• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

"Lighten up, lighten up, (Hey, Hey Mama) lighten up, lighten up.....lighten up baby i'm in love with you, lighten up baby i'm in love with you (The Ocean), (Custard Pie), Hey, Hey Mama (Black Dog), (Whole Lotta Love), (Custard Pie), (The Ocean).......LIGHTEN UP!!!" Robert Plant "Tall Cool One" (from 1988 "Now And Zen"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I've made a mistake on Led Zeppelin's "In My Time Of Dying" (from 1975 "Physical Graffiti") which it says: "Achoo, achoo, achoo, achoo" (Cough) Studio chatter: "That's gonna be the one 'asn't it?" "Come have a listen, then oh yes, thank you". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Wow, now there's someone who is into "A whole lotta" Led Zeppelin!!!! :laugh:

At the end of Roberta Flack's "After You" from her Blue Lights In The Basement album (an ineffectual follow-up to her Feel Like Makin' Love LP): The sound of a rain shower (and I think someone whistling)...

The song segues into "I'd Like To Be Baby To You", which I believe, from the clanking of glasses & dishes (which may be over-dubbed) that it's supposed to have been done in a "supper club" setting, of which I'd long been wondering about the connection of R&B artists w/ "the supper club circuit", whereas that was the first time I'd heard an example of it...

Here, however, are a few tid-bits, from Wikipedia, just in my search for a general definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper_club :whistle: :winkgrin:

Dave

Paul McCartney & Wings "Let 'Em In": The drumming & flute at the end of the song fade off (while a muted voice in the background depicts "someone outside"????), just for the flute to "shout back" a few notes, concluding the song...

Dave

On Level 42 "Lessons In Love" (from 1987 "Running In The Family") (Polydor), lead singer Mark King says "Good God" at the end of the song!!

The song "Please Me" by Grand Funk (from 1974 "Shinin' On") while the song fades, then you have to turn up the volume in the headphones & Mark Farner says "& suck it!". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Jimmie Rodgers "What Will They Do When They're Gone", he sings a different line about "Danny Martin who lived across the street": First, "He had curly hair & big dark eyes, what a pretty boy was Danny"..., then, at the end of the song: "Now he's gone...!", reflecting the sad thing that happened to him, narrated in the course of the song, among the other vingettes, such as "Little Suzie Johnson, whom her parents never stay up for her", which begins & ends the song; it seems to re-create itself, with the plot starting over at the end...

("Honey" and "In The Ghetto" are also such songs, among others...)

-- Dave

Perhaps one of the most "notable special-effects endings" should be the "rainstorm" at the end of The Cascades "Rhythm Of The Rain" (of which the song begins w/ the crash of thunder & brief rain falling, much like the beginning of "Rain Storm", a later song sung in the '70's by Frankie Valli)...

-- Dave

More on Pat Bone Departure from 1969 I'd recently bought:

As I'd pointed out in another thread, the album ends w/ a song called "Friends" which ends w/ some riff-raff rambling & Pat sounding like he'd been singing another song, right at the end of it & it turns out the cacophony of chatter & banter is nothing more than Pat singing bits of his earlier hit songs "Friendly Persuasion" and "Why, Baby, Why?" in a different register, as well as "Why don't you come home Eldridge Cleaver?", (to the tune of "Why don't you come home, Speedy Gonzalez", in reference to that earlier song...

And there's still him shouting "Bah-yyyy!", followed by a shutting of a door (Like how B.J. Thomas's Billy Joe Thomas ends w/ a door shutting, there, too!)

-- Dave

The end of James Gang's Yer Album, Side 1 & Side 2:

After the last song on Side 1, the remake of The Yardbirds' "Lost Woman" finishes, "Turn Me Over", is spoken--and repeated over & over on the matrix run-off of LP copies played on turntables w/o "Auto-Return"...! :laugh:

After the last song on Side 2, "Stop" finishes, "Play Me Again", is spoken--and repeated over & over on the matrix run-off of LP copies played on turntables w/o "Auto-Return"...! :laugh:

Dave

Of which the last song on Side 2 of actor David Carridine's Lost And Found LP, "Neutron Bomb" (the successor to his I'm Easy LP) you can hear the Hmmmmmmmmm, of that "bomb" before the needle lifts off, unless you play it w/ a manual turntable; then it would hum, until--, --which I wish I'd did...!

-- Dave

Eating my fatback w/ collard greens ("the meat from the pork is sweet...") reminded me of this one:

Terry Jack's non-LP '45' "Put The Bone In", (which was also covered by Soul Asylum on their 2009 album, Hang Time) an often B-Side to Jacks' "Seasons In The Sun"...

"Oh, no!!!!", Terry mutters out at the end...

-- Dave

'One Eyed Jack', final song on Side 1 of Rick Derringer's Sweet Evil (done as Derringer, featuring his band: Kenny Aaronson, Vinnie Appice & Danny Johnson): There's a "clap" sound right at the end of the song, that I wonder if it's the sound of the needle on "flawed" vinyl, approaching the end of the end-groove right at the record label, (only plays once on turntables w/ automatic tone-arms, right before the needle's automatically lifting off & on manual ones, the sound is repeated until the needle is manually lifted off) or if that sound is really meant to be there...?!

-- Dave

Here's one hopefully not yet mentioned: Gilbert O'Sullivan 'Claire' on which the real 'Claire' is producer Gordon Mills' daughter, heard giggling at the end (And the harmonica heard during the song is him)...!

Ray Conniff did a remake of 'Claire' (as the Ray Conniff Singers w/ his vocal group doing the singing) w/ his daughter Tamara giggling at the end of his version, and both versions end w/ Gilbert & Ray saying "Oh, Claire!"...

Whereas Percy's Faith's cover is an instrumental just has a chorus of female singers singing "Claire" at the end; the album his is on is also named after the song as well...

-- Dave

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood 'Big Red Balloon': Nancy sings to Lee in the song, "he'll never get that damn thing off the ground!" & at the end, she's "yelling up there to him" when he does!

-- Dave

B.B. King, 'Five Long Years': "She had the nerve...! She had the nerve...! She had the nerve, to put to put me out!"

Actually it's the "Ohhh!!!!" B.B. yells out at the end of the song!

-- Dave

At the very last moment of the fade-out on Ringo Starr's "You're Sixteen," Ringo asks, "Whaddya gonna do with that drunken sailor?" (Angel divine, huh?)

In the Steppenwolf song "Don't Step On The Grass, Sam" (from Steppenwolf The Second) from 1968, a man knocks on the door & there is conversation. Then a woman is yelling & we here the toliet flush!!:yikes:Matt Clark Sanford, MI

In the Steppenwolf song "Don't Step On The Grass, Sam", (from 'Steppenwolf, The Second') from 1968, a man knocks on the door & there is conversation. Then a woman is yelling & we here the toliet flush!!:yikes:

It's a drug bust! A cop "busting that pot party for possession of marijuana"! That woman is apparently flushing the stuff away! :laugh:

-- Dave

Aerosmith 'Combination' from their 1976 album Rocks: a squeak is heard (guitar feedback from the amplifier, perhaps?) at the end...!

-- Dave

Back
Top Bottom