• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Carpenters collection due 2/10 w/three unreleased tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inclusion of "Merry Christmas Darling" bothers me as well. As much as I love it, I agree that putting it near the beginning of disc 2 is not so great.

Now, I've been known to listen to "Christmas Portrait" in the middle of summer like many other fans, but it's not a selection that I want to pop up in the middle of a hits collection automatically. Hearing the song too much during other times of the year makes it seem not quite as special as hearing it during the holidays for me.

Let's have a recall election on the tracks for this CD! :laugh:

Well compiled set -though interesting to note various singles / chart hits have been omitted .... :o

Considering Richard 's stated later favourite album is Made in America -there are few tracks included -only I Believe You and Touch Me.... :o

I would like Harry have preferred Merry Christmas Darling to have been placed at the end of the set or left as an bonus as on Carpenters Perform Carpenter set ....

I am disappointed that more As Time Goes By tracks were not included -especially And When He Smiles -which would have avoided the link with the 1976 Hits Medley on ATGB-perhaps Richard will include on next key compilation :?:

Looking forward to Mastering / Richard's liner notes for each track -with some different views / recollections :)

Should Richard be looking towards two future compilations -ideally the following would be amongst most wanted :

STANDARDS or probably more aptly AMERICAN STANDARDS -with some extra outtakes / demos / alternate versions as bonuses....

FAVOURITES ....similar to Japanese 1987 Treasures album track collection ...over 2 CD's with 40 > 45 tracks and again some demos / alternate versions included.....

Peter
Compilation Fast Forward :)

I agree that MCD seems kinda odd in the middle of the CD, I thought adding it as bonus on CPC was ideal.

I don't think I'll be getting this one, as I already have these including the bonus tracks from the Japan As Time Goes By, so nothing new here for me.

In my opinion, there are three songs that don't belong here:
MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING, I BELIEVE YOU and MR.GUDER.

Instead, THOSE GOOD OLD DREAMS should be on that track listing.

To release three songs from AS TIME GOES BY is necessary to get the album sold. It's a promotion trick: INCLUDING THREE UNRELEASED SONGS!!

I have the European version of CARPENTERS GOLD. But as I know myself, I will be buying this new US version nonetheless.....

Bruno

Richard probably wanted to include as many Carpenters singles and chart hits as possible -so included Christmas #1 MCD :o

Am surprised that Richard omitted :

Those Good Old Dreams
Want You Back In My Life Again
Beechwood - 45789
Goofus
Honolulu City Lights
You're The One

All USA Singles or Promo -Singles :o

-Maybe not Goofus -my least favourite Carpenters track -despite being a Karen fav....Richard never remixes or includes on Singles collections :)

Mr Guder was UK hit in 1974 and remains a key Carpenters track in terms of sound , arrangement and harmonies plus history for Richard as early example of Carpenter / Bettis collaborations :)

I Believe You is great Karen vocal and Paul Riser arrangement -probably not a sound choice as a Single with late 1970's radio programmers :?:

Any others that could / should have been included ?

Peter

I agree that Merry Christmas Darling should be in there but I think that it should be at the end. I also think that California Dreamin shouldn't have been included. Forgive me but I don't think this is the best Carpenter's song at all. I wish (Want You) Back In My Life Again wasn't omitted.

Has Richard fixed the lyric sheet noise in Tryin' To Get That Feeling again :?:

Just an update as the release date gets closer. The artwork is up on some sites, and it looks familiar to those of us with the UK compilation of the same name from a couple of years ago (a big seller by the way).

511156.jpg

Carpenters
Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition

Announced track listing:

DISC 1:
1. Superstar
2. Rainy Days And Mondays
3. Top Of The World
4. Maybe It's You
5. Let Me Be The One
6. Reason To Believe
7. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
8. Leave Yesterday Behind - (previously unreleased)
9. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
10. Bless The Beasts And Children
11. It's Going To Take Some Time
12. Rainbow Connection, The - (previously unreleased)
13. Only Yesterday
14. Sweet, Sweet Smile
15. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
16. California Dreamin' - (previously unreleased)
17. Solitaire
18. We've Only Just Begun
19. This Masquerade
20. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

DISC 2:
1. Yesterday Once More
2. Please Mr. Postman
3. Hurting Each Other
4. I Need To Be In Love
5. Merry Christmas, Darling
6. Close To You, (They Long To Be)
7. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
8. Sing
9. Make Believe It's Your First Time
10. Ticket To Ride
11. Goodbye To Love
12. I Just Fall In Love Again
13. I Believe You
14. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
15. For All We Know
16. Touch Me When We're Dancing
17. I Won't Last A Day Without You
18. Mr. Guder
19. Song For You, A
20. Karen's Theme

Harry
...who'll be adding more GOLD to his collection, online...

PJ said:
I am disappointed that more As Time Goes By tracks were not included -especially And When He Smiles -which would have avoided the link with the 1976 Hits Medley on ATGB-perhaps Richard will include on next key compilation :?:

I have a funny feeling that "And When He Smiles" could be hung up in some kind copyright hell. The performance was recorded at the BBC, right? I'm guessing that legal entanglements are responsible for this one not being included. No doubt, the BBC would want its share of the profits.

Harry
...with theories, online...

Here is some info on the new 35th anniversary Gold Release...

There are 40 tracks, one previously unreleased track on cd, which is the SINGLE
version of "Solitaire." Richard explains,

This is one of Karen's finest performances, even though, to my amazement,
she was not that taken with the song. This is the single version, available
on cd for the first time. It is most easily differentiated from the album
version by the entrance of the electric guitar 8 bars earlier, leading into
the first chorus, and the addition of a pipe organ in the second half of the
second chorus, the third chorus and the last two bars. The mix is virtually
identical to that on the album. Why I felt these two additions were worth
all the trouble and expense incurred is beyond me now.

Richard also writes:
Thirty five years. In February of 2004, A&M Records will have released this
2 cd compilation, carpenters Gold, to commemorate the thirty five years that
have elapsed since Karen and I were signed to the label, Of course, I am
gratified to know that after all these years our music remains so popular
worldwide and that A&M has requested this new release. What is saddening
and sobering, however, is the realization that we lost Karen twenty years
ago and just how quickly the years can pass; the most recent of Karen's
vocals in this set having been recorded in 1980.

Laura

I am almost too excited about this release. This is the first time that I knew about a Carpenters release before and actually waited until it came out.

I am also surprised that Richard released the single version of Solitaire. 2 days ago I read a thread that mentioned the difference between the single version of solitaire. I got intrigued so I dug out my single of it and I listened to it. I really liked this version better and I wondered why this was never released on a compilation. I'm glad that it is finally released on CD.

Maybe Richard will get the idea that fans really like the single versions and release others on a future release. :D

Thank you very much, Laura, for your information!!

As for "And When He Smiles", I don't think this song was not contained becasue of BBC. I have read that Richard talked about this song. But it was in Japanese. Since "And When He Smiles" was "And When She Smiles" and is a song applauding a woman like the Sun, it doesn't sound match to Karen when she sang as 'he'.
But fans had written letters for asking release of "And When He Smiles" to Richard. So Richard decided to release this song on "as time goes by." However it was a hidden track, wasn't it?

Is it true that Karen had not loved "Solitaire"and compilation albums had not contained this song for a long time? Didn't compilation album have this song before "Interpretations A 25th Anniversayr Celebraion"?

Sakura edited by Sakura, 10:33am, Feb. 2nd, JST

Laura, thanks so much for that reply of Richard's,

Harry, I have the promo mono/stereo 45 of Solitaire, it's quite amazing that mono version. Is this single version that Richard is speaking of above the same promo 45 I have?

..who is deciding to buy yet another Carpenters CD, online...

Thanks for the great news of the single version of "Solitaire" being included on the new Gold. That makes me so very happy! :D
The single is great. That organ adds a dramatic touch. This will surely make this new collection a joy to purchase.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Harry, I have the promo mono/stereo 45 of Solitaire, it's quite amazing that mono version. Is this single version that Richard is speaking of above the same promo 45 I have?

Yes, but I'm reasonably certain that the stereo version of the single will be used here. Hopefully, he's found a way to avoid the HAECO-CSG processing.

Harry
..dreading the return to work today, online...

Interesting that Richard states the last vocals were recorded in 1980. Once and for all I can now feel certain that Your Baby.... was laid down in 1980 and not April of '82, an uncertainty with me for many a year.

Neil

SakuraSYayoi said:
-
-from the article of which link was in my previous message
The two-CD Carpenters Gold – 35th Anniversary Edition (A&M/UTV Records), released February 10, 2004, celebrates their enduring popularity by collecting most of their singles (all 21 Top 40s), many of them in their later remixed versions; numerous popular album cuts, and a few rarities--40 songs in all, each digitally remastered. The package also includes a reminiscence by Richard, who produced the compilation, as well as his recollections about each recording.

If Richard talks about each recording on this new set, I just may have to get this. :cool:

In addiiton, I found this on towerrecords.com site regarding this new release. It says this:

Guest Artists: Hal Blaine; Tom Scott; Ray Parker Jr.

Do they mean that these people helped out on the instrumental tracks? Wasn't Ray Parker Jr a singer a one time? And Tom Scott, I've heard of, He was on Olivia's Physical Tour in 82 he was on stage playing instrument.

Where do these guys fit in on the song list?

EDIT, Oh I see it here: Additional personnel includes: Ray Parker Jr. (guitar); Tom Scott (tenor saxophone); Hal Blaine (drums).

What song would Ray be appearing on?

I believe Ray plays on "All You Get From Love is a Love Song".
Mark

PS- His most famous tune was "Ghostbusters"...

mstaft said:
I believe Ray plays on "All You Get From Love is a Love Song".
Mark

PS- His most famous tune was "Ghostbusters"...

Well, Ray Parker Jr. had a lot of credits as a session guitarist at Motown, during its later years and for other labels. I have him on a Bobby Goldsboro LP, a Bill LaBounty LP and even with Helen Reddy, Harriet Shock and Evie Sands on her SUSPENDED ANIMATION album, and Carl Graves' S/T LP on A&M. And you'll find him on Stevie Wonder's TALKING BOOK album, too. I thought he also played on another track on The Carpenters' PASSAGE album. ("Sweet, Sweet Smile"?)

He had a career as a recording artist, both solo and with his group, Raydio.

Dave

In the flyer today for Best Buy, they are showing the new Carpenters Gold 35th Anniv Edition 2 CD Set for $13.99, it is being shown in the new releases section.

Thought that was a cool advertisement for the Carpenters and that's a pretty good price too. I think I will pick that up on Tues at Best Buy.

I am so glad to see this set marketed correctly. By runing co-op ad's with Best Buy, it means there is an actual promotions budget for this release.
YEAH!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...8424&skuId=6232604&type=product&ref=10&loc=01

Here is the link to there website, there also listed in this weeks specials from the main page. I think that's good promotion.

I noticed that they have "Rainbow Connection", The (from "The Muppet Movie") - (previously unreleased) listed,

Kinda misleading in a way cause it kinda makes you think that this is a version that she actually sang from the movie (tv show) I've never seen it marketed like that, "From the Muppet Movie" LOL

and why do they have Calling Occupants listed as the last track, I thought it was Karen's Theme that was last?

Here is a promo of the 2 CD set

click here

Glad to see this CD is being promoted especially in Best Buy advertisements. Wonder if they will advertise it on cable like they did Love Songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom