⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
As Mike Blakely said, in order to get Daugherty’s name completely, removed would require another lawsuit, and this time it would be with Daugherty’s estate if it occurred.
Ah, now I understand what you meant. Thanks for that clarification!

So...finally, that Japan pressing has arrived.
First stop...Please Mr. Postman....
I must say, I do like the creativity thrown into this song !
The drums that begin the song, what kind of drums are they ? certainly not from the original.
But, I like it quite a bit.

Still, I think Harry's right. Richard was likely referring to the fact that the Philharmonic CD itself is new, not the format itself.

Ed

I'm sory. My translation "the medium (CD) has just come out" was a bit ambiguous expression.
I might had to write ”The medium (CD) had just become widespread”, or something...
English is not my native language. I have to study English more & more...
But, if you ask Richard by yourself, he will explain to you in a right expression. That's for sure!

Here is Richard's video by Associated Press

Last edited:
I have to say the best part about this whole project has been Karen’s vocal up front and centered stage. Richard admitting that he wanted to removed the reverb and bring Karen voice up is the highlight for me. He’s spoiled us because now I want all the original albums to sound like Karen does on the RPO.

I have to say the best part about this whole project has been Karen’s vocal up front and centered stage. Richard admitting that he wanted to removed the reverb and bring Karen voice up is the highlight for me. He’s spoiled us because now I want all the original albums to sound like Karen does on the RPO.

Right? All of his remixes beyond this just drown Karen in hall reverb and it's such a shame. I glad he saw the folly of it for the new album and used far less of it than in times past.

Ed

Right? All of his remixes beyond this just drown Karen in hall reverb and it's such a shame. I glad he saw the folly of it for the new album and used far less of it than in times past.

Ed
I think the point he was making is that he felt like he had to add so much reverb to wash out the ambient noise. Now that technology has advanced where he could remove the ambient noise without covering it up, he could reduce the reverb to the point that he wanted to.

I was looking on the Billboard "Top 200" (and don’t know enough about the Billboard charts to understand why it’s included on “top album sales” and not the “top 200”).

As I understand it, at least: The Billboard 200 considers every format and every form of delivery -- so, if you buy a CD in a store, download digital files, or even listen to an album via a streaming subscription, it counts.

The Billboard Album Chart, on the other hand, only considers sales of albums (LP and CD) in stores or online. I think paying for a download (as opposed to just streaming the music via Amazon or some other subscription) counts the same as a physical sale.

Ho Ho Ho, Here is another video of Richard's TV appearance in Japan.

YouTube:
MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!Uh1HVC4T!Oxl3X01GGwO3kYPiWzkEfM-4MyL6-lzYet-anXWEqHo

[Notice]
The quality of video is not so good, but this is the only video I could find.
if you cannot watch YouTube video in your country, use MEGA instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
TV show Gogo-Nama (Dec. 13, 2018)
[BGM] "Yesterday Once More", "Top Of The World"
MC talks about profile of Carpenters, about new album...

[Q] Richard, you are leaving Japan today. How do you like Japan?
[Q] What is your favorite food in Japan? [Richard] Kobe Beef!

[Q] What did Carpenters mean to you, Mr. Nagira?
[Nagira] Their singing was very clear and well-mannered.
The others' singing was difficult for me to hear the words.
But, I could hear all the words in Carpenters' song.
Did they keep in mind to do so?

[Q] You have been wishing to work with an orchestra?
[Q] How was that working with the RPO?
[Q] Everyone says "Close To You is a perfect song", but you wanted to do something more?
[Q] Karen's voice had come to life again by the newest technology. How did you do that?
[Q] Karen passed away 35 years ago. How did you get over it?
[Q] Message for Japanese fans?

[Jun Miho] I was always singing "Please Mister Postman" in my childhood.
[Richard] Oh, some Japanese people learned some English from Karen's voice...

[Reiko Yuyama] I sing their songs in medley at Karaoke... They are the best group in 1970s.
[Jun Miho] I always realized that how much Karen loved his brother in those days...
[Eiichiro Funakoshi] They were beautiful people, just like their songs...

(The end)

I'm sory. My translation "the medium (CD) has just come out" was a bit ambiguous expression.
I might had to write ”The medium (CD) had just become widespread”, or something...
English is not my native language. I have to study English more & more...
But, if you ask Richard by yourself, he will explain to you in a right expression. That's for sure!

Here is Richard's video by Associated Press

No need to apologize! You are doing beautifully! If I had to guess, I would say that when the Carpenters' recordings were first released on CD, the medium was new. After all, CDs came out in 1982, a year after Made in America was released. So when the Carpenters' albums were digitally remastered and re-released on CD early on, maybe there were limitations in the technology that don't exist now, and Richard was able to utilize the newer technology with this album.

Thanks lotus for the questions...I could follow it so much easier. These were some great questions too. This one Q-"Karen passed away 35 years ago. How did you get over it?" Richard's response was so touching. Thanks for sharing.

Ho Ho Ho, Here is another video of Richard's TV appearance in Japan.

YouTube:
MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!Uh1HVC4T!Oxl3X01GGwO3kYPiWzkEfM-4MyL6-lzYet-anXWEqHo

[Notice]
The quality of video is not so good, but this is the only video I could find.
if you cannot watch YouTube video in your country, use MEGA instead.

TV show Gogo-Nama (Dec. 13, 2018)
[BGM] "Yesterday Once More", "Top Of The World"
MC talks about profile of Carpenters, about new album...

[Q] Richard, you are leaving Japan today. How do you like Japan?
[Q] What is your favorite food in Japan? [Richard] Kobe Beef!

[Q] What did Carpenters mean to you, Mr. Nagira?
[Nagira] Their singing was very clear and well-mannered.
The others' singing was difficult for me to hear the words.
But, I could hear all the words in Carpenters' song.
Did they keep in mind to do so?

[Q] You have been wishing to work with an orchestra?
[Q] How was that working with the RPO?
[Q] Everyone says "Close To You is a perfect song", but you wanted to do something more?
[Q] Karen's voice had come to life again by the newest technology. How did you do that?
[Q] Karen passed away 35 years ago. How did you get over it?
[Q] Message for Japanese fans?

[Jun Miho] I was always singing "Please Mister Postman" in my childhood.
[Richard] Oh, some Japanese people learned some English from Karen's voice...

[Reiko Yuyama] I sing their songs in medley at Karaoke... They are the best group in 1970s.
[Jun Miho] I always realized that how much Karen loved his brother in those days...
[Eiichiro Funakoshi] They were beautiful people, just like their songs...

(The end)

Wow...thank you for sharing! It must have been tough for Richard to be surrounded by so many people talking kind of all at once and trying to focus on the translator, and then reply slowly to allow her to translate back. He seemed very genuine though and honored by their enthusiasm.

In case anyone thought this was an instrumental-only album, the UK sticker specifically mentions it features Karen’s voice...

DB8F4B6D-4FE0-48D5-91B7-01AC3E2B8561_zpslifnazbv.jpg

It could be that some might buy the album or not buy it, not knowing if it was just an Orchestra doing Carpenters (instrumental) hits, or an Orchestra doing Carpenters hits with Karen's vocals...maybe....so that is why there is that clarification I'm guessing...

So...finally, that Japan pressing has arrived.
First stop...Please Mr. Postman....
I must say, I do like the creativity thrown into this song !
The drums that begin the song, what kind of drums are they ? certainly not from the original.
But, I like it quite a bit.
@GaryAlan, I have a renewed appreciation for “Please Mr. Postman” after the RPO treatment. From the surprising (steel?) drum kick-off to the startling / refreshing strings starting with the, “...so many days you passed me by,” line. Breathes new life into this US #1 from over 40 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom