• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

Forgot about America's "Moon Song" (from 1972 "Homecoming") in which at the end of the song, the singers go backward. When it plays forward, they said ".... about a free country" or something like that. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

When I bought Rhino's remix versions of The Doors "The Future Starts Here", the song "Love Her Madly" has 20 more seconds & Jim says at the end of the song, "Love her....love her....love her...." & that's it. The song "Hello, I Love You" which adds 20 more seconds, Jim yells "Aaaaahhhhhhhh, hello, hello, hello" & that's it. Does anyone have the Rhino set or the 6 Doors studio albums that have those remixes?? In the middle of "Break On Through (To The Other Side)", Jim says "She gets high" 4 times instead of "She get". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The last song, Side 2 of Richard Harris's My Boy, "This Is The Way": There is a "false ending" of the song, which briefly starts up again & the rhythm section breaks into a jam, the orchestra wails off into a crescendo & some female back-up singers sing a few lyrics for the last few seconds, as the song fades... (Almost as though something else is starting...! Remember dreaming images of this, when I fell asleep to this record playing just before it was time to get up!)

The Mason Williams Phonograph Record ends w/ the sound of a door closing (And I think the album begins w/ the sound of a door opening)...

But one of the most famous "coda's" of them all is at the end of The Beatles "A Day In The Life": The ending had been recorded separately from the rest of the song and the faders had to be increased... Which then, as a result recording the hissing of the air conditioning vents got recorded along with it... (& Somehow with the many copies of that song done, no one else seemed to have recorded their version in that manner, or approximated that same "ending" in that "essence"...)

Well, I sang it at work & someone banged a piece of metal right at that 'approximated moment' & it even had the right pitch, too! :laugh:

Dave

Three Dog Night "Hard Labor" (1974) has someone knocking & then the door opens while "Prelude" (The Show Must Go On) starts. The song "The Show Must Go On" which goes slowly at the end & then the door closes. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The late Rick Nelson And The Stone Canyon Band "Garden Party" album (1972), the song "So Long Mama" opens with the door open & at the end of the song, the door closes shut. On the Decca single 45 of "Garden Party" on the 45 flip side, there is a mistake at the beginning of the song "So Long Mama" because you have to start the needle at the beginning of the straight curve & then you hear the door open. :o Then 5 seconds, the guitars start. Did anyone have the Decca single back in 1972?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

At the end of the song "I Been Hoodood" by Dr. John (from 1973 "In The Right Place") (also the 45 flip side of "Right Place, Wrong Time"), Dr. John yells out "CRAZY"!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

At the end of Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night", there are "subjective" French lines spoken by a woman (said to be Stewart's girlfriend, Britt Ecklund) at the end of the song (which radio stations often leave off, though I've heard from some source, it's "Take out the garbage", or something like that)...

Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean", Robert Plant sings "Oh, so good!" at the end...

Dave

When 96 WHNN (win) played Rod Stewart "Tonight's The Night" during the Top 96 Songs Of 1977, Loosein' Jay (the DJ) said "Told her once a thousand times SPEAK ENGLISH" (laughs) at the end of that song!! :laugh: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

At the end of John Lennon's "Watching The Wheels", there is the sound of someone walking, then the sound of him closing a door...

So a DJ on the radio once "asked" during that ending passage: "Hey, there...! Uh, would you mind closing the door? Thank you...!"

Dave

I remember having the A&M 45 of "Muskrat Love", and being intrigued that the steps or whatever the heck they are of the muskrats continuing over the "return" part of the disc, quitting at the edge of the label. forgive me...I don't remember what they called that part of a vinyl...

Today, or at least when they performed (they're retired now), Daryl Dragon has replaced the muskrat footsteps with a few gunshots.

Carole Bayer Sager ...too, Carole Bayer Sager's 2nd album: "It Doesn't Add Up", where the little girl at the end, is singing; counting numbers & ends the song by saying: "It seems easy to me, Carole!"

The most interesting track on that album is "It's The Falling In Love", which Michael Jackson would later do on his album Off The Wall, but here features a great vocal by Michael McDonald, in an almost-duet fashion w/ Ms. Bayer-Sager...

Dave

On Traffic "When The Eagle Flies" (1974 & their swan song until 1994 "Far From Home"), the title track at the end pulls the plug at the 4:20 mark which ends the CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Pink Floyd's Roger Waters "Radio K.A.O.S." (from 1987), the song "The Tide Is Turning" at the end of the CD, the beeps are heard which ends the CD. You might hear former DJ talk radio man & "Interview" host Jim Ladd say "This" at the end when I heard it on the headphones because Jim is the announcer on his CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Tommy Roe "Brush A Little Sunshine", from We Can Make Music: He sings out "Listen to me, baby!"...

We Can Make Music is also Roe's home of "(They Long To Be) Close To You", sung in a dank melancholy way... Wonder if there was ever a version where the end would get upbeat & at the end, really start to swing...?

Dave

OK, here's The Alan Parson's Project's "Time", from The Turn Of A Friendly Card: A "vacuum sound" is heard at the end of the song (and I was helping fix a computer CPU for someone who asked if "it was the sound of it going on, or "was that, "the song on the radio"...") followed by Eric Woofson singing "Forevermore..."

Dave

It took a lot of listenings for me to realize that there is a Vibra-Slap heard at the final coda of Supertramp's "Give A Little Bit"...

And a few years ago I was in a dressing room at a clothing store, where Todd Rundren's "Hello It's Me" was playing when I finally realized after then-thirty-years since it came out & I first heard it, that it has a vibra-slap at the climax, too... And I knew for years when the song does end, that there's a voice saying "There goes Todd!" and Todd goes "Yikes!"...

(Unless you buy it on a '45', then you're robbed of the cacophony of horns & the endless verses of "Think of meeeee'eeeeee" that conclude the song...! --Which I did at first...!) :mad:

And I really wonder why those two songs really even needed a vibra-slap put there? I think they might'a sounded OK, without...! Seeing as how that percussion is pretty "muffled"... :confused: :wink:

Dave

On Chicago "III" (from early 1971), the song "I Don't Want Your Money", someone is farting at the end of side 1!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

"Wildflower" by Skylark: An "ascension" of the string section, at the end of song, as it fades...

Dave

Atlanta Rhythm Section "Hitchhiker's Hero", from A Rock 'N' Roll Alternative: Lead singer Buddy Buie says "Stick it at you!" at the end (referring to the hitchhiker's thumb (stuck in the wind)...)

Songs like "Large Time" and "Champagne Jam" and other songs the ARS would later do (& I'm sure did before this one; I've only had Rock 'N' Roll Alternative and Champagne, done by these guys as well as compilation or two--one a budget line comp. bought at a gas station rest stop & the other a more definitve set though I don't think either had "Another Man's Woman" (the old version or new one done w/ a bass solo) and the more filled-out one at least had the new version of "Spooky", formerly donw when they were Classics IV) I'm sure ad-lib'd in one way, or another, at the end--in fact their Nationwide #1 hit, "So Into You", even does (to the extreme!) at the end, as it fades away, too...!!!!

Dave

King Crimson's Islands album, ending w/ the title-track & some dialog of Robert Fripp saying "We'll do it again, once with and once without the oboe...", and some impromptu playing by the group, before the record ends...

Also listen to Ringo Starr's "Spooky Weirdness" at the end of Ringo's Rotogravure, which is a whole cut of 'strange sounds, ending the LP'...

Dave

Atlanta Rhythm Section "Large Time" (from 1978 "Champagne Jam"), the lead singer says "That's all" at the end!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

On Earth, Wind & Fire "Saturday Nite" (from 1976 "Spirit") when the song is nearly done, we hear men going into a bar & the man says "Basically i'd find that everything out of this world is perfect, so I did it back in '64 (then a man farts) & the man says "do I hear a belt you mind if I take it.....you must be able too", then another man yells out "back off man" & the man says "oh excuse yourself away from here......""I say yea, yea, dignify......." then he says "Oh I smell something & the other man is laughing (ha, ha, ha, ha) I smell something else I don't know after all" ahh huh, & the other man says "And I'm not going to get down the wreck with it" & the other man is laughing again (ha, ha, ha, ha) while the other men are clapping & then another man says "close your eyes" while another man says "I said" & that's it. The 45 single version does NOT have it though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The album version of Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" segues right into another song, a jam called "Get Away", closer to the older horn-driven Chicago sound...

Most radio stations, at the time, didn't play the entire album track, usually cutting it off right at the end of "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" before it segues into "Get Away"...

Though I remember when a few radio stations DID play the longer version with "Get Away", and the first time I heard it was at camp when we had the radio on to fall asleep to... We had the radio on a soft rock station & I heard a "Shhhhh!" when I tried to sing along to it--and then right at the end came that JAM!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom