New Carpenters collection due 2/10 w/three unreleased tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am much younger than most people on this forum so I can hear a lot of things. The motor noise in the guitar is definitely there but not that strong. The CDs that I am hearing this on is Startrax and Their Greatest Hits. Those are the only 2 CDs that I have that contain the 1985 remix.

I listened to a copy of GOLD,and I'm not that impressed with this new package.The mastering on this new set doesn't compare with the superb mastering job on ESSENTIAL.GOLD was released by a Universal subsidiary,UTV records,and it sounds like they didn't use the original master tapes.(same situation with LOVE SONGS).Also,there's too many of those BAD remixes here,which,again,makes this new set inferior to ESSENTIAL(which has most of the originals).And,the 3 new songs are terrible(boring,cheesy).The liner notes are the same old liner notes that have been rehashed 100 times.On the plus side,the one good thing going for this new set is the price:2 discs/40 songs for about $15.I remember when the 2-CD CLASSICS came out in 1987,they were selling that set(only 27 tracks) for around $27.99.I guess the fair question for those who already have the ESSENTIAL set would be:why would you need GOLD?And for those who don't own ESSENTIAL,they probably already have the 2-CD YESTERDAY ONCE MORE and LOVE SONGS.Bottom line:my recommendations for multi-disc set would be ESSENTIAL or READER'S DIGEST.Single disc set: LOVE SONGS or INTERPRETATIONS

Incidentally,there's a couple of errors in the track info:the 90's remixes of "Rainy Days" and "Yesterday Once More" were used in GOLD,not the 1985 remixes,as stated in the liner notes.

mr J. said:
I guess the fair question for those who already have the ESSENTIAL set would be:why would you need GOLD?

Need it? No.

Want it? Yes. There's something attractive about a reasonably-priced two-CD set of your favorite artists that attempts to offer at least a little somethnig different. Even though I already have the three AS TIME GOES BY tracks, there's something nice about having them included within a standard compilation instead of spread out among a bunch of TV tracks. I certainly don't consider them as 'boring' or 'cheesy'.

The "Solitaire" single mix is a big bonus for me, as someone who collects this stuff, so it alone almost justifies the purchase.

You are right though when you point out that the mastering is not nearly as effective as the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION box set, and that set does capture most of the good stuff in one place.

I think GOLD's place in the order of things is to provide a substantial package at a reasonable price, and with ad dollars, sell a good number of units. That promotional model worked in Engalnd, and I think the object is to make it work here. If it garners any new fans, well, that's a big plus.

Harry
NP: GOLD:35th, Carpenters

This post is actually from leadsister.com and the credit goes to Sakura.

When I went to amazon.jp. yesterday, 35th Gold was at #32.
And it is #2 on pop chart now.
It is #299 on amazon(U.S.) chart now.
Sakura

As we await further chart news, here's another comparison of the new GOLD CD, this time with its UK predecessor from 2000. That release was a single CD with 20 tracks. Those common tracks are in an orange color, and the added tracks for the new release are in the standard color:

DISC 1:
1. Superstar
2. Rainy Days And Mondays
3. Top Of The World
4. Maybe It's You
5. Let Me Be The One
6. Reason To Believe
7. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
8. Leave Yesterday Behind - (previously unreleased)
9. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
10. Bless The Beasts And Children
11. It's Going To Take Some Time
12. Rainbow Connection, The - (previously unreleased)
13. Only Yesterday
14. Sweet, Sweet Smile
15. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
16. California Dreamin' - (previously unreleased)
17. Solitaire
18. We've Only Just Begun
19. This Masquerade
20. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

DISC 2:
1. Yesterday Once More
2. Please Mr. Postman
3. Hurting Each Other
4. I Need To Be In Love
5. Merry Christmas, Darling
6. Close To You, (They Long To Be)
7. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
8. Sing
9. Make Believe It's Your First Time
10. Ticket To Ride
11. Goodbye To Love
12. I Just Fall In Love Again
13. I Believe You
14. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
15. For All We Know
16. Touch Me When We're Dancing
17. I Won't Last A Day Without You
18. Mr. Guder
19. Song For You, A
20. Karen's Theme

Of course an asterisk would have to be added to "Solitaire", for while it does appear on both GOLD releases, the newest one features the exclusive single mix.

Harry
...with a bit of Sunday morning analysis, online...

All in all, I think this release is rather nice. It appears that the fans comments over the years have counted when viewing the list and hearing the balance of mix/remix in comparison to earlier compilations. I listened to it yesterday and I am pleased with the sound and mixes. My only complaint is Top of the World. I really hate this remix and wish the '73 version was left alone. And, though I agree with a Singles release, I really like this compilation over most others.

Craig

"Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition" was #22 on amazon.jp chart yesterday and today and
#1 on amazon.jp pop chart now.

This CD has not been on Carpenters websites nor Carpenters Forums in Japan which I see. Today I found first message about this Gold on Carpenters Forum in Japan. I hope new Carpenters fans in Japan got this CD.

Sakura

That is great news for Japan. Thanks Sukura. I always love your insight. Too bad it didn't do as well over here. :)

Yay! That's a pretty impressive sales ranking at Amazon.com! It's in good company too. Also in the top 20 are Norah Jones, Josh Groban, Harry Connick Jr., Sarah McLachlan, etc. Looks like great vocalists are doing very well this month.

I saw the commercial tonight for the 1st time. I was a great promotion using alot of there video footage throughout the years, Was great to see the clip from the song, 'From this moment on" from outake of MMM Special, loved that!!!

My only gripe is I want that poster, I wish best buy had done a promotion like that. Oh well what can I say I'm a collector.

Anyone here get that poster from the info-commercial?

Why buy a poster when you can make your own? Now you can take you favorite LP cover down to a graphics shop and have it blown up. They have filters to reduce graint and correct tears and stuff. I plan to do that to some of mine.

raz42289 said:
Why buy a poster when you can make your own? Now you can take you favorite LP cover down to a graphics shop and have it blown up. They have filters to reduce graint and correct tears and stuff. I plan to do that to some of mine.

Sure, and why buy the CD when you can make your own? Why spend money for anything that you could just copy illegally? It's much easier that way.

engineer said:
raz42289 said:

Sure, and why buy the CD when you can make your own? Why spend money for anything that you could just copy illegally? It's much easier that way.

Geez, lighten up man! How can making a poster (or T-shirt, etc.) from an album cover that you own, for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE possibly be illegal :?: :confused: Now, if you were to sell, or even give away a copy to someone else, THEN we'd be talking copyright infringement.

BTW, in Canada, it's legal for us to make copies of commercial CDs for personal use. In exchange for having this right, we pay a levy on each blank CD-R, and this money goes to the Canadian Recording Association, to be split among record companies and recording artists.

Murray

you know I have noticed something. Every time engineer makes a comment on my relpy it is negative! please stop doing this. I think you should have a right to express your opinion but negative everytime, come on.

I stopped in at my favorite record store today, with the intention of picking up a copy of Gold. This store has a huge selection, and normally stocks all the new releases. I checked out both the new release rack, and the regular Carpenters section, and they didn't have a copy. The manager checked his computer, and informed me that this title was only available as an import from the USA. They hadn't received any yet, but I was told that it would be priced higher than if it had been a domestic release. I very likely won't seek out a copy now, as I don't think that the single mix of Solitaire alone justifies paying the import price.

At least I didn't walk away empty handed. They had Kylie Minogue's new CD "Body Language" on sale, and the manager gave me a copy of Kylie's 2004 official calendar for free! :D

Murray
NP, Kylie Minogue - "Red Blooded Woman"

Your the second Canadian I've heard from with essentially the same story. A few days ago I heard from Gordo (from Ran's old board) who said he couldn't find the new GOLD up there in Canada either. Sounds like you guys need to make a border run just 'south of the border'.

Harry
...TGIF, online...

Success! I've finally convinced the program director of our AM station to play "The Rainbow Connection" by Carpenters. So, here I am typing this as Karen sings it on the radio. I'm pretty sure he's going to add it to the regular rotation!

Harry
...doing what little he can, online...

Great job Harry! Is there any way that fans at the local level can have such an impact? In other words, do letters or telephone calls to local radio stations help?

Tony

Glad to hear that. I wonder what people will react to hear the song coming from the radio. A lot of people shouldn't know that the Carpenters recorded it and I'm excited to imagine somebody from our generation may happen to hear it and find themselves singing along. Maybe younger generation will find it comfortable to hear and call the radio station to play it again. I wish I could be in the U.S. to experience that myself! Richard will sure be thankful to you for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom