New Carpenters collection due 2/10 w/three unreleased tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Chris, for the info about Best Buy. I just pre-ordered it online for $14.83 (includes tax). Shipping was FREE. When I read that Richard did the liner notes (thanks, Sakura), I HAD to have it!!

Marilyn,
anxiously awaiting delivery ... :D

Gee, what a difference in Best Buy. When "Carpenters perform Carpenter" came out, they did not even stock it for weeks.

I went to two different Best Buy stores and both said it was not available at the retail store, only online. It's so nice to see the promotional push working again.

I was suprised at the price to at best buy, for 2 cd's at around $14.00, thats only about $7.00 a cd, cool price for a new release.

...with plans to head to Best Buy tomorrow...

For anyone that didn't see the ad in the Sunday paper:

152054_b.JPG

Carpenters release is down at the bottom.

Harry
...cutting and pasting, online...

COOL HARRY!!

Great to see a Carpenters CD cover listed with other top artists of today. I bet there are some Nora Jones fans that could be Carpenters fans, so this is good marketing.

Also for those that don't get a weekly paper, this same advertisement is listed on their website, just go to weekly specials. :cool:

thestitch said:
When I read that Richard did the liner notes (thanks, Sakura), I HAD to have it!!

Marilyn,
anxiously awaiting delivery ... :D
You are welcome, Marilyn.

The booklet of 35th GOLD has liner notes by Richard (4 pages) +
EACH SONG has credit and liner note by Richard!! (15 pages)

Thank you, Harry, for the picture of the ad in the Sunday paper!

You should get the CD's, everyone!

Sakura

I picked up the new disc set this morning. The outer sticker proclaims "AS SEEN ON TV", so that's a pretty good indication that there will some television advertising support.

The discs themselves have reverse color schemes - disc one is gold and white print on a black background, disc two has black and white text on a gold background. Very classy looking for a 'budget' priced set.

Like the UK GOLD package, the inside insert promotes all of the main studio albums including, curiously, AS TIME GOES BY. No doubt the average fan who isn't aware of that album might be confused.

The booklet is similar to the UK Gold booklet in style. Glossy pages with gold backgrounds start off with the 'essay' portion, this time written by Richard himself. (UK GOLD has notes by John Tobler). Then the track by track annotation follows with a complimentary tan-colored scheme. There are three full-page pictures in the booklet - nothing we haven't seen before.

One item NOT included that came with the UK GOLD - a slipcase. Though really, it's not needed.

Sonically, all sounds fine on an early skimming through the tracks. The 'new' songs sound good in the context of the others. My only disappointment is the inclusion of the remix of "It's Going To Take Some Time" - I truly dislike that new piano part. It's just not right!

Harry
...more later, online...

Here's the rundown of which mixes were used in GOLD: 35th:

DISC 1:
1. Superstar (add'l recording in 1985, remixed in 1991)
2. Rainy Days And Mondays (1985 remix)
3. Top Of The World (1991 remix)
4. Maybe It's You (add'l recording and remixed in 1990)
5. Let Me Be The One (original)
6. Reason To Believe (1987 remix)
7. Jambalaya (On The Bayou) (1991 Remix)
8. Leave Yesterday Behind - (previously unreleased)
9. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (original)
10. Bless The Beasts And Children (1991 remix)
11. It's Going To Take Some Time (add'l recording and remix in 1989)
12. Rainbow Connection, The - (previously unreleased)
13. Only Yesterday (original)
14. Sweet, Sweet Smile (original)
15. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World) (1985 with some synth parts removed)
16. California Dreamin' - (previously unreleased)
17. Solitaire (original single mix)
18. We've Only Just Begun (1985 remix)
19. This Masquerade (1990 remix)
20. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (1989 remix)

DISC 2:
1. Yesterday Once More (1985 remix)
2. Please Mr. Postman (1991 remix)
3. Hurting Each Other (1991 remix)
4. I Need To Be In Love (1990 remix)
5. Merry Christmas, Darling (1978 version)
6. Close To You, (They Long To Be) (original single version)
7. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (original)
8. Sing (1994 remix)
9. Make Believe It's Your First Time (original)
10. Ticket To Ride (1973 re-record)
11. Goodbye To Love (add'l recording/1985 remix)
12. I Just Fall In Love Again (original)
13. I Believe You (original)
14. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again (original)
15. For All We Know (add'l recording/remix 1990)
16. Touch Me When We're Dancing (original)
17. I Won't Last A Day Without You (1991 remix)
18. Mr. Guder (1990 remix)
19. Song For You, A (add'l recording and remix in 1987)
20. Karen's Theme (original)

Harry
NP: GOLD, Carpenters

I have to say that upon first listen CarpenterS Gold is a triumph! I know the liner notes indicate when the remixes took place...yet many of these represented here are "new" to me. Very obviously, Karen's lead vocal sounds up front and center as tho she were in the room. Listen to Bless the Beasts...Also, the over-dubs thru-out sound more pronounced and I'm able to hear more of the intricate harmonies...say in Mr. Postman. Overall it was a great listening experience and it appears as if this compilation will be a hit!

Awaiting U.S. AS TIME GOES BY,

Jeff

Well I just got home from visiting Best Buy. First let me say that Best Buy has a huge amount of these Cd's They were in the "new releases" section about 25 and then I went over to the C section & there were about 30 more in there respective section. They also had alot of the remastered classics there too. I comend Best Buy for doing this.

Like Harry said I noticed it has the tv sticker also on the back of the CD it says UTV Records. (What does that mean) That there will be a promo clip on tv?

I have the Cd in my hand but have not played it yet. I have looked at the booklet though. I quickly glanced at the remarks by Richard on the tracks. Soooo much is new to me. I did not know that Your Baby doesn't love you was a "work lead" from 1980.

There is also alot of added stuff on Richards Notes, like on Calif Dreaming, he adds that there is electronic noise on the lead track, we don't know why and there are in correct words used, interesting.

Also please please someone explain to me what Richard is talking about on the last track, Karen's Theme. Is Richard saying that he regret's making The Karen Carpenter Story with Cynthia Gibb as Karen? What does he mean creative license & biopics, dubious name???

Richard admits that his participation in The Karen Carpenter Story was a mistake. The creators of that movie took license to make the story more "Hollywood" by altering the facts to suit their version of the story. I'm sure that Agnes Carpenter was not quite as she was depicted in that movie, and Richard probably feels that people have gotten some mistaken impressions, viewing the movie as reality. His participation lended the movie credibility.

'Biopics' is a shortened 'Hollywood' term for biographical picture. Most of these lately tend to alter the facts in order to tell a more compelling story. The problem is that some people tend to think they are viewing actual facts.

Harry
NP: Carpenters, GOLD: 35th

Is this the first time that Richard has documented this is writing that he regrets his participation in this movie?

I remember the first time I saw the movie, Richard had a clip at the very end where he talked about getting help if you have anorexia. But every time they showed it later I never saw that clip again.

..with Treasures on route to me from Japan, yippee,, online....

This is turning out to be a great year for Carpenters, I have the box set, this new release w Solitaire single on cd & now waiting for Treasures to arrive. :) :) :)

Harry said:
Here's the rundown of which mixes were used in GOLD: 35th:

DISC 2:
11. Goodbye To Love (add'l recording/1985 remix)
Harry
NP: GOLD, Carpenters

Harry, I hate to break it to you but you made a mistake. Even though the books states remixed in 1985 it was actually remixed in 1991. The 1985 remix has a weaker piano, alternate vocal leads, and what almost sounds like a weed wacker motor in the guitar parts.

I would also like to add that Richard used the poor remix of Hurting Each Other. There is so much tape hiss in this remix it is unbelieveable. Why didn't Richard use the 1990 remix. They are identical except for EQ levels and that horrible tape hiss. I can even hear the tape hiss over the cheap speaker in the car :!:

If memory serves me correctly (or I am too lazy to get off my @&& and look), Richard wrote that participation in the Movie of the Week was mistake in the liner notes from Essential Collection. In fact, I really found little "new" takes on songs in the liner notes as MANY comments read almost verbatim from other CD Compilations (and Lovelines). Richard's biographical account on the first few pages of the booklet are great, however. Nice to have RICHARD write the into for a change rather than hire some writer/critic to provide the commentary.

Also, if they DO promote this on TV, it will be a phenominal success! It is a very definitive collection for those fans who just want a little more than the hits, but not the entire catalogue. I figure if Christy Lane can make $$ playing her commercials ad-nausium (nothing against Christy Lane, mind you), the Carpenters CD will sell quite well.

Harry said:
My only disappointment is the inclusion of the remix of "It's Going To Take Some Time" - I truly dislike that new piano part. It's just not right!

Harry, I totally agree, that remix with the piano is not right, it's almost like there is a lag in the piano which makes the song seem dreary almost.

After listening to this, I then pulled out my Mono Promo of It's Going to Take Some Time & wow the mono is 200% better. I love the original piano & nothing can replace this promo 45 and to make it even better Karen is much more upfront vocally on the mono 45.

Yes, when I first started posting I hardly new anything about the Carpenters or music in general. I'm surprised nobody made any mean comments. :D I've learned a lot and I thank all of you for it

Just finished listening to and looking at GOLD. Some quick thoughts, IMHO:
NICE packaging- real nice...
"Occupants" and "Merry Christmas Darling", "Guder" and "Karen's Theme" seem out of place.
"Begun" stands the test of time. Again.
Nice to have the single version of "Solitaire".
I appreciate the liner notes and intro by Richard. He is quite a good writer. PLEASE do an autobiography!
I still love "Hush", regardless of his feelings. Maybe he'd feel better if it had been just an album cut.
In general, the originals are better than the remixes...
"Ordinary Fool" would have fit in great after "Rainy Days"- its the classic from "Singles 1979-1983", elegant like "Masquerade", heartbreaking like "Rainy Days"
A "Country Collection" is in order.
Maybe I WILL buy "Plays Carpenter"...
Can't wait for Richard's Christmas album!!!

Mark

I'm still curious about this new Solitaire Single being released on CD for the first time.

If Richard had this all this time, where is he keeping these original versions? Are they being stored on reel tape somewhere? At his home? In the studio?

Also if he has this version, then he MUST have other original versions that he is holding on to, right? Just my guess, I could be wrong too.

But if he has had this, then could he possibly have other great original versions, like Merry Christmas Darling or Santa Claus is Coming to Town?

Richard doesn't say that he just stumbled upon this original Solitaire version like so many other rare tracks he's found lately.

I am still torn about all these remixes, some I really like & some I yearn for the original versions.

I am weird in a way. On some songs I like the remixes better, on some I like the original, on some the single versions, and some the original vinyl mixes. It just depends :D

Today in THE OREGONIAN newspaper with a circulation of 350,000 ( I know cuz I work there) There was a list of the top 10 releases for the week and CarpenterS were right smack dab where they belonged! Happy to see the group's name in print. I think that this collection is gonna catch on like wildfire. Karen may be long gone, but obviously here in Portland she's alive and well!

Hoping for multi-platinum,

Jeff

Regarding "Goodbye to Love" remixes:

raz42289 said:
I hate to break it to you but you made a mistake. Even though the books states remixed in 1985 it was actually remixed in 1991. The 1985 remix has a weaker piano, alternate vocal leads, and what almost sounds like a weed wacker motor in the guitar parts.

However, the 1991 remix of "Goodbye to Love" does not have Karen's inhalation before she starts to sing -- the 1985 remix *does* contain this, just as the version on GOLD does. I don't hear anything that sounds vaguely like a weed wacker motor, either...

Does your mom mind when you play this stuff so loudly in the car? <smile>

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom