⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
i like this project, I am, in no fashion, in love with it. I do appreciate the purer sound of the vocals. I really appreciate the lead vocal of TMWWD being brought forward, which I think must of us have been wanting. I have always appreciated most of the original arrangements or original arrangements that were altered for singles release. I do not find any of the new augmentations offensive, but I don't think many of them were necessary.

having said that, I feel an opportunity was missed. I consider BABY IT'S YOU, THIS MASQUERADE, and SOLITAIRE as Richard's masterpieces; none of these NEEDED any augmentation. but since that was the purpose of this project, I felt THIS MASQUERADE could have been handled differently. I have always considered the piano interlude as another lead vocal in this piece. I feel a new piano line COULD have been recorded ( like the new sax in SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN ). I think it could have offered a fresh breath, without ruffling anyone's feathers.

At the end of the day, it's the same songs we know and love.
The true impact of this release (introducing Carpenters music to new fans) is not known, yet.
Hopefully sales keep going up.

The interludes and subtle changes to the accompaniment make this enjoyable.
That's the job of this collection, and how could we expect it to do much more?

For me, "Touch me when we're dancing" and "I just fall in love again" are really nice surprises.

We get to have more than one way to hear The Carpenters. The more the merrier. :)
I'm not sure how many times Superstar has been remixed, but this one so fine too!

Let's not lose sight of the fact that 4 years ago Richard said he was "all done."
This and anything we might see (Carpenters with the RPO Part 2?) will be gravy.

Random question: Has anyone tried to sync any of their videos with these new remixes, yet?

I have not received my cdjapan copy as of yet. But, I look forward to bonus Postman...
In the interim, reading the Liner Notes of the USA copy, I read this....
"...more than a few of our earlier recordings came to a close at a faster tempo
than they had begun
..." (Richard Carpenter).
I would be most interested to discover which songs here Richard is writing about,
as he has rectified that issue on those songs for this cd.

In the interim, reading the Liner Notes of the USA copy, I read this....
"...more than a few of our earlier recordings came to a close at a faster tempo
than they had begun
..." (Richard Carpenter).
I would be most interested to discover which songs here Richard is writing about,
as he has rectified that issue on those songs for this cd.

I asked this very question a few pages back; he doesn’t mention which songs he’s referring to as far as I’m aware...

Source: www.universal-music.co.jp/carpenters/news/2018-12-18-media/

Universal Music Jp
says:
Carpenters will be featured at 38 stations nationwide "JET STREAM" nationwide on TOKYO FM
as key station for three days from December 24 (Monday) to December 26 (Wednesday) .
Please listen!
TOKYO FM "JET STREAM" Monday - Friday 24: 00-24: 55
Monday, 24th December - Wednesday 26th December
JET STREAM- TOKYO FM 80.0MHz - 大沢たかお

Thank you for the info, GaryAlan.

In 1970s, we used to listen to the radio, looking for something new.
And we recorded it on cassette tapes. "JET STREAM" was also there.
This program provides only a poetical DJ narration & music.
So, you cannot expect any new information about Carpenters from that.

BBC Radio 2 will broadcast more important program on 23rd December.
BBC Radio 2 - The Carpenters A-Z, With founding member Richard Carpenter

This info was brought by Nicko who started a new thread.
New BBC radio interview/ show this christmas
https://forum.amcorner.com/threads/new-bbc-radio-interview-show-this-christmas.16645/#post-185623

This past Monday I went to Barnes & Noble to see if the new CD was being sold.
I only found 1 CD...can you see it? lol

They have loads of vinyl so I checked out the C section, believe it or not the same 2 LP's that I saw last year were still there, The Singles 69-73 and Close To You. I took a picture but it's the same as last year this time when the albums came out, I moved them to the front.

MCFpxy6.jpg

• Is the drumming "new" on This Masquerade? Drumming on the original sounds much better.
  • Close To You - during the bridge, I prefer the original "aaahh aaaa aahhh ..aaahh aaaa...aaahh aaaa aaahhhhhhh". This new arrangement sounds robotic. :eek:

• Is the drumming "new" on This Masquerade? Drumming on the original sounds much better.
  • Close To You - during the bridge, I prefer the original "aaahh aaaa aahhh ..aaahh aaaa...aaahh aaaa aaahhhhhhh". This new arrangement sounds robotic. :eek:
It's still the wonderful drumming of ms Carpenter on This Masquerade.

There's a part of the song, Baby It's You where there is an instrument that comes in from the orchestra, it first starts at 24-26 seconds and then you hear it again...when Karen sings.."What can I do" right after that at 1:05 to 1:07.
The initial entry, with 2 phrases, is an English Horn. Then at about 0:53, an oboe takes over for 2 phrases.

Also of interest, Richard added a "far-away" trumpet at 1:17.

For me, Close to You is the only track that leaves me cold on the new album. It feels almost sterile. I always feel musically there's a certain magic in those tiny imperfections, but now that every beat and note is quantized to exact precision, something feels lost.

The CD from Japan arrived today so I've finally been able to listen to Please Mr Postman. I was feeling a bit disappointed initially as nothing really seemed any different other than new stereo drums here and there. And then the orchestra finally kicked in, albeit briefly. I thoroughly enjoyed the new bit although it left me wishing it had received more of this RPOiness.

One thing struck me about the photo on the back of the CD booklet that I hadn't noticed on the UK version (although it's exactly the same only less glossy) - Richard appears to have a big zit under his lip. I've checked the same picture on the Essential Collection CD set and the spot isn't there, presumably airbrushed away (quite rightly so too!)

I have not received my Japan cd, as of today.
But, Please Mr. Postman did appear on Youtube today.
I reserve judgement, but, note that the initial drum-intro to the song is gone.
The song begins-cold-with "Stop !"....
Keyboards sound different to my ears.
Lead vocal is interesting, I do love what occurs beginning at 1:19,
also, castanets are much up-front at conclusion of song.
In general, I like it. Do I like it better than the original ? Take a guess.

I have not received my Japan cd, as of today.
But, Please Mr. Postman did appear on Youtube today.
I reserve judgement, but, note that the initial drum-intro to the song is gone.
The song begins-cold-with "Stop !"....
Keyboards sound different to my ears.
Lead vocal is interesting, I do love what occurs beginning at 1:19,
also, castanets are much up-front at conclusion of song.
In general, I like it. Do I like it better than the original ? Take a guess.
Gary - the opening drum in Please Mister Postman is there on the Japanese CD - albeit a different one.

This past Monday I went to Barnes & Noble to see if the new CD was being sold.
I only found 1 CD...can you see it? lol

They have loads of vinyl so I checked out the C section, believe it or not the same 2 LP's that I saw last year were still there, The Singles 69-73 and Close To You. I took a picture but it's the same as last year this time when the albums came out, I moved them to the front.

MCFpxy6.jpg

Yes. Only one at our Barnes and Noble also. Didny see any vinyl, but there were about 5 older compilations in the cd section. I moved them all up on the upper level, side by side.

Jonathan

Yet another glowing review appears:
Music review: ‘Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’
  • By Clint Rhodes For the Herald-Standard
Excerpts:
"It’s heartwarming to once again hear arrangements like “We’ve Only Just Begun,” “Top of the World,” “Rainy Days and Mondays” and “I Just Fall in Love Again” with lush orchestration and Karen’s iconic voice bringing new life to these glorious pop arrangements."
---
"Treat yourself to these timeless classics and fall in love once again with the music of the Carpenters."

Source:
Music review: ‘Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’

Gary - the opening drum in Please Mister Postman is there on the Japanese CD - albeit a different one.

Just so I understand this are you saying that the Target version of Please Mister Postman doesn't have the opening drum but that the Japan CD does have an opening drum beat?. If you could post the first 10 seconds of the Japanese one I would greatly appreciate it as I may have to buy it then.

Many Thanks

Scott B

Just so I understand this are you saying that the Target version of Please Mister Postman doesn't have the opening drum but that the Japan CD does have an opening drum beat?. If you could post the first 10 seconds of the Japanese one I would greatly appreciate it as I may have to buy it then.

Many Thanks

Scott B

Scott, I think what was discussed here was that a YOUTUBE video of Please Mr. Postman did NOT have the opening drum, and then it was mentioned that the Japanese version DID. To put your mind at ease, both the Target and the Japanese version have the opening drumbeats. It's just a Youtube video that supposedly doesn't.

Scott, I think what was discussed here was that a YOUTUBE video of Please Mr. Postman did NOT have the opening drum, and then it was mentioned that the Japanese version DID. To put your mind at ease, both the Target and the Japanese version have the opening drumbeats. It's just a Youtube video that supposedly doesn't.

Thanks Harry. I just checked my Target one and it's there.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard it, so that's why I used the word "supposedly". That's an uploaded video from an unofficial source, and they cut off the opening.

Back
Top Bottom