⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
It's a shame he didn't take it to some morning show, heck, even a late show. Lord knows their music has the power to attract people , it just needs to be heard. Would be great if they played a bit of the SUPERSTAR video.

I finally listened to the new cd. I wanted to wait a while and take in all of the reviews. Reading all of the intricate details of what was changed and what wasn't has been very interesting. My personal bar was set very high because I wanted a full sweeping orchestra behind Karen's voice, not just insertion of new sounds here and there. I enjoyed the Overture and the new lead-ins for the songs. There should have been more promotion here in the states. So many young people are starving for real talent instead of the garbage that is pumped out of the radio these days, from all genres! So for me, it was a very big missed opportunity :shrug::bangwall:. I do thank Richard for being active with keeping their legacy alive.

Superstar, RPO:

Nice. These orchestra shots are part of the video shoot spanning 2 days of sessions. I was wondering what they'd use the clips for and I still think they might be doing a more extensive documentary because they shot a lot with several cameras including a boom. You can see me in the background by the piano. At one point I disappeared,:cool:, while I sneaked around behind the brass to check some notes. I'm surprised they kept that footage where I'm walking back. It's a little distracting. Anyway, thanks for posting this.

I guess I missed this...didn't know if was officially out...first time seeing and hearing it being played against the original video...fits well.
Did the RPO hear Karen singing while they recorded the instrumental parts..I see them with headphones on...was Karen being played over loudspeakers in the recording room or through headphones or not at all?

I'm not sure about the players' mix. I had the same mix as Richard in my cans. It included the original rhythm tracks, sans vocal, plus the orchestra, and the harp which was in an isolation booth. I doubt the players could hear Karen's vocals because we couldn't.

I do remember listening in the control booth to playback of one of the first songs, Close To You. The concertmaster and lead viola and cello were in the booth. They turned to each other and smiled when the "Wah, a-a-a-ah" came in toward the end.

It's a shame he didn't take it to some morning show, heck, even a late show. Lord knows their music has the power to attract people , it just needs to be heard. Would be great if they played a bit of the SUPERSTAR video.
This morning on the Today Show, they came back from commercial with Savannah singing Close To You. Al asked "why are you singing a Carpenters song?". I couldn't figure out what the answer was, something about Weezer doing a cover?? I thought maybe they'd be talking about the RPO album, but no. It was only about 10 seconds and on to something else.

Wow, I really loved watching the Superstar RPO video above. Seeing the actual instruments make the changes really shines some new light on it. If only there was a break down for each song like this. Is there a post on here, or is someone creating one, where it explains exactly in detail what was changed in each song?

I think it would be cool to have s couple songs with no original tracks included. Just Karen’s voice and the RPO

Yes!! I think that would be absolutely wonderful. There are a handful of unreleased recorded vocals..."The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", "Thank You for The Music"... Taking those and having Richard do full new orchestrations would be great. I also wish that Richard would do new stripped-down arrangements of some of the songs too, like "Make Believe Its Your First Time" and "The Uninvited Guest."

Yes!! I think that would be absolutely wonderful. There are a handful of unreleased recorded vocals..."The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", "Thank You for The Music"... Taking those and having Richard do full new orchestrations would be great. I also wish that Richard would do new stripped-down arrangements of some of the songs too, like "Make Believe Its Your First Time" and "The Uninvited Guest."

IMHO, "Make Believe It's Your First Time" is all done. The version on Karen's solo album is definitive for my ears. Richard whiffed it.

Ed

Reasons for the album dissapointing chart sucess: 1- LAck of promotion 2- tracks not really that different from original work. Original work had orchestrated sound.. 3 for the general public specially in the USA this is an instrumental only album which is a no-no nowadays....

Reasons for the album dissapointing chart sucess: 1- LAck of promotion 2- tracks not really that different from original work. Original work had orchestrated sound.. 3 for the general public specially in the USA this is an instrumental only album which is a no-no nowadays....

You left out 4 - the singer has passed away so they can't fully promote the album. Same issue as with "Karen Carpenter", though they didn't even try to promote that one - at least not here in the U.S. I'm honestly not sure about 3. Maybe they should have made a bigger deal of the fact that Karen's voice is featured on the album?

Ed

IMHO, "Make Believe It's Your First Time" is all done. The version on Karen's solo album is definitive for my ears. Richard whiffed it.

Ed

I would use the vocal from Karen's solo album, but also include the vocal from the new bridge that is in Richard's remake. I would also use the final vocals from Richard's remake because of the key change.

That for me is the biggest reason for its lack of success.
I think that's part of it, but also, the overall decline in music buying from people in the Carpenters' base demographic. After CDs started disappearing from stores, my music purchases definitely have waned compared to a decade ago. If I hadn't known this release was out there thanks to this forum, I'd probably never have stumbled across it anywhere else...because I can no longer buy music through browsing and serendipitous discovery. And to raise much of a buzz elsewhere, it may have needed to contain a few unreleased tracks, use the symphony more, or at least depart a bit from the track listing that has been pretty much constant on every anthology. A shame, because it's a nice piece of work and a worthwhile addition to any fan's Carpenters library.

Maybe Richard should’ve orchestrated a version of “Baby Shark” and created a mashup version of one of the Carpenters songs for the RPO album.

I would use the vocal from Karen's solo album, but also include the vocal from the new bridge that is in Richard's remake. I would also use the final vocals from Richard's remake because of the key change.

I wouldn’t honestly. The bridge Richard asked for isn’t necessary. Bob James’ arrangement is brilliant and the vocal that adorns it is of a piece. This song is the perfect example of what happens when one arranger (the incomparable Bob James) works exclusively for the song and highlights the voice perfectly. It also shows us what happens when another wants to put his own stamp on it and does far too much. Richard just misses on this one. Richard stripped nearly all the intimacy from the tune - leaving only a bit of it in the first verse. Bob James kept it all from beginning to end. Not every tune needs an orchestration. Not every tune needs background vocals either and this tune is proof of that.

Ed

So these are the sales so far I've heard, bare in mind that the UK one is now out of date by a few weeks:

UK: 60,000
US: 20,000
Japan: 11,800

So these are the sales so far I've heard, bare in mind that the UK one is now out of date by a few weeks:

UK: 60,000
US: 20,000
Japan: 11,800

Oh, that's pretty terrible. I think it's safe to say that kills the idea of getting another one of these. I'm quite surprised that the numbers in Japan are worse than those in the U.S. I never would have imagined that.

Ed

Oh, that's pretty terrible. I think it's safe to say that kills the idea of getting another one of these. I'm quite surprised that the numbers in Japan are worse than those in the U.S. I never would have imagined that.

I think the song selection is as much to blame as the unambitious use of the orchestra. On both fronts, I believe Richard played it far too safe. With the exception of two album tracks - which proved to be standouts - the tracklist reads like yet another Greatest Hits collection. I said way, way back on this thread that many of the other RPO collections featured a healthy smattering of lesser known album tracks, which provided a point of interest for buyers and reviewers, and that I hoped this album would be the same. One reviewer described I Just Fall In Love Again as “jaw-droppingly beautiful”. It stands out precisely because it’s a lesser known track and therefore stimulates a reaction. As it stands, on the bulk of the set the RPO is reduced to the role of adornment over a collection of largely identical-sounding greatest hits. I just wish Richard had dared to be more ambitious.

Last edited:
Japan's sales are actually much better than the US based on percentage of population, 126M to 327M. Zero promotion in the US is disappointing because it's a wonderful (not perfect to some) album and something Richard and all Carpenter fans should be proud of.

Little doubt that Richard Carpenter, as well as we 'fans' are proud of this accomplishment.
And, sales, while not as robust as I would like to see, are not really terrible, give the environment today.
Remember, I was able to listen to almost every song on this cd before I ever received the physical cd (Youtube).
Universal Music Group had posted those songs online previous to the date I actually received my Amazon USA disc.
Thus, as for physical sales, I have no idea what anyone could have expected !
In the environment of today's music scene/market, the sales look okay to me.
I fail to see how physical sales could have gone higher, without even more promotion.
I still believe insufficient attention was paid to enhancing the songs with more of the RP-orchestra.
My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom