Carpenters charts information*

adam

Hi
Does anyone have any Carpenters chart postions of countries like Sweden,Brazil,mexico,argentine or any European countries.any info appreciated.
P.S
Ive got chart positions of Uk,Usa,japan,australia<canada and Ireland,hong kong,malaysia<holland.

karl

Phillipine Music has Gold at #47 and Christmas Collection at #18 (Today).

This week worldwide itunes performance:
Carpenters Worldwide iTunes Performance | Last update: 2014-10-22 13:05:07 EDT |

Album: Carpenters: Gold - Greatest Hits
#51 Philippines
#126 Panama
#134 Vietnam
#150 Cambodia
#173 Hong Kong
#179 Japan
#185 Ireland
Album: Christmas Collection
#19 Philippines
Album: Carpenters Gold - 35th Anniversary Edition
#193 Cambodia

Movers this week:
Carpenters Worldwide iTunes Performance | Last update: 2014-11-09
#16 Malaysia
#59 Philippines
#70 India
#113 Paraguay
#115 Cambodia
#118 Chile
#141 Ecuador
#146 Hong Kong
#151 Peru
#155 Vietnam
#156 Argentina
#161 Costa Rica
#200 Dominican Republic

Album: Carpenters Gold
#13 Mexico

Album: Carpenters: Singles 1969-1981
#147 Dominican Republic

Album: Carpenters Gold - 35th Anniversary Edition
#158 Cambodia

Chicago, Illinois Top 40 Charts 1970-1979
Chicago Top 40 Charts 1970-1979 examines the Windy City's top hits as documented by the weekly record store surveys issued by radio station WLS:
Carpenters Peak Positions:
Ticket to Ride............... ......#35
Close To You....................... #1
We've Only Just Begun........ #2
For All We Know................ #4
Rainy Days and Mondays.... #2
Superstar.............................. #3
Hurting Each Other............ # 1
It's Going To Take Some Time #9
Goodbye To Love................... #7
Sing...................................... # 4
Yesterday Once More........... #4
Top of the World.................. #2
I Won't Last a Day Without You #15
Please Mr. Postman................ #1
Only Yesterday........................ #3
There's a Kind Of Hush.......... #25
I Need to be in Love............... #35

Source:
books.google.com/books?isbn=0595206220

Interesting to see a regional chart compared to the national ones.

"Ticket to Ride" made the Top 40!!

"Top Of World" didn't hit #1, but "Hurting Each Other" did.

Most of these singles are only a few places either direction from their Billboard peaks. The only exceptions look like "...Hush" and "I Need..." which are 10 or more places lower than their national peaks. So, it looks like Chicago was an early supporter but then also early to lose interest.

Interesting to see a regional chart compared to the national ones.

"Ticket to Ride" made the Top 40!!

"Top Of World" didn't hit #1, but "Hurting Each Other" did.

Most of these singles are only a few places either direction from their Billboard peaks. The only exceptions look like "...Hush" and "I Need..." which are 10 or more places lower than their national peaks. So, it looks like Chicago was an early supporter but then also early to lose interest.
Interesting, I grew up in Chicago, and I have a strong memory of hearing lots of Karen's voice back then on the radio, especially at Christmas. I didn't buy my first album until '85 or so, but I do believe Chicago radio planted the seed for me. And look! Here I am today on this board!

Great thread!

I'm happy to know all of you!

CARPENTERS - SINGLES 1969-1981
Silver Certification (Album) 31 October 2014
UNIVERSAL MUSIC (A&M)
BPI/UK Silver=60,000Units.

The Carpenters The Singles 1969-1973 (1973) 11.3 million units worldwide

This information taken from ukmix.org--I am unable to verify authenticity.

I also live in Chicago, and Karen and Richard are played a lot at Christmas.

The tunes programmed regularly on the popular oldies stations are:

-Merry Christmas Darling (1970 version is played more than the 1978 recording)
-Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
-Home For The Holidays
-Sleigh Ride

Chicago, Illinois Top 40 Charts 1970-1979
Chicago Top 40 Charts 1970-1979 examines the Windy City's top hits as documented by the weekly record store surveys issued by radio station WLS:
Carpenters Peak Positions:
Ticket to Ride............... ......#35
Close To You....................... #1
We've Only Just Begun........ #2
For All We Know................ #4
Rainy Days and Mondays.... #2
Superstar.............................. #3
Hurting Each Other............ # 1
It's Going To Take Some Time #9
Goodbye To Love................... #7
Sing...................................... # 4
Yesterday Once More........... #4
Top of the World.................. #2
I Won't Last a Day Without You #15
Please Mr. Postman................ #1
Only Yesterday........................ #3
There's a Kind Of Hush.......... #25
I Need to be in Love............... #35

Source:
books.google.com/books?isbn=0595206220
Thanks for this!! I'll have to pull out my old "survey" collection and list Nashville's information... Although I memorized quite a bit. I remember Yesterday Once More made it to number 1 here... as did Top...
BTW - Was Solitaire mentioned?
Finally, ironic that the numbers were bookended by the number #35...

BarryT60 ,
Solitaire was not included on the list....that struck me at the time I found the list, also.
Very perceptive commentary!

American iTunes Chart Performance

"Christmas Portrait (The Special Edition)":
Chart Statistics:

• Release date: 31 Oct 1978
  • Chart debut: #95 (08 Dec 2013)
  • Highest Position: #46 (15 Dec 2013)
  • Most recent chart position: #65 (24 Dec 2013)
  • Days on US Albums Chart: 17

As of the latest update on itunes, November 27,
Carpenters have gone from#37 to #52, for Christmas Portrait (Special Edition).
A quick look at this chart shows the average price of Christmas albums between 6.99 and 9.99.
Why UMG has Portrait at $11.99 boggles my mind--nice way to 'shoot yourself in the foot'.
I do not want to deny anyone their rightful profit, but this album should be much higher on the
chart, and I can only surmise that it is lower due to its cost.

Does anyone know the billboard holiday chart positions over the years for Carpenters christmas songs. It might be a bit of a huge task! I have most of the positions for the last 4 years for 'Merry christmas darling', 'Home for the holidays', 'sleigh ride' and 'have yourself a merry little christmas' but were there more.

It'll be interesting to see how far up the Billboard album charts 'Christmas portrait' will get this year, will it ever crack the top 100? I think the album also got to number 104 in the uk 5 years ago.

Does anyone know the billboard holiday chart positions over the years for Carpenters christmas songs. It might be a bit of a huge task! I have most of the positions for the last 4 years for 'Merry christmas darling', 'Home for the holidays', 'sleigh ride' and 'have yourself a merry little christmas' but were there more.

It'll be interesting to see how far up the Billboard album charts 'Christmas portrait' will get this year, will it ever crack the top 100? I think the album also got to number 104 in the uk 5 years ago.
I would LOVE if you could post those. I was wondering about that. Of the two stations that play all Christmas here, the one plays Home For the Holidays the most, while the other plays Merry Christmas Darling the most. My two favorites are Merry Christmas Darling and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, but i love them all.

I was looking at the billboard charts last week and could only find a holiday album chart for this year, have they stopped the xmas singles chart. I see 'Christmas portrait' has still not made the charts yet. oh dear!

Some UK Chart information:
26 November 1983 Voice of the Heart was #18 at 7 weeks.
2 December 1978 The Singles 1974-1978 was #18 at 1 week.
Year End Chart Statistics:
1974: The Singles 1969-1973 was#1 Now and Then was #25
1975: Horizon #4 The Singles 1969-1973 #10
1978: The Singles 1974-1978 #48
1979: The Singles 1974-1978 #81

Source:
UKMix

December 3,2014
Christmas Portrait Special Edition#48 itunes christmas chart
#30 Oman
#54 Chile
#59 El Salvador
#64 Philippines
#106 Cambodia
#130 Botswana
#168 Vietnam
#174 South Africa
#200 Hong Kong

Album: Christmas Collection
#51 Singapore
#107 Philippines

Album: Christmas Portrait
#191 United States

Album: The Essential Collection - 1965-1997
#139 Oman

Last edited:
So there is still a holiday singles chart, I couldn't find it this year on billboard, did they rename it or something. I will bookmark the page so I can track the songs this christmas. I don't know why they only play the same 3 songs every year, well, and 'sleight ride' which usually charts alot lower. They could also play 'White christmas', 'Ava Maria' and 'Santa claus is coming to town' after all they were released as singles. Still no sign of 'Christmas portrait' on the main holiday chart and top 200. Maybe they should have released the Christmas Icon album instead this year?

So there is still a holiday singles chart, I couldn't find it this year on billboard, did they rename it or something. I will bookmark the page so I can track the songs this christmas. I don't know why they only play the same 3 songs every year, well, and 'sleight ride' which usually charts alot lower. They could also play 'White christmas', 'Ava Maria' and 'Santa claus is coming to town' after all they were released as singles. Still no sign of 'Christmas portrait' on the main holiday chart and top 200. Maybe they should have released the Christmas Icon album instead this year?
Keep in mind, thats only the top 100 of national airplay. They play other songs of theirs, and with so many hundreds of stations throughout the country, it would be interesting to see what some other areas local stations play

Carpenters songs I have heard this Christmas on the 2 local Detroit radio stations that are all Christmas, in order of how often they play them (I check the stations playlist frequently lol lol)

104.3 WOMC (programmed by the station)
Merry Christmas, Darling (heavy rotation)
Carol of the Bells
Sleigh Ride
Home For the Holidays
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

100.3 WNIC (use the standard clear-channel playlist ugh)

Home For the Holidays (heavy rotation)
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Carol of the Bells
Sleigh Ride
Merry Christmas, Darling
Christmas Waltz
I'll be Home for Christmas

In the past I have heard Santa Claus is Coming to Town (1974 single) but not this year. Also...I LOVE their version of The Christmas Song, wish they would play that.

One things for sure....while the Carpenters non-holiday songs have mostly disappeared from radio airplay, the Christmas ones are a yearly standard, and Merry Christmas, Darling is an annual CLASSIC that will never die!

Interesting that Christmas Portrait would rank at 59 on the Itunes chart (which is dominated by younger people) but not the main top 200? Sounds fishy to me

Merry Christmas, Darling is an annual CLASSIC that will never die!

I hope that's true. If you search just the title on Google you'll still come up with mostly links to the Carpenters' classic in one way or another, but there are now, once per page or so, an annoying number of links to the "GLEE" rendition of the song.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom