1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Solo Album and Single Success

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by newvillefan, Sep 13, 2017.

1. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I like Nevillefan’s approach. In my personal list I even remove Remember When Lovin Took All Night and Still In Love With You. And add one more, the Bonus: Last One Singing the Blues. For the sake of the album balance I guess I would add back Still In Love With You or even take away Lovelines and have 5 songs on each side, but that takes the two songs away from the album needed for balance. It’s nice to have fans who like them all. It means that this album did have strength and with the right marketing it really could have had a good chance to sell well if released in 1979 or 1980. Karen did not have to be a power singer. She was an interpretative singer who focused on the song and used her exquisite tone as a guide for interpretation. I honestly feel it was past time for Karen to have a solo emphasis. It should have happened in 1977. Come together with Rich for the Christmas album then back to solo.

2. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Evie Sands' version of LMLTY is the best, IMHO. It has a crisp Dennis Lambert/Brian Potter production -- those guys were at the top of their game in those days.

3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

If Coleman's Biography is to be believed....then, I fail to see how Karen's album would not have been profitable.
    Let us read Coleman:
    "Made In America..."was a remarkably powerful album." (page 287)
    "MIA...joined the long list of records that were very profitable, both for A&M and for the Carpenters." (page 289).

Had the proper choice of songs been made, I fail to comprehend how the solo album
    would not have been "very profitable" ALSO.

4. CraigGA

I just listened to it and it is more graphic in description but Karen’s version has a catchier feel without the explicit nature spelled out.

Misael Castillo Lopez likes this.
  5. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the great responses all, it’s fun to play around with the tracks and see what difference it could have made :righton:

Six tracks each side to balance it out evenly - it should have been ok on vinyl.

I agree and I’ve said as much myself elsewhere on this forum. I included it in the context of it having been finished off and polished up with a complete arrangement. I think it’s a strong song and could have been even better with a solo instrumental and if they’d done something to improve the meandering last minute and a half.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    jaredjohnfisher likes this.
  6. CraigGA

I don’t like Cher’s version at all and wonder why she even recorded it. I could only listen to half of it before I could stomach no more. Karen, on the other hand, turns it into a song with purpose.

7. I heard David Gates' 1980 solo album tonight. He was quite a bit out of character (including a sexier image); trying new sounds and lyrical themes that were more grown up, with a bit more of a rock edge to the music (for him) and some disco. It didn't fare too well on the charts. I think Karen's solo album mirrored it in some ways; after all, they both started out as the lead singer in a popular soft rock group (though it was his fourth solo effort).
    I think Karen's album might have done as well as Maureen McGovern's 1979 album; which also showcased a new sexier image, sounds and styles (including some disco). The album and singles didn't chart very high.
    Helen Reddy (who also had had her run of hits) did a full blown disco album in '79. It didn't do well.
    These are just examples of "peer comparisons" that come to mind from the '79/'80 timeframe.

8. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

Evie's also doesn't have Rod Temperton's vocal arrangement. That makes the tune.

Ed

Misael Castillo Lopez likes this.
  9. Whenever I read this dedication my heart tightens, I think that phrase says it all, do not you think?
    "Dedicated to my brother Richard, with all my heart"

[​IMG]
    Then I see the photos of his album, and I think ... what a real laugh he had when recording this ...:cry: