 cord hit in the 60’s, and their own success with the song. He was very pleased at the detail in the design of the centerpieces. I handed him another to view before they went back stage.
He and Mary came back about 20 minutes later to sit in for our group photo before we said our goodbyes.

Our Forum friend, and all things Carpenters, Chris May interviewed Richard for over an hour after our dinner Saturday night. The group of over 100 enthusiastic, and stunned fans, were overwhelmed at Richard’s surprise appearance. Many tears in faces. I get pretty emotional myself every time I think about it. It helped that Chris, and many in the Downey community, including their mayor, persuaded him to make the trip from Thousand Oaks to Downey last night. They presented him with a couple of plaques from the city for their contributions to the Downey, and a larger one to be installed at the park where they performed many times before being signed to A&M. Richard brought his beautiful wife Mary along for the event. Richard talked about how things started at A&M, and all the money spent without much resistance from the A&M brass. Especially for such a mediocre attempt at a first album. Then the story of how CTY came to be. The rest led to an overwhelming, and wonderful career, until Karen’s passing. He’s extremely grateful, and humbled to still be so popular, and loved by fans all over the world today. He especially thanked those in Great Britain and Japan for keeping the legacy going. He’s excited to be performing in G.B. this fall.
That must’ve been so awesome to be in his presence and hear the stories. Did he do any autographs or photos with the fans ?

It won’t let me post a larger picture unfortunately. It says the file is too big for the server. ☹️
He signed 2 autographs, and then was lead away while we tried to get everyone together for the group photo. That’s how I got so close to talk to him. I was in awe to say the least. 🤩
Wow. An amazing experience I’m sure. This makes me even more excited to be seeing him in September when his tour starts

If I can figure out how to upload a video, I will. I went to my photo library a dozen times to try, and the videos aren’t there, only pictures. I’m bummed about that.

I wish I had taken pictures of the centerpieces. So much going on. Maybe Portlander got some. He was sitting about 10 ft. from the stage. He may have gotten an autograph too. Lucky guy. I’ll post a few more pictures of the Proclamation. Hope you can decode it?

That cool, do you have a link to the paper online? I’d like to see it.
Older article:

Quote from the article in the Downey Patriot:

"This week’s anniversary celebration has
attracted fans from around the globe, with
attendees arriving in Downey from Canada,
Australia, Europe, Mexico, Brazil, Sweden,
Singapore and Japan."

:rolleyes:

Quote from the article in the Downey Patriot:

"This week’s anniversary celebration has
attracted fans from around the globe, with
attendees arriving in Downey from Canada,
Australia, Europe, Mexico, Brazil, Sweden,
Singapore and Japan."

I'm surprised they don't think Australia is part of Europe because it competes in the Eurovision Song Contest :laugh:

I almost forgot. The author Paul Tornbohm who just released Carpenters every album, every song came on Saturday too. He was there to sell, and autograph copies of the book. He sold out!!!

IMG_5584.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom