New Carpenters collection due 2/10 w/three unreleased tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

There is an ad on the back page of the January Ice magazine that promotes a February 10th release of "Carpenters Gold - 35th Anniversary edition". The cover is identicle to the "Gold DVD". The ad says it is a two disc set with 40 tracks, including three tracks never released in the U.S.

So, I am sure this means three tracks from "As time goes by" will be included on this set.

Oh, yet another hits collection. My Carpenters collection now as more greatest hits CD's than original Carpenter albums.

I only wish we had the new Richard Carpenter Christmas CD to enjoy this year...

Jeff

So it's been pushed back a couple of weeks, eh? Earlier reports had it streeting on 1/27/04. Maybe someone thought it would make a good Valentine's Day title.

You're likely right about the three 'unreleased tracks' being from AS TIME GOES BY. Still I guess we can always hope for something else new.

The album is listed at CD Universe, though no track listing yet.

Harry
NP: radio at work

This makes this USA release much more interesting -ideally these include at least one previously unissued Carpenters track -not just three others from 2001 As Time Goes By .... :confused:

However probably 3 tracks are :

Leave Yesterday Behind

The Rainbow Connection

And When He Smiles

-All great tracks ...just sad that USA Universal still will not issue full ATGB Album as was intended :sad:

Peter

I always thought that the US version of Gold was going to be identical to the Japanese version. However, the Japanese version only has 2 tracks that are from the ATGB album. The tracks are the Rainbow Connection and Leave Yesterday Behind.

The bounce of a couple of weeks for new releases for 1st quarter(Jan.,Feb.,Mar.)is not unusual,especailly for catalog material,even with new packaging. But bringing this out Jan.27 would have been better to place product in stores and/or online stores which still must deal with shipping time to the customer. Valentines Day is a notoriously late buying holiday(most of those heart-shaped boxes of candy are sold the last 36 hours,including the 14th itself). A couple of reasons why you don't see major artist new releases this time of year:many people are still paying off Christmas;weather-a snow out on the East Coast that might play havoc on a Tuesday release can have killing results for the life of the album;new this year is an earlier Grammy broadcast which means that for a couple of weeks the industry is looking at their past instead of their future. However, I would be encouraged by the ad in Ice,though-as cheap as it is to place an ad there(especially for Universal),they are at least notifying an important customer base that will want this first day. "Another hits collection" or not-remember that ULTIMATE MANILOW was released similar time in 2002(hmm-wonder if there are mail order TV spots scheduled?)and this brought about Sony's interest with Barry's Christmas project(when up till then only little old Concord Jazz was interested in Manilow) and probably the Bette Mider/Rosie Clooney project that followed. Mac

Probably better to release Carpenters USA Gold away from January period and market Springtime as key new compilation :)

Universal & Richard promotion combination could ensure most successful recent Carpenters chart / sales results ....similar to Manilow's Ultimate set success :)

With 40 tracks - all Carpenters USA Singles can be included plus many extra Album favourites and these as yet "unknown three previously unreleased in USA tracks" -and best of all state of the art mastering plus booklet / recent Richard liner notes on each song :D

Something to look forward to aside from Japanese 13 CD Boxset :D

Peter

With the exception of a brief five song set at the Top of the world benefit at the Carpenter center last year, Richard has been just a family man.

I really think Richard either does not know his marketing potential, or really just wants to stay home. I see all of these symphonies around the country that would be perfect for Richard to be a guest star. Here in Southern California, we have the Pacific symphony. This past year, they featured Olivia Newton John, David Cassidy, Anne Murray, and Neil Sedaka. The guest artist performs the second half of the concert. Richard and the Carpenters music would be perfect!!!

Quite a while ago, Richard did a brief tour in Japan. He performed a "test concert" at the Carpenter center. It was great! He could be a terrific concert attraction, if he only wanted to. His concert performance could drive CD sales. Or, imagine a package called 70's love songs" with Richard, The Captain & Tennille, and David Gates. They could share an orchestra and people would love it.

Ah, just a Christmas wish I guess.

Eventually!

Patience, my young Padewan!

Harry
...too much Star Wars, online...

Thanks to Randy Schmidt, here are the three tracks (Unreleased in the U.S.) included on the Gold release.

Leave Yesterday Behind
Rainbow Connection
California Dreamin'

All three, as we guessed, were included on "As time goes by".

:sad:

I just have a hunch that this will replace Yesterday Once More. I think that sales on this have done poorly. We'll just have to wait and see.

I hope it's not a carbon copy of that YESTERDAY ONCE MORE package-the last thing we need is a rehash of Karen and Richard's most embarrassing moments!(i.e. "Sing","Calling Occupants","Hush","Sweet Sweet Smile""Please Mr.Postman","Top Of The World")Hopefully,Richard and A&M will assemble this collection with more wisdom.I would like to see "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" on this package(the remix,preferably),as well as "A Song For You","Solitaire","Look To Your Dreams","Ordinary Fool","Where Do I Go From Here" and,to close the collection-"Sometimes".Of course,Karen's signature tunes are expected-"Rainy Days","This Masquerade","Close To You",etc.Hopefully,all of K&R's best work will be here!

Incidentally,I'm not too crazy about those 3 designated "new" tracks-I would've rather had "I got Rythym" and "You're Just In Love".

Well I agree that some of those "embarrasing moments" may not be the best Carpenters ever, but they were all hits and thus have a good shot at winding up on any "hits" collection.

I wonder what RC would put on a collection titled "The VERY BEST of Carpenters." There was a Doobie Brothers CD released a while back called DOOBIES' CHOICE which consisted of the band members' picks of their own favorite songs. Almost none of the hits were included on the disk. But it is still a great listen! It would be interesting to know what Richard thinks are the very best songs, forgetting if they were hits or not.

Hello all

All I can say is that Karen must be turning in her grave, at the thought that Rainbow Connection is going to be out there and heard by the masses on a nationally released greatest hits package (this is NOT, WAS NOT ever a hit!) across the US.

Richard is on record as saying she would come back down and get him if he ever released this.

Fair enough, he's probably upset with Universal for denying the US buying public ANYTHING from As Time Goes By, but is this doing anything to help?
It's not the strongest track from that album, and is probably only known to those who remember the Muppet Movie.

I dunno....

Stephen

No, Rainbow Connection was never a "hit", but I, for one, am VERY glad that Richard chose to release it! I've always liked the song and what better person to hear sing it but Karen! Karen turning over in her grave? I doubt it, but she might be very amused!! After all, Karen did have a marvelous sense of humor!

Marilyn,
trying to keep it all in perspective

newvillefan said:
Hello all

Richard is on record as saying she would come back down and get him if he ever released this.

Stephen

If I'm right, he would have meant Karen would come back down and get him if the song was completed but still in the vault.

He may suggest that Karen would know that the fans would like the song and she would urge him to release it for us to hear it if possible.

Actually, getting requests and demands from the fans all over the world,
Richard finally decided to finish the song and there you have it!

Personally, the song is excellent and I believe it's one of Karen's finest performances. The song was used for opening a Japanese soap opera and it didn't hit as big as I Need To Be In Love.
I think that's because this song is a bit too long with the intro and in its full lenghth like I Just Fall In Love Again, it seems difficult to edit it for a short version for opening the show. Actually they always faded it out in the show. The show was not so appealing to younger generations and for me, it was the pitts :mad:
The other song Leave Yesterday Behind would have probably been more suitable and easier to edit.

Polydor's A&R man for Carpenters admits that there wasn't enough promotion for this song and he wishes he had done so.

CARPENTERS GOLD – 35th Anniversary Edition

cover & article
http://www.musicremedy.com/articles/index.cfm/music/FuseAction=ShowMessage/Id=451/index.cfm

Tracklisting

1 Superstar
2 Rainy Days And Mondays
3 Top Of The World
4 Maybe It's You
5 Let Me Be The One
6 Reason To Believe
7 Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
8 Leave Yesterday Behind
9 Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
10 Bless The Beasts And Children
11 It's Going To Take Some Time
12 The Rainbow Connection
13 Only Yesterday
14 Sweet, Sweet Smile
15 There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
16 California Dreamin'
17 Solitaire
18 We've Only Just Begun
19 This Masquerade
20 Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day)

DISC 2
1 Yesterday Once More
2 Please Mr. Postman
3 Hurting Each Other
4 I Need To Be In Love
5 Merry Christmas Darling
6 (They Long To Be) Close To You
7 All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
8 Sing
9 Make Believe It's Your First Time
10 Ticket To Ride
11 Goodbye To Love
12 I Just Fall In Love Again
13 I Believe You
14 Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
15 For All We Know
16 Touch Me When We're Dancing
17 I Won't Last A Day Without You
18 Mr. Guder
19 A Song For You
20 Karen's Theme
http://www.musicremedy.com/articles/index.cfm/music/FuseAction=ShowAlbum/Id=451/index.cfm

An interesting collection of tracks. Wonder if there will be any new re-mixes?

2 great tracks to end this collection with, A Song for You & Karen 's Theme.

...contemplating yet another new release, online...

So then, if this is to be considered a replacement for YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, here's what's on GOLD that's NOT on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (2nd version):

Maybe It's You
Let Me Be The One
Reason To Believe
Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
Leave Yesterday Behind
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
The Rainbow Connection
California Dreamin'
Solitaire
Merry Christmas Darling
I Believe You
Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
Mr. Guder
A Song For You
Karen's Theme

And here's what gets left off of GOLD that IS on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE:

Because We Are In Love
Want You Back In My Life Again
Those Good Old Dreams

Harry
...analyzing, online...

Hey Harry,

"Sweet, Sweet Smile" and "This Masquerade" are on both your lists. And if I'm reading correctly, I think each of these songs will be on GOLD.

Tony

Right you are. That's what I get for hurrying. I'll go edit the list above.

Harry

As much I like Maybe It's You and Mr. Gudder they definitely should have been replaced by Baby It's You and All Of My Life..... :cry:

And where is Where Do I Go From Here? And Desperado? They surely must haveen intead of I Believe You (same mistake they did back in '78) and Karen's Theme ( who could come as a bonus track after the last one: A Song For You, actually Richard could play with the instrumental part of those songs like the fake intro).

Don't You Guys Agree?

Yes, "Desperado" and "Where Do I Go From Here" are incredible performances. I guess we all have our own ideal track list. I personally would like to have seen things like "Ordinary Fool", "I Can Dream Can't I", and "Now" included, instead of certain other selections.

"Leave Yesterday Behind" is nice, and I realize that it is included as one of the previously unreleased tracks in the U.S., but I think that album cuts such as "You" or "Two Sides" are much nicer. "You" is such a beautiful song. I think it could use a remix though.

Even though I find some of the selection choices disappointing, I'm sure I'll be purchasing this one along with everyone. Here's to another compilation! :wink:

One thing that bothers me is the inclusion of "Merry Christmas, Darling" right smack dab in the middle of disc 2. I thought that after the box sets Richard learned his lesson on placing Christmas tracks in the middle of compilations. He got it right on CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER, but now, here it is back in the middle of things, when it clearly didn't have to be. It's not like these tracks are attempting a chronological order like the box sets did.

Hopefully there will be some nice liner notes to go along with this one - and perhaps even some promotion to try and push up sales. I know that the UK's GOLD compilation did well, so perhaps A&M/Universal will attempt to mirror that success. It'll depend on pricing - this is a 2-disc set - the UK's was one disc. People may not be as willing to spring for this compilation as they are a single-disc comp like LOVE SONGS, which I understand sold pretty well.

Harry
...hoping for the best, online...

-Merry Christmas, Dariling
When I read the tracklisting for the first time, I also wonder why this song is 5th song of Disc 2.
There were this song and "For All We Know" at last of Disc 1 of "from the top". It may be the turn in timeline.
There were Christmas songs at last of 'Reader's Digest' set.
Karen loved Christmas songs and Karen and Richard recoreded Christmas album(s) over 1 year. Richard may also think about his solo Christmas album anytime of the year. I don't care if I hear Christmas songs all through year, if the songs are performed by Carpenters.

Thanks to my friend on this forum, I have heard an interview with Karen about "Christmas Portrait", 1978.
It's just a happy feeling that sticks with you all the time. I enjoy doing this type of music all year round, which has been proved, because it took us 14 months to cut this album, and while people were walking down the aisles saying, 'what in heaven's name are you doing Christmas stuff in the middle of August, it never occurred to me, cause I could do it anytime of the day or night, anytime of the year."

But I don't think all of Carpenters fans love listening to Christmas songs in spring or summer. So I would like to have "Merry Christmas, Darling" as last song of Disc 1 (or maybe last song of Disc 2).
When I posted my previous message, I expected that someone would post that Sakura's message was wrong and correct tracklisting is....

-from the article of which link was in my previous message
The two-CD Carpenters Gold – 35th Anniversary Edition (A&M/UTV Records), released February 10, 2004, celebrates their enduring popularity by collecting most of their singles (all 21 Top 40s), many of them in their later remixed versions; numerous popular album cuts, and a few rarities--40 songs in all, each digitally remastered. The package also includes a reminiscence by Richard, who produced the compilation, as well as his recollections about each recording.

....Today, more than 20 years after their last recording, more than 20 years after Karen’s death, and now 35 years after Carpenters were first heard on record, Richard writes, “One can only imagine the music that could have been made had Karen lived; I really feel that the best was yet to come. At least we have these recordings, and many others, as quite a legacy.”

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom