• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Close To You Laserdisc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when that program first surfaced. It was shown on PBS, and of course as a giveaway for membership, the professionally produced VHS tape was available for x amount of dollars contributed. The VHS was said to contain more than what PBS aired, and I suppose it did. My decision was to wait for a digital format release, like LaserDisc.

Later that year, I recall, the LaserDisc became available, but though I collected LaserDiscs, DVD was on the horizon, and I decided once again to hold off. As it turned out, CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS became my first DVD purchase. At the time, the only DVD player we owned was in my wife's newest computer -- and as it turned out, this region 0 DVD wouldn't play, since the software wanted a region-coded disc to set the player's region code.

After we bought a region 1 movie to try out the player (SOMEWHERE IN TIME), the Carpenters DVD played fine. It wasn't long after that that we got a home DVD player for our main TV system.

I suppose that this particular release on LaserDisc might end up being a curiosity like LOVELINES on LP, both coming at the end of their formats' particular reigns.

Oh, by the way, I did manage to collect three Carpenters titles on LaserDisc: YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, INTERPRETATIONS (from Japan), and LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN (also from Japan).

Harry
...with this title on DVD only, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom