Other MALE Singers

Mike (Rutherford) + The Mechanics (with the other late singer Paul Young who died of a heartattack back in July 15, 2000 at 53 years old) "You Are The One" (from the late 1985 self-titled album) This song should have been the 4th & final single but Atlantic Records decided not to release it.

Good stuff @AM Matt...

Here's the great Jim Croce with one of his best songs, with those celebrated clever lyrics (...she's living in L.A. with my old ex-friend Ray, a guy she said she sometimes hated...)

Mike (Rutherford) + The Mechanics (with the other late singer Paul Young who died of a heartattack back in July 15, 2000 at 53 years old) "You Are The One" (from the late 1985 self-titled album) This song should have been the 4th & final single but Atlantic Records decided not to release it.

The Living Years is perhaps one of the greatest records ever.

He's not known for being a vocalist, but David Foster did a pretty nice duet with Olivia. She's singing in a very intimate way, which I speculate was influenced by Karen. David is one of my all-time favorite producers and I enjoy pretty much all of his work.

David has a good voice and it synced well with Olivia's - pretty song - the video really didn't need to show anyone or anything other than them...

The late Roger Whittaker "The First Hello, The Last Goodbye" which almost sounds like the late Charlie Rich 1973 classic "Behind Closed Doors"!!

I never heard George Michael reference Karen or Richard, but i'd be very surprised if he did not admire their work. His own very mellow, restrained, intimate delivery often puts me in mind of Karen. I can so hear Karen singing this one (in a lower, richer key) ....

Vic Damone is the guy who Frank Sinatra said "has the best pipes in the business"...here are some reasons why:

David Gates and Bread was a big favorite of mine as well. Such a calming, and touching voice. Great topic, John.
Another male singer that has meant a lot to me is Engelbert Humperdinck. It was nice to read in an interview from recent years that his favorite female singer is Karen Carpenter. So besides having a smooth, phenomenal voice, he's got great taste as well. :)

This was the first song I ever heard by Engelbert and I really liked it. I have a number of his lp's on Parrot Records but I truly got tired of After The Lovin' as it was very overplayed.
Overall, there are so many male artists that I have liked over the years from crooners to country and rock that it is hard to choose whom to mention since several have already been listed.

The Edgar Winter Group (with the late Dan Hartman of 1984 "I Can Dream About You") "Autumn" (from 1972 "They Only Come Out At Night"). (album track) This song should have been released as a Epic Records 45 single!!

Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues is one of my favorites.

For "autumn", I always think of a song where Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues did the lead on the Jeff Wayne's WAR OF THE WORLDS album. The album weaves the story of the invasion from Mars as narrated by Richard Burton. On the album, Burton's narration interrupts the song in the middle, and one of Jeff Wayne's instrumental interludes appears before the song concludes with more narration.

Columbia released a 12" and 7" single of the song which eliminated a bit of the middle narration, but I never liked the rest of the edit. Back in the day, I liked this song so much that I took to my trusty reel-to-reel recorder and my cassette recorder and set about doing my own version. It clocked in longer than the Columbia edit, but I wasn't doing this for radio, but for my own enjoyment.

I was able to utilize a part of the song that Columbia didn't, so it's a unique edit. I attempted to recreate my old edit using modern digital tools, and though I put it up on YouTube, I still hear a couple of ugly edit points.

Boz Scaggs again - his biggest hit, called "Lowdown", live in 2004 from San Francisco...

Besides Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees" album, I also liked the 1994 album "Some Change" (complete 10 songs) (audio only)

Back
Top Bottom